Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

New Safety Video August 2019

Erasmus III likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Well upsides
The sub titles appear to match the spoken words, which is in alignment with accessibility guidelines.
Cabin crew are giving/leading the instructions and the demo.
Haven't fully checked but does appear using words and language structures from an ESOL dictionary for the instructions.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I quite liked it.
not my favourite but more tolerable than the last one!!
Is there a liveried plane to go with it?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bce1
I quite liked it.
not my favourite but more tolerable than the last one!!
Is there a liveried plane to go with it?
The plane in video appeared to be a the glider known as NZE. Which is an interesting choice. May be OKO which is capable of flying would have been a better choice?

No livery mentioned just the standard black livery used, which I prefer over the old Crazy About Rugby Livery.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Who knew you could fit 3x rugby players into an row of NZ 787 Y seats...
Bub001, ps107 and jawnbc like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Flying back from SYD today, I guess it will be loaded?
So was this the "announcement"?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Oh wow. I flew with her last November AKL-SIN. I wrote in to NZ with a compliment about the cabin crew. She was outstanding. And she looks exactly the same as in my photos from our flight.

(screen shot from video)

Otherwise..... interesting new safety video although I did enjoy the penguins in the old one.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Far from the worst and far from the best. But at least there's some All Black toddy to distract from the lame bits.

Last edited by jawnbc; Aug 2, 2019 at 1:01 am Reason: missed a word!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Easily the best safety video in a long time. Well done.
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Flying AKL- WGN this morning and we got Summer of Safety.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:06 am

Good, safe and sensible. Enjoyed the reference to the horrendous rap video which had me cringing in my seat every-time it came up
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Far better than the last, & man am I sick of the Northland one.
Personally I believe the safety message is lost in the desire to entertain however - therefore why are we forced to watch someone’s idea of humour etc?
If I hadn’t actively watched and listened hundreds of times I would have the impression that you should inflate life jacket directly after you put it on - can only imagine the chaos this would cause in case of a ditching.
Recent flight had 1d on Q300 - boarded to find someone in my seat so stood my ground and moved her. Only then did the FA notice she had leg in cast and took her out of exit row - the grief from pax around with no comprehension of why she shouldn’t be in that row was scary - but NZ (& other Airlines) make no attempt to explain the rationale of safety rules when doing so IMHO would make them more palatable.
On the face of it “no charging of e-cigarettes” would seem pointless and undermine the relevance of other restrictions, except to those who can figure it out.
Sat at the back of ATR last week next to someone complaining that his seat belt wouldn’t save him in a crash, and his choice if he died in one. He hadn’t thought of the effect of his (even dead) body going through the cabin at 400kmh at head height.
Maybe an educational “shock tactic” safety vid would work.
in saying that “cabin prepared for landing” 15 mins out and 15000ft seems a bit OTT.
Just sayin...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by freemark

Recent flight had 1d on Q300 - boarded to find someone in my seat so stood my ground and moved her. Only then did the FA notice she had leg in cast and took her out of exit row - the grief from pax around with no comprehension of why she shouldn’t be in that row was scary - but NZ (& other Airlines) make no attempt to explain the rationale of safety rules when doing so IMHO would make them more palatable.
While sitting in 1A on one of my flights last year I had a morbidly obese woman next to me in 1B request and be given a belt extension which is against policy. It's clearly not my job to tell crew their rules, but in that case she was an incredibly difficult passenger and I got the feeling the crew preferred to just give it to her rather than cause a scene - but at what cost does safety come into it when she's in an exit row and becomes an obstacle in an evacuation?

There are aspects of the safety video such as Air NZ changing their recommended brace position about 18 months ago (I'd need to check back to actually see what video it changed in) but there was no mention anywhere of the fact it's changed, yet somebody deemed this significant enough for a change to be incorporated into the safety video and cards.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I only watched ~2minutes of the current video (should see the remainder tomorrow if its loaded), but got the impression that it will become a tough watch for someone subjected to it on a weekly basis. I actually don't mind the Northland one (as an infrequent flyer), the only thing I roll my eyes at is the Scott Dixon reaction to the vessel only doing 35 knots...I don't mind the novelty so much, it's just they draw it out so much - they could easily halve the duration.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by brenrox
I only watched ~2minutes of the current video (should see the remainder tomorrow if its loaded), but got the impression that it will become a tough watch for someone subjected to it on a weekly basis. I actually don't mind the Northland one (as an infrequent flyer), the only thing I roll my eyes at is the Scott Dixon reaction to the vessel only doing 35 knots...I don't mind the novelty so much, it's just they draw it out so much - they could easily halve the duration.
Still got to be quicker than Emirates in 2, sometimes three languages
ps107 and brenrox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.