Wiki Posts
Search

Maximising status points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G
Maximising status points

just wanting a bit of an inside line on maximising status points while I’m working in Canada to try to retain gold.
my plans are return to NZ Feb-March in econom (ex-YUL), then Europe in May and One way back to NZ (PE or possibly BP) June. Poosibly a few domestic Canada or Transborder flights also.
I know AC will be doing YVR-AKL during the first trip but assume earn rate will be poor and haven’t been that impressed with them domestically. What is best time to book to maximise status point yield without getting completely destroyed on price?

Sorry about the novel
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Air Canada have good earn rates. The issue is those points don't count towards your required status point allowance with Air NZ for elite. You need I think around 900 (810 if existing elite) to be accrued on their metal to be eligible for Elite.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Air Canada have good earn rates. The issue is those points don't count towards your required status point allowance with Air NZ for elite. You need I think around 900 (810 if existing elite) to be accrued on their metal to be eligible for Elite.
AC have garbage earn to NZ on most domestic/TB routes - most economy fare buckets earn 0 SP.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Oh wow, interesting. I flied with them between USA and Canada and I had good earn rates. But there could be many factors at play there. Can't remember if I bought them on sale or not.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Unfortunately only the most expensive Economy fares on AC qualify for Airpoints earn. Even those that do qualify only accrue at discount economy level. Completely disgusting!

To maximise status earn, you will need to fly on NZ metal whenever possible or short haul partner flights in premium cabin, preferably with a connection.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Unfortunately only the most expensive Economy fares on AC qualify for Airpoints earn. Even those that do qualify only accrue at discount economy level. Completely disgusting!

To maximise status earn, you will need to fly on NZ metal whenever possible or short haul partner flights in premium cabin, preferably with a connection.

Good info - thanks! Is UA any better in this regard?
Also I assume the status point earn tends to improve closer to time of booking due to increase in price (e.g. fully flexi fare one way ~150 status points WLG-YUL) whereas at the moment in economy the fares are ~60 status points one way
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Balancerider
Good info - thanks! Is UA any better in this regard?
Also I assume the status point earn tends to improve closer to time of booking due to increase in price (e.g. fully flexi fare one way ~150 status points WLG-YUL) whereas at the moment in economy the fares are ~60 status points one way
UA's generally better as long as you avoid basic economy
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
[QUOTE=Balancerider;31337857]Good info - thanks! Is UA any better in this regard?

I can't comment on the comparison between AC vs UA earn rate but on UA a paid first class ticket on a non Polaris coast to coast service, I find the SP earn rate is not that much.

I do IAD - LAX or RDU - LAX twice a year (usually book 6 - 8 months in advance, fare class P which is their discounted business class fare) and only earn about 35 SPs which is the full economy earning rate & not the first class or business class earn rate.
This is similar to what you'd earn on a NZ Premium Economy TT fare.

United's website gives you the ability to search for flights by fare class which you can play with for the desired SPs you want to earn & $ you are willing to pay.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:49 am

Back in the day (2015, maybe?) you could book a coast to coast A fare and SDC it (for free, unpublished benefit as *G) to your heart's desire - it credited as first class for whatever reason.

I netted circa 200 SP by going BOS-EWR-ORD-DEN-SFO instead of BOS-SFO. Good times.
ps107 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Good old days of earning SP

Originally Posted by samyoull
Back in the day (2015, maybe?) you could book a coast to coast A fare and SDC it (for free, unpublished benefit as *G) to your heart's desire - it credited as first class for whatever reason.

I netted circa 200 SP by going BOS-EWR-ORD-DEN-SFO instead of BOS-SFO. Good times.
how many years of Gold Elite did you accumulate over these golden years ?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:41 am

Never hit elite as not enough flying on NZ, but lots of *G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.