Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Back in the old days, I used to bring my own container of water. But then liquids were deemed lethal by the Americans and the Brits and soon enough the rest of the world followed. From a practical perspective, it became too hard to bring your own non-lethal water on board with you.

Many, but not all airports, now offer water fountains where it's easier to fill your own bottle, but that's assuming you remember to empty your bottle pre-security; a step I have forgotten on several occasions only to have my bottle unceremoniously tossed in the trash along with hundreds of others. In Panama, I was exiting the country with an empty bottle that was confiscated because I wasn't permitted even that!

I personally believe we need to find better ways to do things when it comes to environmental issues. So eliminating water bottles onboard is, I think, a good thing. But I do think there should be a solution where passengers can easily bring their own liquids in their own containers. If the Americans want to invent TSA-approved bottles, fine; I'll go along with that. Another step the airlines could take is asking Boeing / Airbus to design sinks in or near the galleys to permit pax to refill containers. This obviously comes with its own set of issues (not the least of which could be unsavoury pax doing Stupid Things at the water refiller) but it's not an impossible problem to solve.

In any case, bravo to the Kiwis for taking one small step in the right direction! ^
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Another step the airlines could take is asking Boeing / Airbus to design sinks in or near the galleys to permit pax to refill containers. This obviously comes with its own set of issues (not the least of which could be unsavoury pax doing Stupid Things at the water refiller) but it's not an impossible problem to solve.
The 1980s called and want their idea back!

I recall water fountains and cups near the bathrooms on a few planes in my younger years. I even recall the Air NZ 767-200's having these.
brenrox likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:00 pm

The 744s had them as well, at least in their first fitout.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Before drinking the "potable" water or beverages made from it, I suggest asking the cabin crew if they drink it. Or if they have any idea the last time the tank was cleaned.
https://time.com/4978498/airline-dri...ater-bacteria/
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by Erasmus III
Three weeks ago, I received a pen, hand moisturiser and lip balm in BP flying AKL-LHR & back. By the time I returned, I had four of each. No slippers though - just a tiny pair of socks.
Just got back same amenities except no socks?
I am a huge fan of slippers on flights (my Air China sector had great ones), I usually have RM boots on and its a pain putting them on and off going to the bathroom!
**will have to bring some hotel ones next trip
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The 1980s called and want their idea back!

I recall water fountains and cups near the bathrooms on a few planes in my younger years. I even recall the Air NZ 767-200's having these.
The 763s had them to, they were located around the forward centre bathrooms.

Think the 77E’s have then in Y too on NZ? Can’t remember though (tend to avoid NZ 777s and Y).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I remember those drinking fountains, and the tiny little paper cups they used to have - like at a dentist! Potable water from the tank seems like the obvious answer... but only if there are systems in place that ensure it's safe and tastes OK. I've been put off it for life by reading about an FTers teenage son who did a school project involving testing water samples from the tanks on a range of different airlines and found fecal coliform, e. coli, salmonella and even maggot eggs on 7 out of the 9 flights where he tested the water!! That is naaaaaasty!

Surely technology exists to purify and sterilise water tanks on aircraft! But until I have some reassurance that modern aircraft have them, I ain't touching that water!

More detail on that story at these links:
https://www.flyertalk.com/the-tarmac...s-it-safe.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/b...-airplane.html
WSJ: How Safe is Airline Water? A story initiated by our youngest FTer
poopbunny likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Rebound
I have requested the LP before in PE and mostly they have obliged which has been good, occasionally offered BP wine but not on TT.
Oooh now that's a result! I've tried asking for it but never successfully... though come to think of that, I may have been on a TT flight.

Having said that, I could have sworn that we got pre-departure drinks in PE trans-Tasman recently, but now I'm doubting myself... though it's always been inconsistent, I think some crews just decide to do it anyway even if it's not strictly part of the protocol. Given that it's Dulcet, I've learned not to touch it.

The one exception was when they were running the Hi-Fly aircraft on AKL-SYD, and in addition to getting (old school) business class seats if you were booked in PE, you also got business class booze instead of the economy swill. Happy days!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Oooh now that's a result! I've tried asking for it but never successfully... though come to think of that, I may have been on a TT flight.

Having said that, I could have sworn that we got pre-departure drinks in PE trans-Tasman recently, but now I'm doubting myself... though it's always been inconsistent, I think some crews just decide to do it anyway even if it's not strictly part of the protocol. Given that it's Dulcet, I've learned not to touch it.
​​​​​​
LP would have been nice 'rebate' in PE, particularly after an unsuccessful RU applied at the end of your requalification, forever lost after.

I go through about one bottle champagne a week on average, not counting the ones consumed in-flight or at the lounge. In my wine circle where we blind taste wine, champagne always wins even amongst amateurs. TBF I have tasted a lot of sparkling much worse than Dulcet.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:59 pm

Last edited by poopbunny; Jul 11, 2019 at 1:17 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
...found. fecal coliform, e. coli, salmonella and even maggot eggs on 7 out of the 9 flights where he tested the water!! That is naaaaaasty!

Surely technology exists to purify and sterilise water tanks on aircraft! But until I have some reassurance that modern aircraft have them, I ain't touching that water!
I posted a link to Time above about the same issue.

When traveling, I am quite susceptible to food and water poisoning that is less than 'clean'. This is some form of body conditioning, acclimatised to high food / water standards. Being sick or having related health/digestive issues is the worst thing when traveling. Insurance does not compensate for lost time and inconvenience.

At AKL, airport was giving out free water bottle (departing airside - aftersecurity before Duty free) as part of Strata sign up promo. Members should also be able to score one.

At the lounge bar, I observed more people refilling empty bottles with the infused water and soda dispenser.

On plane, I asked for bottled water in J and was given Pump water.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I have to admit I'm all for these eco moves. I have changed a few things not just flying but in my life anyway around plastic. I never used to take a bottle on board but I eventually got into the habit and I'm pretty good at it now although sometimes I forget to actually fill it before the flight. Or at Changi I was filling it forgetting that security was at the gate so I had to find a water fountain or toilet to empty it. But they have water after security too usually hiding in a corner. They're not the only airport that doesn't have a separate place for liquid disposal.

Previously water bottles were one of the small gestures I really appreciated. Now I am really good at not touching them when given out. I put them in the overhead bin so they don't take up my seat pocket space or I don't use them when given out on trays. I just see plastic now and I hate it. I was pretty happy when a recent hotel had glass bottled water instead of plastic. I take note when ordering cocktails when alternative straws are used and decline plastic when offered. Guess that depends on the drink as thick smoothies are otherwise difficult. But I'm trying. I previously set my hot drink order to the takeaway cup then saw a social media post and thought 'yeah, I can change it to a regular cup'. I had viewed it as a convenience to have on the go if my flight was called but I can tell from the time I reach the lounge if I've got time for a hot drink and there's no need to order it in a single use cup. No biggie if I don't have time. I actually just bought a compressible reusable cup. The keep cup NZ and Qantas are advertising is not really travel friendly.

It's a minor effort for what hopefully has a positive impact for the environment. I just can't stand some of the rubbish pictures I've seen on the internet damaging the environment and marine / land life. Just have to adopt new habits. Practice makes perfect. It would be disgustingly selfish to ignore the impact of plastic and place one's convenience over the environment. (There are a couple of small exceptions to certain products). But it's an easy thing for people to do. You leave your plastic behind or throw it out and someone whisks it away for you and it's out of sight out of mind.

I've never had an upset stomach from plane food or water. More likely to get a blood nose from dry air or catch a cold from coughing passengers so I'm not too concerned about the water tanks. I don't actually get through my bottle of water but I do drink other liquids on board.

I have taken another flights slippers on board previously. They don't take up much room.

I guess I'm one of those travellers that's more about the seat than the service and amenities although I do still have some appreciation for them. All the minor issues can be worked around and I look forward to other airlines making an effort when it comes to plastic.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by poopbunny
I posted a link to Time above about the same issue.

When traveling, I am quite susceptible to food and water poisoning that is less than 'clean'. This is some form of body conditioning, acclimatised to high food / water standards. Being sick or having related health/digestive issues is the worst thing when traveling. Insurance does not compensate for lost time and inconvenience.

At AKL, airport was giving out free water bottle (departing airside - aftersecurity before Duty free) as part of Strata sign up promo. Members should also be able to score one.

At the lounge bar, I observed more people refilling empty bottles with the infused water and soda dispenser.

On plane, I asked for bottled water in J and was given Pump water.
It would stand to reason that instead of bringing lots of little bottles that they will bring separate tanks of water instead as this is a known issue about the planes inbuilt tanks being problematic.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
It would stand to reason that instead of bringing lots of little bottles that they will bring separate tanks of water instead as this is a known issue about the planes inbuilt tanks being problematic.
Yeah instead of a draw in a cart filled with bottles, get a bottle shaped liked a draw with a tap on it
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
​​​​​​
LP would have been nice 'rebate' in PE, particularly after an unsuccessful RU applied at the end of your requalification, forever lost after.

I go through about one bottle champagne a week on average, not counting the ones consumed in-flight or at the lounge. In my wine circle where we blind taste wine, champagne always wins even amongst amateurs. TBF I have tasted a lot of sparkling much worse than Dulcet.
I do however, suspect that they got a very sharp deal on the Dulcet because there are some much better NZ Methodes for the same price. I wonder if the "resealable" Zork closure has something to do with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.