FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1977310-another-enhancement-goodbye-water-bottles.html)

cavemanzk Jul 8, 2019 7:19 pm

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Great to see NZ introducing another product enhancement - no long will you have to find an place to but your water bottle in P/J

The airline is removing individual plastic water bottles from several flights for Plastic Free July, which it claims will stop more than 460,000 bottles heading to landfills and reduce carbon emissions by more than 300,000kg per year by reducing weight on the aircraft.
source: NewHub

Top of climb Jul 8, 2019 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 31283484)
Great to see NZ introducing another product enhancement - no longer will you have to find a place to put your water bottle in P/J

I took the press release to mean that they were dropping the large plastic water bottles they use for the meal services in favour of the blue carafes filled with potable water that they use for the water runs.

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 8, 2019 8:10 pm

Unlike with the newspaper one, this is definitely a change I would 100% support. We all have different opinions on the environment I am sure we have all realised that by now so I respect everyone else's opinion on it, but my take on it is that just because you are doing one bad thing for it (flying a plane) doesn't mean it isn't also a good thing to making smaller changes (removing plastic water bottles).

I have just recently gone mostly vegetarian (at home I eat vegetarian and I will choose vegetarian dishes but if I am offered meat by others or I am in a different culture that is meat heavy I won't say no). That is a much bigger change than just bringing my own water bottle. Fairly certain I can handle that "sacrifice" if I can go vegetarian.

sbiddle Jul 8, 2019 8:32 pm

Newshub didn't quite report the story in full. water bottles are only being removed from Works Deluxe, PE and BP on S2S routes under 5 hours.

What I found interesting was their mention that they're also removing individual plastic sauce sachets from BP on North America and Hong Kong flights. It's been about 3 years since I flew BP to/from HKG and I don't recall any sauce sachets nor so I recall ever seeing any on a flight to North America. Does anybody know what they mean by this?

I do know a few years ago the bacon BBQ roll came with a sachet of BBQ sauce for you to apply, but in recent times that or the bagel have some with sauce on it which I just assumed was from a bigger bottle.

The water bottle decision is something I don't fully agree with, I'm somebody who does drink a lot of water but typically don't take a bottle with me on a plane. Do I just ask for a whole 1.5L bottle now?!

drajknox Jul 8, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31283657)
Newshub didn't quite report the story in full. water bottles are only being removed from Works Deluxe, PE and BP on S2S routes under 5 hours.

What I found interesting was their mention that they're also removing individual plastic sauce sachets from BP on North America and Hong Kong flights. It's been about 3 years since I flew BP to/from HKG and I don't recall any sauce sachets nor so I recall ever seeing any on a flight to North America. Does anybody know what they mean by this?

I do know a few years ago the bacon BBQ roll came with a sachet of BBQ sauce for you to apply, but in recent times that or the bagel have some with sauce on it which I just assumed was from a bigger bottle.

The water bottle decision is something I don't fully agree with, I'm somebody who does drink a lot of water but typically don't take a bottle with me on a plane. Do I just ask for a whole 1.5L bottle now?!

i had the BBQ sauce to apply on several recent flights.

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 8, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31283657)

Just bring a bottle on board and ask them to fill it with water. If you want to bring a 1.5l bottle I guess you can do that. But right now they only give us small bottles and we have to go through multiple ones anyway, so instead of getting a new bottle, if you bring and finish a smaller water bottle, instead of taking a new one, just ask them to refill the smaller one.

Rebound Jul 8, 2019 10:01 pm

This is a good thing, i ask for a large bottle on LH flights and usually they give me one, saves topping up ete.

They are also moving to plant based coffee cups.

sbiddle Jul 8, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31283827)

They are also moving to plant based coffee cups.

Only problem with PLA based products is most cornstarch used is from GE corn. When the greenies discover that they won't be happy. 😀

trooper Jul 9, 2019 12:06 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31283864)
Only problem with PLA based products is most cornstarch used is from GE corn. When the greenies discover that they won't be happy. 😀

The variety of corn used for food is SO far removed from any original plant anyway its hard to see what difference GE could make! ;)

cavemanzk Jul 9, 2019 12:54 am

Ironically the welcome drink in PE is in an plastic cup, or has that now changed?

sbiddle Jul 9, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 31284121)
Ironically the welcome drink in PE is in an plastic cup, or has that now changed?

It's still a plastic cup (well it was last week TT). They're swapping to recyclable plastic for cups later in the year.

Everybody knows that plastic cup is my pet peeve about PE. It was hilarious to read a review yesterday from somebody who thought exactly the same thing.

Rebound Jul 9, 2019 2:29 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31284176)
It's still a plastic cup (well it was last week TT). They're swapping to recyclable plastic for cups later in the year.

Everybody knows that plastic cup is my pet peeve about PE. It was hilarious to read a review yesterday from somebody who thought exactly the same thing.

We'll they serve Economy wines in PE now which is a real shame

Gasfoodlodging Jul 9, 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31284282)

woah, that’s a bit rough. Since when?
food still the same as BP, just not with table cloth laid out?

Tag1987 Jul 9, 2019 6:23 am

Was literally just about to post about this as just got off my first flight this month. It’s not the removal of the water per se - I know I can press the call button and get more. It’s the gradual degradation of the BP product I’m disappointed about and that this cut just kind of shoved back in my face. Thus far we have:
  • slippers gone
  • moisturiser gone
  • pens gone
  • linen towels gone
  • bottled water gone
  • prawns gone
And that’s just onboard and what I can remember. Now you might be able to find justification for each and each may not impact you that much, but the problem I have is that premium travel is an experience and this is turning into death by a thousand cuts. It’s not that I particularly care if each or all of those things are there every trip - but I kinda expect to be able to get them if I ask. I can only imagine the cost pressures the business currently faces. But at what point are you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

All for the removal of waste - but this just seems to be cost cutting wrapped up as environmentalism.

mad_atta Jul 9, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31284282)

Yep, that's MY pet peeve.

If they were the economy wines from 15 years ago, that would be fine. But my god some of those wines are dire now. That foul cab/merlot! That sparkling swill Dulcet!! Those watery thin pinot noirs!!! You can be assured of a drinkable sav blanc, but anything beyond that is a super lucky break, which is really a depressing turn of events considering how good the Y class wines were once upon a time.