FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1977310-another-enhancement-goodbye-water-bottles.html)

sbiddle Jul 9, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging (Post 31284677)

woah, that’s a bit rough. Since when?
food still the same as BP, just not with table cloth laid out?

I'll take a stab and say around 2 years or so.

Food options are still similar.

rickg523 Jul 9, 2019 12:26 pm

Before drinking the "potable" water or beverages made from it, I suggest asking the cabin crew if they drink it. Or if they have any idea the last time the tank was cleaned.

sbiddle Jul 9, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tag1987 (Post 31284756)
. Thus far we have:
  • slippers gone
  • moisturiser gone
  • pens gone
  • linen towels gone
  • bottled water gone
  • prawns gone
And that’s just onboard and what I can remember.

When did the first three go? I've admittedly not flown longhaul since Feb now but pens and moisturiser existed then, and I've read a flight review of a flight to Japan somewhere only in the past month or so that still had slippers in BP (I can't remember if slippers were ever in PE but pretty sure they were also).

cavemanzk Jul 9, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 31284973)
Yep, that's MY pet peeve.
If they were the economy wines from 15 years ago, that would be fine. But my god some of those wines are dire now. That foul cab/merlot! That sparkling swill Dulcet!! Those watery thin pinot noirs!!! You can be assured of a drinkable sav blanc, but anything beyond that is a super lucky break, which is really a depressing turn of events considering how good the Y class wines were once upon a time.

Dulcet warm would be an whole lot better use being used as bio-fuel.... they must have got an very good deal on it (maybe be cheaper per liter of jet1A?).

Erasmus III Jul 9, 2019 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31286214)
When did the first three go? I've admittedly not flown longhaul since Feb now but pens and moisturiser existed then, and I've read a flight review of a flight to Japan somewhere only in the past month or so that still had slippers in BP (I can't remember if slippers were ever in PE but pretty sure they were also).

Three weeks ago, I received a pen, hand moisturiser and lip balm in BP flying AKL-LHR & back. By the time I returned, I had four of each. No slippers though - just a tiny pair of socks.

Rebound Jul 9, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 31284973)
Yep, that's MY pet peeve.

If they were the economy wines from 15 years ago, that would be fine. But my god some of those wines are dire now. That foul cab/merlot! That sparkling swill Dulcet!! Those watery thin pinot noirs!!! You can be assured of a drinkable sav blanc, but anything beyond that is a super lucky break, which is really a depressing turn of events considering how good the Y class wines were once upon a time.

I have requested the LP before in PE and mostly they have obliged which has been good, occasionally offered BP wine but not on TT.

Eltham Jul 9, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 31286259)
Dulcet warm would be an whole lot better use being used as bio-fuel.... they must have got an very good deal on it (maybe be cheaper per liter of jet1A?).

It’s Jet A1 🙄

Rebound Jul 9, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging (Post 31284677)

woah, that’s a bit rough. Since when?
food still the same as BP, just not with table cloth laid out?

Some time / over a year - it's punishing what they serve I often don't bother. Meal service is more premium but not the same as BP. Little things such as Greek Yogurt now not available, except in J.

Beckett66 Jul 9, 2019 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31284176)
It's still a plastic cup (well it was last week TT). They're swapping to recyclable plastic for cups later in the year.

Everybody knows that plastic cup is my pet peeve about PE. It was hilarious to read a review yesterday from somebody who thought exactly the same thing.

I would have been thrilled to get a drink in a plastic cup before my 7 1/2 hour flight to Perth in May. When I and another passenger asked the FA about a pre-flight drink we were informed that NZ don't have welcome drinks in PE and "hadn't for around 2 years". It'd been a while since I'd flown PE but I was sure at the time she was making this up.

sbiddle Jul 9, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Beckett66 (Post 31286612)
I would have been thrilled to get a drink in a plastic cup before my 7 1/2 hour flight to Perth in May. When I and another passenger asked the FA about a pre-flight drink we were informed that NZ don't have welcome drinks in PE and "hadn't for around 2 years". It'd been a while since I'd flown PE but I was sure at the time she was making this up.

You don't get a pre takeoff drink in PE and as stated haven't for quite a few years TT (I'd pick even longer than 2 years). It's the post takeoff drink that comes in a plastic cup. Obviously pre takeoff now you're not going to have a bottle of water either on TT flights.

sbiddle Jul 9, 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus III (Post 31286291)
Three weeks ago, I received a pen, hand moisturiser and lip balm in BP flying AKL-LHR & back. By the time I returned, I had four of each. No slippers though - just a tiny pair of socks.

I'm not aware of slippers being offered on any routes other than Japan (where they're a cultural thing).

Hand moisturiser isn't in the PE amenity kit, and I can't recall if it ever was historically or whether it was just the lip balm.

Beckett66 Jul 9, 2019 4:04 pm

Oh wow, that is economical. I'm so glad I didn't make a fuss.

Rebound Jul 9, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31286740)
I'm not aware of slippers being offered on any routes other than Japan (where they're a cultural thing).

Hand moisturiser isn't in the PE amenity kit, and I can't recall if it ever was historically or whether it was just the lip balm.

Was on both my Japan legs a few months ago, but yes only ever seen on the Japanese flights

NZ_Flyer Jul 9, 2019 4:37 pm

Not too bothered about removal of plastic water bottles - in fact I'd be happy if they sent FF'ers a reusable metal NZ-branded drink bottle and said bring this empty to the airport and use it to get water refills on board all your flights.

In terms of sustainability for amenity kits - the way to go would be to have a basket of amenities up in the galley that people could help themselves to (could replace plastic toothbrushes with wooden ones and have refillable pump bottles with hand, face and lip balm that people use and are refilled). Or otherwise take a tough stance and say the only amenities on board for PE/BP are pump bottles with moisturisers and lip balms available and please BYO toothbrush, toothpaste, socks/slippers, eyeshades. If they sent a couple of reminder emails 1 week and 1 day before then that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Erasmus III Jul 9, 2019 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer (Post 31286842)
In terms of sustainability for amenity kits - the way to go would be to have a basket of amenities up in the galley that people could help themselves to (could replace plastic toothbrushes with wooden ones and have refillable pump bottles with hand, face and lip balm that people use and are refilled).

Toothbrushes in BP are wooden now - agreed though that a basket of amenities would be nice in the bathroom.