Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Auckland Airport : So far behind Singapore's Changi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...gapores-changi

"Air New Zealand is a world leader in innovation. Why should the journey stop when you get off the plane? Because Auckland Airport is distracted, instead focused on playing catch-up after years of lining the pockets of shareholders.

What's made Air New Zealand world leading? Competition. Auckland Airport has none. I recently wrote about how New Zealand has one of the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia. I guarantee a second airport would attract them."

Some fair points in here, but also many questionable points. Air New Zealand has competition yet New Zealand has one if the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia? interesting. I can't fathom how a second airport could be justified
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:20 pm

Last edited by nzkarit; Apr 16, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chessboxin
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...gapores-changi

"Air New Zealand is a world leader in innovation. Why should the journey stop when you get off the plane? Because Auckland Airport is distracted, instead focused on playing catch-up after years of lining the pockets of shareholders.

What's made Air New Zealand world leading? Competition. Auckland Airport has none. I recently wrote about how New Zealand has one of the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia. I guarantee a second airport would attract them."

Some fair points in here, but also many questionable points. Air New Zealand has competition yet New Zealand has one if the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia? interesting. I can't fathom how a second airport could be justified
Well AKL is really an O&D airport not a transit airport. There aren't competing cities for NZ to Europe like there are Asia to Europe. SIN is competing with Hong Kong and Cathy or EK and DXB for example.

If NZ was to do this NZ would need to are it self up as Asia's gateway to South America or something.

Comparing SIN & AKL isn't really fair as they are in different businesses.

Don't get me wrong AKL is a terrible airport. But the commercial pressure isn't there to improve.

Also AirNZ doesn't want other international airports in NZ. They used the ALPA to get WLG's extension halted and sent back to the drawing board.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Agreed, it was a poorly researched article.

AKL really has room to improve but no incentive to do so.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Chessboxin
Agreed, it was a poorly researched article.
I stopped reading after the opening sentance where he described a larger plane waiting for a smaller plane to land as "farcical", realising he had no idea what he was talking about
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by brenrox
I stopped reading after the opening sentance where he described a larger plane waiting for a smaller plane to land as "farcical", realising he had no idea what he was talking about
i’m so glad it wasn’t just me irritated by that!

similarly apologising to French tourists for security queues- um wut? We can presumably safely assume that the writer has never been to CDG! Plenty of airports are a zoo at peak times- MEL is awful every time I go there, for example. AKL really doesn’t bother me, although some extra food options and some mild diversions would be nice, it’s not a deal breaker for me
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:23 pm

The author can't have been in any peak time Changi arrival queues.
stewardo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ps107
The author can't have been in any peak time Changi arrival queues.
You can apply for Singapore's e-gates
ps107 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As much as many of like to mock both domestic and international at AKL (and many of the problems are the fact the airport has only built facilities after they were needed rather than before) the simply reality is they are very much first world problems compared to the day to day issues that occur at many large airports overseas.
ps107 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You can apply for Singapore's e-gates
Thanks. Looks like they've relaxed the requirements recently so I should qualify now. Bit of a pain the registration desk is only open during office hours and my upcoming flights arrive/depart outside of office hours

Last edited by ps107; Apr 17, 2019 at 12:39 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:58 am

Re a couple of posts above, the author (Brook Sabin) is a former reporter and has traveled extensively (i.e the article I just skimmed from March 2017 said over 40 countries). You may laugh at his opinions but I guess claims he hasn't been to Changi or CDG are wrong..
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by b1m9t0
Re a couple of posts above, the author (Brook Sabin) is a former reporter and has traveled extensively (i.e the article I just skimmed from March 2017 said over 40 countries). You may laugh at his opinions but I guess claims he hasn't been to Changi or CDG are wrong..
then the article is even more idiotic than I thought
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

then the article is even more idiotic than I thought
Ugh, he's a "quit my job to get paid to travel" sponsored reviewer "influencer" type thing. I have learnt to disregard about 99% of what any of them write.

​​​​​​​https://www.onflightmode.com/about
Fliar and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by b1m9t0
I know exactly who he is (and his father); he was a very good political reporter, but he lost me with his opening paragraph on travel here
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
As international airports go, AKL isn't too bad, Arrivals is pretty speedy. Departures security could be more efficient and is a bit slow in summer season but its compact and easy to navigate, I preferred it before the recent refurb and the extra duty free shops for Asians visitors, but thats the market so you follow.
nancypants, Boofer and ps107 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.