FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Auckland Airport : So far behind Singapore's Changi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1965738-auckland-airport-so-far-behind-singapores-changi.html)

Chessboxin Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Auckland Airport : So far behind Singapore's Changi

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...gapores-changi

"Air New Zealand is a world leader in innovation. Why should the journey stop when you get off the plane? Because Auckland Airport is distracted, instead focused on playing catch-up after years of lining the pockets of shareholders.

What's made Air New Zealand world leading? Competition. Auckland Airport has none. I recently wrote about how New Zealand has one of the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia. I guarantee a second airport would attract them."

Some fair points in here, but also many questionable points. Air New Zealand has competition yet New Zealand has one if the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia? interesting. I can't fathom how a second airport could be justified

nzkarit Apr 16, 2019 6:20 pm

nzkarit Apr 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chessboxin (Post 31008137)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...gapores-changi

"Air New Zealand is a world leader in innovation. Why should the journey stop when you get off the plane? Because Auckland Airport is distracted, instead focused on playing catch-up after years of lining the pockets of shareholders.

What's made Air New Zealand world leading? Competition. Auckland Airport has none. I recently wrote about how New Zealand has one of the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia. I guarantee a second airport would attract them."

Some fair points in here, but also many questionable points. Air New Zealand has competition yet New Zealand has one if the lowest penetration rates of low-cost carriers anywhere in Asia? interesting. I can't fathom how a second airport could be justified

Well AKL is really an O&D airport not a transit airport. There aren't competing cities for NZ to Europe like there are Asia to Europe. SIN is competing with Hong Kong and Cathy or EK and DXB for example.

If NZ was to do this NZ would need to are it self up as Asia's gateway to South America or something.

Comparing SIN & AKL isn't really fair as they are in different businesses.

Don't get me wrong AKL is a terrible airport. But the commercial pressure isn't there to improve.

Also AirNZ doesn't want other international airports in NZ. They used the ALPA to get WLG's extension halted and sent back to the drawing board.

Chessboxin Apr 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Agreed, it was a poorly researched article.

AKL really has room to improve but no incentive to do so.

brenrox Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chessboxin (Post 31008353)
Agreed, it was a poorly researched article.

I stopped reading after the opening sentance where he described a larger plane waiting for a smaller plane to land as "farcical", realising he had no idea what he was talking about

nancypants Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox (Post 31008499)
I stopped reading after the opening sentance where he described a larger plane waiting for a smaller plane to land as "farcical", realising he had no idea what he was talking about

i’m so glad it wasn’t just me irritated by that!

similarly apologising to French tourists for security queues- um wut? We can presumably safely assume that the writer has never been to CDG! Plenty of airports are a zoo at peak times- MEL is awful every time I go there, for example. AKL really doesn’t bother me, although some extra food options and some mild diversions would be nice, it’s not a deal breaker for me

ps107 Apr 16, 2019 9:23 pm

The author can't have been in any peak time Changi arrival queues.

s0ssos Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ps107 (Post 31008690)
The author can't have been in any peak time Changi arrival queues.

You can apply for Singapore's e-gates

sbiddle Apr 16, 2019 9:37 pm

As much as many of like to mock both domestic and international at AKL (and many of the problems are the fact the airport has only built facilities after they were needed rather than before) the simply reality is they are very much first world problems compared to the day to day issues that occur at many large airports overseas.

ps107 Apr 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31008728)
You can apply for Singapore's e-gates

Thanks. Looks like they've relaxed the requirements recently so I should qualify now. Bit of a pain the registration desk is only open during office hours and my upcoming flights arrive/depart outside of office hours :rolleyes: :D

b1m9t0 Apr 17, 2019 2:58 am

Re a couple of posts above, the author (Brook Sabin) is a former reporter and has traveled extensively (i.e the article I just skimmed from March 2017 said over 40 countries). You may laugh at his opinions but I guess claims he hasn't been to Changi or CDG are wrong..

nancypants Apr 17, 2019 3:09 am

Originally Posted by b1m9t0 (Post 31009327)
Re a couple of posts above, the author (Brook Sabin) is a former reporter and has traveled extensively (i.e the article I just skimmed from March 2017 said over 40 countries). You may laugh at his opinions but I guess claims he hasn't been to Changi or CDG are wrong..

then the article is even more idiotic than I thought

ps107 Apr 17, 2019 3:37 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31009340)

then the article is even more idiotic than I thought

Ugh, he's a "quit my job to get paid to travel" sponsored reviewer "influencer" type thing. I have learnt to disregard about 99% of what any of them write.

​​​​​​​https://www.onflightmode.com/about

brenrox Apr 17, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by b1m9t0 (Post 31009327)

I know exactly who he is (and his father); he was a very good political reporter, but he lost me with his opening paragraph on travel here

Leaping_Deere Apr 17, 2019 4:46 am

As international airports go, AKL isn't too bad, Arrivals is pretty speedy. Departures security could be more efficient and is a bit slow in summer season but its compact and easy to navigate, I preferred it before the recent refurb and the extra duty free shops for Asians visitors, but thats the market so you follow.