Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Today’s [15th March 2019] Christchurch Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today’s [15th March 2019] Christchurch Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:15 am

I flew WLG-CHC on the last (AFAIK) ATR flight that left on Friday as things were unfolding. That and the previous ATR flight were not from G15 - and were not scheduled to be either (G19 and G10? - both land side of security). Both were delayed and without any announcements. Speaking to AirNZ staff - who all did a professional job - I sense things were very much an unknown at the airport. At one stage all flights to CHC were suspended - but they did not announce. Flexitime ticket could not move to earlier flight as extra seats being used by police. I tracked my incoming flight but did not have any certainty it would do the return leg to CHC until we were on the plane. JQ cancelled their only service to CHC (which is a jet and does have security).

Re luggage/screening - I suspected the issue was that on ATR services hand luggage is not screened, whereas on a jet it is.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Just FYI. Came to CHC at 6:30am for my international flight and as I went up the escalators I was greeted to the most insane domestic security line in New Zealand of my life. It snaked around basically the whole of the upstairs food court. Now I see why they didn't screen turbo planes! They didn't have the resources for it at all!

If you have an early morning flight, come early. VERY early. I know that I would have underestimated if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

International terminal is just as chill as ever.
ukflyer1 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: ANZ Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Just FYI. Came to CHC at 6:30am for my international flight and as I went up the escalators I was greeted to the most insane domestic security line in New Zealand of my life. It snaked around basically the whole of the upstairs food court. Now I see why they didn't screen turbo planes! They didn't have the resources for it at all!

If you have an early morning flight, come early. VERY early. I know that I would have underestimated if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

International terminal is just as chill as ever.
I flew CHC to NSN at 6.45am today. When I got to security at 5.30am, I was 4th inline. So your experience may not be the norm.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Sure, I don't think that everyone expects airport security lines to be the same at every hour of every day.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
This morning at 815am they had all 3 lanes open for xray so its was pretty fast, about 10 minutes or less total
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:14 pm

Are they still screening the turbo prop flights?
How are they regional area past security?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Flew WGTN-HAM via PNR yesterday (again!), no extra security anywhere.
My niece however came PER=AKL on Mon then AKL-Wgtn Tues & said it was insane in AKL. But she's Australian so perhaps that part of it.
Her and her mother (who came Weds) both on the ex SIA 772 and didn't much enjoy it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes all regional flights are screened.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Originally Posted by freemark
Flew WGTN-HAM via PNR yesterday (again!), no extra security anywhere.
Only CHC at this stage.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes all regional flights are screened.
As mentioned below only in Christchurch at the moment. Hopefully this is temporary.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:10 pm

In Chc how are they keeping the regional gates post security?
Dropping them out at gate 15 and making pax walk airside from there?
Buses from secure gate to plane?
Or putting some temporary walls up to make a tunnel from G15 along corridor, down escalators etc? Tunnel the regional arrives under escalator so don't mix with regional departures?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
In Chc how are they keeping the regional gates post security?

Or putting some temporary walls up to make a tunnel from G15 along corridor, down escalators etc? Tunnel the regional arrives under escalator so don't mix with regional departures?
Looked pretty much like this explained as above. One not so good upshot is koru lounge is packed with all regional departures
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:28 am

How are disabled passengers being accommodated for the regional flights? I don't believe that there is an elevator from the secure area into the regional area (for obvious reasons), so the only way would be via. the escalators or stairs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G
Originally Posted by codyc1515
How are disabled passengers being accommodated for the regional flights? I don't believe that there is an elevator from the secure area into the regional area (for obvious reasons), so the only way would be via. the escalators or stairs.
There's a lift inside gate 15 which goes down, wheelchair customers are then taken airside along to the other regional gates.
samyoull likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Three lanes running at 4:00pm Friday at CHC security.
5 minutes from entry of the line to being in the packed lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.