FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Today’s [15th March 2019] Christchurch Cancellations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1960983-today-s-15th-march-2019-christchurch-cancellations.html)

mikalee Mar 15, 2019 6:00 am

Today’s [15th March 2019] Christchurch Cancellations

Watching the news tonight in Aus about the tragic and sorrowful attacks in Christchurch.

I did did see a clip where ANZ cancelled all prop services in and out of Christchurch but that jet services were continuing.

Does anyone know the the reason for this differentiation presumably on security grounds? I found it intriguing.

QTFLYER Mar 15, 2019 6:04 am

I assume it was based on the fact that turboprop departures don't have any security measures in place. There are no xray scanners of baggage and no metal detectors to pass through. This is reserved for jet departures.

NZbutterfly Mar 15, 2019 7:33 am

The turboprops will depart tomorrow but with increased security measures.

sbiddle Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm

All turboprop luggage is screened, it's simply passengers that aren't

NZbutterfly Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30891261)
All turboprop luggage is screened, it's simply passengers that aren't

Fastbag isn’t.

sbiddle Mar 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 30891619)

Fastbag isn’t.

Nope.. But my understanding is all checked baggage is screened at all domestic airports with jets now.

This is to avoid having to rescreen bags that are then transferred to jet services at another airport.

jeffrocowboy Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm

I think AirNZ could have been a bit quicker offering flexibility re Chch bookings for this weekend - initially it was only offered for Friday flights. It was immediately obvious this was of a unprecedented scale.

OZFLYER86 Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by QTFLYER (Post 30889846)
I assume it was based on the fact that turboprop departures don't have any security measures in place. There are no xray scanners of baggage and no metal detectors to pass through. This is reserved for jet departures.

so why couldn't they just put turbo prop passengers through the same security as jet passengers ?

nzkarit Mar 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30893012)
so why couldn't they just put turbo prop passengers through the same security as jet passengers ?

Because have to get people from the secure area to the gates/plane keeping them secure. Gate 15 I think can swing secure/not secure but rather of gates for Turbo Props can't do that

OZFLYER86 Mar 15, 2019 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 30893045)
Because have to get people from the secure area to the gates/plane keeping them secure. Gate 15 I think can swing secure/not secure but rather of gates for Turbo Props can't do that

why not use a bus from jet gate to turbo prop ?

cavemanzk Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 (Post 30893053)
why not use a bus from jet gate to turbo prop ?

Its more likely due to the lack of resources todo so e.g. the Jet screening already has limited staffing that barely covers the jet services at peak times.

Nathan Catton Mar 16, 2019 12:19 am

Apparently all domestic departing passengers (turboprop and jet) were being screened at CHC today.

Hector99 Mar 16, 2019 12:49 am

The area by koru express was sealed off. The dash to Wellington was via 15c and after security for the jets.
V quiet day there. No wait at screening at 540pm

Nathan Catton Mar 16, 2019 1:00 am

All regional flights would now be subject to passenger and baggage screening for at least the next 48 hours, the airline said in a written statement.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...dSVxXPscEewWBo

sbiddle Mar 16, 2019 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Hector99 (Post 30893156)
The area by koru express was sealed off. The dash to Wellington was via 15c and after security for the jets.
V quiet day there. No wait at screening at 540pm

I thought pretty much 99% of CHC-WLG turboprop flights were from G15 now to allow easier access from the main Koru and make the overall experience a bit more jet like.