Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Connection time INTL to domestic at AKL on separate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time INTL to domestic at AKL on separate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Arriving on 11 Dec on NZ7, which is scheduled to arrive at 5:45 AM.

Will need to book a separate ticket to CHC.

NZ has flights to CHC departing on the hour around the clock it appears.

Would the 8 AM flight be too optimistic? I would assume 9 AM departure would be safe but that appears to be the most expensive flight of the day while the 10 AM flight is less than 1/3 according to Google Flights, though that may reflect different types of tickets, with or without checked baggage allowance.
Just a reminder to book on the .co.nz website to access fares not marketed outside NZ.

Flexidate fare is allows free changes on the day, & refunds
Flexitime fare allows free changes on the day of travel.
Seat and Bag is fixed non-refundable with 1 checked bag
Seat is fixed non-refundable with no bag
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
On Friday when I arrived from IAH had a five minute wait for bags and one person in front of me at MPI. In the domestic Koru lounge less than 40 minutes after landing.
The strategy to buy two flexitime seats will work perfectly. One for your preferred flight, and one for a later back up option. Fully refund the one you don't need.
Personally I have no issue with a two hour connect from Int to Domestic. I will often book shorter and have never missed (yet).
Safe travel.
WLGNZ
just a small clarification, I think you mean "flexidate" since "flexitime" is not refundable. The names are stupid since the flextime is not really flexi!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
just a small clarification, I think you mean "flexidate" since "flexitime" is not refundable. The names are stupid since the flextime is not really flexi!
And Flexidate fare changes normally involve paying $$$

If your ever plan on changing dates just buy multiple Flexidate fares and cancel the unused one.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I know I'm posting in an old thread, thanks for the help in advance..

I'll be arriving in AKL at 9:40AM on a Thursday via American Airlines.
I booked a non-flex NZ connecting ticket to ZQN (with Amex points) for a 12:00PM departure - which I cannot change. So 2:20 connection
I originally wasn't going to check bags, but now I want to bring my tent for camping (which I understand could slow customs down)

Would you be worried about this?
How much of a delay does bringing a tent typically cause?
What's my best avenue to cover myself in the event of a delay - should i buy trip insurance?

Cheers
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't know about tents but you will have to take your checked bag from the international to domestic terminal yourself. There's either a free bus or you walk

They don't interline and NZ can be strict about weight.

Not sure if it's enough connection time. If your AA flight to AKL arrives late, then you will have to probably pay for a change fee to a later flight.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
We have brought a tent before.
NZ has very strict Bio Security rules and processes. Any camping equipment will be subject to close scrutiny that could add up to an hour.
Best advice it ensure the tent and any other equipment is spotless with no organic matter of any sort.
Ours was clean, took about half an hour for them to do their thing.

2:20 is tight to begin with as queues in Bio screening can be long before having camping gear.
With carry on only, I routinely make aircraft door to AirStream for coffee in 15 mins, but timing depends on Bio Security lines.

I would look to change to a later flight.Better to be killing time in AKL Dom than stressing on the flight and the days leading up to it.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I don't know about tents but you will have to take your checked bag from the international to domestic terminal yourself. There's either a free bus or you walk

They don't interline and NZ can be strict about weight.

Not sure if it's enough connection time. If your AA flight to AKL arrives late, then you will have to probably pay for a change fee to a later flight.
Air NZ have a check-in / bag drop in the international terminal. Many people arrive in NZ in non Air NZ flights. Some on the same ticket and others on separate tickets.

Make sure your tent, hiking boots, etc are 110% clean. Bio security will be interested. Or buy a tent in New Zealand.

As above, if the AA flight is late you may have problems. 2:20 is not a lot when arriving in a wide body aircraft. Today AA83 scheduled at 09:40 is 3 minutes early. NZ283 from SIN scheduled at 09:35 is 3 minutes late. AKL arrivals at this time of day is busy
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/flights

There is big difference between normal carry-on for USA airlines and normal carry-on for NZ/Aust airlines. People have less carry-on and aircraft take less time to board - disembark.

You should have full travel insurance, but that may not cover missed flights

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...n-new-zealand/

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...-your-arrival/
thegingninj likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Oh the bio security screening didn't even occur to me.

Yeah they will check your shoes, if you say you've hiked in wilderness or visited farms.

May be worth investigating whether you can rent tents over there.

BTW, I was in the South Island last month and I don't know where you'd camp but the conditions were very windy and cold at times. Still snow on the peaks of the mountains around Queenstown when I was there the 3rd week of December.

Also, if you have hay fever, it was brutal, at least for me. You will want access to a hot shower every day and being able to launder your clothes if you have allergies.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I would definitely be worried about that connection time. I'd say 95% of time me and my family make those sorts of connections but we have also missed some too. Because we are on a single ticket though we just get put on the next plane. It comes down to just how busy international security is.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Thank you everyone for the extremely helpful and quick replies.

I just called AMEX and was able to change our flight time to the 2PM departure for just $29USD Per ticket. That is much cheaper than I imagined it would be, what a relief!

Thanks again - Cheers!
Mwenenzi and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegingninj
I just called AMEX and was able to change our flight time to the 2PM departure for just $29USD Per ticket. That is much cheaper than I imagined it would be, what a relief!
That was a good move. Money well spent
Also look at the Air NZ t&c's for carry-on and checked baggage weight & size.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thegingninj
Thank you everyone for the extremely helpful and quick replies.

Thanks again - Cheers!
Good call, enjoy your time in NZ
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:06 am

Reviving an old thread. Looking to book flights from TPE-AKL-WLG and have a couple questions related to connecting international to domestic at AKL:
  • When booking TPE-WLG on NZ website, the suggested flights have a 95 min connection time at AKL (NZ87 arriving at 10:25am and NZ425 departing 12pm). According to the posts upthread, 95 minutes seem quite tight? What would be a realistic connection time? We'll have checked bags and with TW and US passports.
  • Also considering TPE-AKL-NPL-WLG and perhaps do some flightseeing on the prop planes. Will this have any impact on connection time?
  • If we booked a domestic flight (booking class Y when booked together with the international legs) with long connection, will we be able to change to an earlier flight for free?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Jun 1, 2023 at 6:04 am
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Reviving an old thread. Looking to book flights from TPE-AKL-WLG and have a couple questions related to connecting international to domestic at AKL:
  • When booking TPE-WLG on NZ website, the suggested flights have a 95 min connection time at AKL (NZ87 arriving at 10:25am and NZ425 departing 12pm). According to the posts upthread, 95 minutes seem quite tight? What would be a realistic connection time? We'll have checked bags and with TW and US passports.
  • Also considering TPE-AKL-NPL-WLG and perhaps do some flightseeing on the prop planes. Will this have any impact on connection time?
  • If we booked a domestic flight with long connection, will we be able to change to an earlier flight for free?
Thank you in advance.
Point 3 - if you book a Flexi fare you will be able to change flight. Assuming there is space on an earlier flight.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
95 mins is fine on a good day. The problem is biosecurity screening and customs is still pretty erratic.

Two weeks ago it took me 10 mins to get through after landing from HKG but I'm still aware of pretty significant wait times (45+ mins) some mornings when all the US arrivals come in.
​​​​​​
If you strike a 45 min delay you will not make that connection of you have checked bags.

It's the fare basis and not the booking class that determines if a domestic flight can be changed.

A domestic flight on the same booking as an international is automatically a flexi - but if you're going to book a separate flight you'll need to buy one of the flexi fares if you want to be able to change.
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.