Wiki Posts
Search

SQ reward flight earn rate on NZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
SQ reward flight earn rate on NZ

I've never booked award flights on SQ but I have a bunch of Amex points to burn which can be transferred to KrisFlyer at a favorable rate. Very naïve question: if I book a flight with KrisFlyer miles instead of actual $$, and earn to NZ, do the APD and SP earn rates differ from what's on the NZ calculator? My guess was that they would earn 0 APD but maybe the same rate for SP, but after a couple of searches I didn't see a clear answer on this. Does anybody on here do this regularly?
thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Simpler way to ask this question is just what are the fare classes for award flights on SQ? Then I can just compare those to the airpoints calculator... Perhaps it's zero earn.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Zilch APD and SP credit for award flights AFAIK. Goodness, SQ earn on expensive paid fare classes earn almost nothing on NZ.....
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Are there any programs which let you earn status on award bookings? Not counting "any seat awards" as I believe even the stingy QF let you earn SC and QP on those.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:14 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smanch
I've never booked award flights on SQ but I have a bunch of Amex points to burn which can be transferred to KrisFlyer at a favorable rate. Very naïve question: if I book a flight with KrisFlyer miles instead of actual $$, and earn to NZ, do the APD and SP earn rates differ from what's on the NZ calculator? My guess was that they would earn 0 APD but maybe the same rate for SP, but after a couple of searches I didn't see a clear answer on this. Does anybody on here do this regularly?
thanks!
It's a reward ticket. So earns nothing even if you could change the FF program which AFAIK you are unable to.

I regularly book reward flights on SQ.

NB: SQ have devalued redemptions for bookings made from 24 January 2019.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
No APD/SP on any Star Alliance award tickets, you can however change the FFP on the booking from where you redeemed the miles - have done this quite a bit on both AC and UA.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
You could also just use the "book travel" with points option on AMEX. Those tickets are booked as revenue tickets. The value proposition isn't always as good, obviously.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by smanch
Simpler way to ask this question is just what are the fare classes for award flights on SQ? Then I can just compare those to the airpoints calculator... Perhaps it's zero earn.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star...apore-airlines
That should help
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everybody. Looks like a lot of waitlisted dates when I need the SQ tix anyway...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.