Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
If it is easier now I would try it again!

Last edited by Beano; Jul 17, 2023 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Might give it a go on an upcoming trip - no checked bags, and also assuming OLCI is working. Will report back.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Might give it a go on an upcoming trip - no checked bags, and also assuming OLCI is working. Will report back.
In that situation you would be fine.

I'd be keen to hear current reports. I'm keen to give it a go in Oct as I'll be at the airport over 3 hours before so can hopefully check in and drop bags and head over for at least a quick visit.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:42 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Take some photos of the inside and the menu if you go to the Polaris lounge .
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I have used Polaris a couple of times before NZ27. No issues with entry.
Keep in mind the terminal bus can be slow..... I experienced it taking 45 minutes from leaving Polaris to arriving at Terminal 5 last month.
A long walk end to end in terminal 5 (bus arrives at the Delta end) and they were boarding as I arrived to the NZ27 gate.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I have used Polaris a couple of times before NZ27. No issues with entry.
Keep in mind the terminal bus can be slow..... I experienced it taking 45 minutes from leaving Polaris to arriving at Terminal 5 last month.
A long walk end to end in terminal 5 (bus arrives at the Delta end) and they were boarding as I arrived to the NZ27 gate.
When I last flew back from ORD in 2019 I was keen on visiting but saw posts in one of the US forums on here from people saying it can be 1hr - 1hr15 gate to gate to get between terminals (from memory the bus was every 15 mins then). My "never again" comment above was from somebody who took over an hour to get from lounge to gate.

I asked a friend who used to go through ORD regularly and his advice was to check in at T5 and then use the ATS to get to the other terminals and clear security there (rather than clearing security in T5 and using the airside bus).

With Delta moving to T5 now it would be good to get some recent feedback as to whether the inter terminal bus is any better.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:54 pm

Slightly unrelated, but just wondering if anyone can advise best tips to transfer from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1 ? and typical timing these days?

Flying into T5 on airnz next month and then connecting onto a United flight to Dublin from T1 (separate tickets).

I have just over 3 hours between flights. I’m gold elite, but traveling with two others with silver status.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Elite Flyer2
Slightly unrelated, but just wondering if anyone can advise best tips to transfer from Terminal 5 to Terminal 1 ? and typical timing these days?

Flying into T5 on airnz next month and then connecting onto a United flight to Dublin from T1 (separate tickets).

I have just over 3 hours between flights. I’m gold elite, but traveling with two others with silver status.
Since you have to clear CBP on arrival you have two options -

1) stay landside after you clear CBP and then use the airport ATS to get to T1 and then clear security in T1

2) clear CBP and then go through security at T5 and then use the airside bus discussed above to get to T1

Timing had always been variable and you're probably best to ask in a US airline or ORD forum about specific timings these days.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Reporting back - my visit went as planned (OLCI, no checked bags, was not connecting from a same day flight at ORD). I went through priority access TSA screening at T1 (which can be very quick and painless usually in my experience), and then walked to the Polaris lounge. I am a fast walker, and it wouldn't take most folks much more than 10 mins from the screening point. As you would expect, the lounge is very good, with shower rooms that are bookable ala *G at LAX. I didn't eat, but the F&B options were good.

I probably spent 90 mins there, and then started the inter-terminal journey. As others report, the bus waiting point is next to Gate B1, and not close to the Polaris lounge. Bus times are posted as every 15 min at present. The bus waiting/boarding/journey is definitely more lengthy than many may assume - I spied a few time-nervous connectees waiting/on the bus. The bus journey is great for avgeeks - we had to reverse 20 feet near to one taxiway so a 747 could glide the end of it's wing over us!

By the time I reached the T5 gate for NZ27, I clocked the entire Polaris to gate journey at just over an hour (and I assumed that kind of timing for my planning purposes). In short, I would definitely do it next time, providing I had that amount of time available - for the above, you are basically heading into T1 +4 hr pre-NZ27 departure time. If you have the time, know where you are going in advance, it's probably worth it, especially if you want to get a shower/eat a decent meal etc.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:34 pm

Slightly unrelated but does anyone know how long it takes to get through customs roughly at ORD off NZ26 these days?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elite Flyer2
Slightly unrelated but does anyone know how long it takes to get through customs roughly at ORD off NZ26 these days?
US Govt web site. Select ORD -->https://awt.cbp.gov/
ORD 18:00-19:00 23min avg, 48min max

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.