Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by chitink

you cant check in earlier to get boarding pass? Even without checked luggage?
AirNZ doesn't have open checkin desks earlier
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:59 pm

separate ticket to get to ORD, but will be on United so should be able to through check luggage

will I be able to access Polaris lounge with ANZ app boarding pass? assuming United agents won't print ANZ boarding passes at original airport which seems lofty

will be too much trouble to access lounge otherwise so wouldn't prioritize United to get to ORD if not possible
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I find UA prints boarding pass through to NZ at the first airport. So you should have the AirNZ boarding pass when you arrive to ORD.
AirNZ will want to print you an AirNZ boarding pass before you get on the plane in ORD. I suggest being proactive on this when you arrive over to the gate.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
UA will print your NZ BP at originating airport, even on a separate ticket - if they don't I'm sure the Polaris lounge agents can do it too.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Polaris lounge ord

Originally Posted by trooper
So I assume that for some reason the ORD Polaris lounge is not available to NZ27 pax?
the lounge is available but you require lots of extra time .
I arrived at terminal 5 3.5 hrs before departure the checkout person said they had been there for 20 minutes and we were not the first
It took 20 minutes to get from terminal 5 to get to terminal 1
taking the right lane (*g) in the premium area the immigration was very fast (only 2 in the queue )
the Polaris is pretty close
But it takes about 45 minutes to get from terminal 1 to terminal 3 to take the air side bus and reach terminal 5
the arrival at term 5 is very close to the airnz gate
it's really too hard/stressful trying get to the polaris lounge within a 3hrs framework

Menu from polaris lounge

Polaris menu

trooper likes this.

Last edited by Beano; Mar 18, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
My last 3 trips to the US with UA connections - one out via LAX ex DFW, one via SFO ex SEA and one via IAH ex DFW - I haven't had my boarding pass re-printed on these three trips- on each occasion the check-in machine directed me to a UA agent who scanned my passport and tapped a few keys and printed out my internal US, NZ international and NZ domestic boarding passes and all three worked all the way through. I wasn't called up to the desk and they scanned fine. I definitely was last year - not 100% sure when it stopped.

Sorry off topic with the ORD thread - but relevant to comments above
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's not you, ORD Terminal 5 contains some of the worst airline lounges in the United States and arguably the world. In 2016 I was unfortunate enough to have two international trips from there (one KE and one QR) and my experiences at the AF and BA Lounges were really subpar. I try to avoid ORD T5 because of the bad lounges in fact.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Ord Polaris lounge

Originally Posted by CMK10
It's not you, ORD Terminal 5 contains some of the worst airline lounges in the United States and arguably the world. In 2016 I was unfortunate enough to have two international trips from there (one KE and one QR) and my experiences at the AF and BA Lounges were really subpar. I try to avoid ORD T5 because of the bad lounges in fact.
Yet the Polaris lounge in terminal one is one of the best
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
You've clearly never been though HNL! 😀

I actually had zero issues with the SAS lounge as a place to sit for an hour or so before my flight. Food was better than most UA lounges, the beer was cold, the Wi-Fi was fine and it wasn't crowded.

Sure it's no Polaris but to say they're some of the worst in the world is really stretching it. It's a million times better than a typical ANA domestic lounge as a comparison.
samyoull likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You've clearly never been though HNL! 😀
Getting way off topic, but HNL UA lounge is one of the best in the system, the agents there are fantastic.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Sure it's no Polaris but to say they're some of the worst in the world is really stretching it. It's a million times better than a typical ANA domestic lounge as a comparison.
You're right, but the terminal still contains the AF/KL Lounge and the BA Lounge which in my opinion are among the worst in the world. Though I am spoiled and prone to fits of hyperbole
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:51 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
This probably comes back to aircraft doing a fairly tight turn at ORD, and what is likely the lack of gate availability in Terminal 1 for additional wide-body departures. ANA and LH depart from Terminal 1, but the ANA plane appears to be on the ground for much longer. However, the LH flight to FRA has about a 3 hour turn so clearly not impossible to arrive T5, tow over to T1 and depart from those gates.

LH departs out of the high B gates with a 748, so clearly they could fit a 789 there. The UA widebody gates in C would probably all be occupied for the NZ27 departure time as European flights go around that time.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by evanroberts
This probably comes back to aircraft doing a fairly tight turn at ORD, and what is likely the lack of gate availability in Terminal 1 for additional wide-body departures. ANA and LH depart from Terminal 1, but the ANA plane appears to be on the ground for much longer. However, the LH flight to FRA has about a 3 hour turn so clearly not impossible to arrive T5, tow over to T1 and depart from those gates.

LH departs out of the high B gates with a 748, so clearly they could fit a 789 there. The UA widebody gates in C would probably all be occupied for the NZ27 departure time as European flights go around that time.
LH/NH and UA are far more tightly integrated - to the point that you can use a UA GPU to upgrade on NH/LH. NZ isn't anywhere near that cozy with UA (yet?)
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Has anyone had any recent experience with entering ORD at T1 to visit the Polaris lounge, and then using the transit bus to stay airside and head to T5 for NZ27? Presume this is all doable since the bus service started up again post-COVID?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Has anyone had any recent experience with entering ORD at T1 to visit the Polaris lounge, and then using the transit bus to stay airside and head to T5 for NZ27? Presume this is all doable since the bus service started up again post-COVID?
I only know one person who has ever tried this and have not seen a single post here of FT from anybody who has done this despite it being discussed in multiple threads over the years.

In my friends words "never again".

I'm flying BP back from ORD in Oct so was contemplating trying it, but will have checked bags so it really limits things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.