Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky couch--your thoughts please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Sky couch--your thoughts please

I am writing to ask your thoughts about the Skycouch. We are an older couple and each of us is about 5'5" a little on heavy side ;-( We typically have chosen PY, but this time I thought we might try the SkyCouch from LAX-AKL-LAXand save a little money. I would very much appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:40 pm

I like it but from previous threads on this forum I think I am in the minority - last thread I reckon it split about 80-20 in favour of PY over SkyCouch. Some dexterity is required; my wife and I are in our thirties, I'm 5'9" and she is 5'7" and we didn't have any issues but there was a bit of contorting involved in finding a comfortable position and then extracting ourselves in the morning. Food and drink is not particularly important to us and so we prefer to be able to curl up flat over the PY seat and product.

The service protocol is to offer paid Skycouch passengers any spare Skycouches if they are unsold and unassigned at check-in. So you may be able to get lucky with a Skycouch each. But I would see that as a bonus if it happens, rather than counting on it happening.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Never used it, but read mixed reviews - esp for two adults. If the row in front reclines then space looks cramped to me for a couple.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/thepo...-skycouch/amp/
https://www.ausbt.com.au/review-air-...china-airlines
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:31 am

I've used it twice now (once several years ago from LAX-AKL and then AKL-HNL 5 months ago) and agree that I like it.

The first time I got it for free assigned in the lounge but the second time I paid for it. Both flights were overnight so sleeping was a priority.

People tend to get it for two reasons either to spread out (having the extra seat) or to lay flat and sleep and I've always had someone with me (but they've been smaller) so we've been able to lie down however before spending the money I'd suggest measuring out 155cm by 74cm on a bed or the floor and then trying to fit 2 people within that space. Those are the dimensions of the flat skycouch once it's been put together.

The other small but minor benefit is the extra legroom, Skycouch rows tend to have an extra 2 inches of legroom compared to seats in the back part of Economy.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I've never tried it. But what I would say is that if you are sharing it with another person, that unless you can sleep spooning/cuddling it will be useless as a bed. It's so cramped. I know I can't sleep in a single bed or couch spooning someone else myself. For two people, I would much rather spring for discounted PE.
​​​
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
We in our thirties (BMI 20 and 21) 5"9, works great. Again don't care about food etc so if we cant be flat in business rather do it in Y than get a PE product. We now tend to buy 2 sky couches for the kids (1 and 3) which works even better and saves buying 3x J seats!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Man. Buying J for your kids. I always look at families that spring for J for a whole family and I am like "how do you have so much money?!" It's extremely expensive for two adults as it is. I am sure the kids love it though. I know I would have over old long haul economy that had no seat back entertainment!

​​​​
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I don't regard the Skycouch as a suitable product for your average adult couple if the plan is to lie flat and sleep.

Yes if you're small and short and don't move around it can work OK, and if you're by yourself and short it's not bad either. If you're an adult with small kids it's also perfect.
taupo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
On a recent trip what I noticed was that when there were two adults using, one seemed to lie (in all sorts of weird positions) and one sat - did not see 2 adults lying side by side. Looks really uncomfortable to me (but then I'm tall-ish).
Bub001 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Don’t fall into the marketing hype. If it was a good idea, other airlines would have implemented a similar offering. I’ve seen couples on a skycouch in a 789 and they looked like they were in pain
Bub001 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:23 pm
Original Member

Loved my skycouch on flight to NRT, infact it was better than PE, but I had it all to myself ! Wouldn't want to be squashed in there with anything other than a baby or small child.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I'm 5'6" and 175# (all man baby! *burp*). I was given a Sky Couch on a SIN AKL flight. It was much better than a regular economy class seat. But I still struggled to stretch out enough to relax. In PE I am more comfortable. In both scenarios I take a sleeping pill.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
I think the overall answer is, it depends how close you want to be with your partner and how big you are (horizontal and vertical!) I don't mind "spooning" but frankly if the alternative is 2 Y seats, the price differential is not that significant even if you took your sleep in shifts.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dadig
Don’t fall into the marketing hype. If it was a good idea, other airlines would have implemented a similar offering. I’ve seen couples on a skycouch in a 789 and they looked like they were in pain
I stumbled upon this today...

ANA Couchii
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/es/serviceinfo/international/optional_svc/couchii/

Looks similar but it's also available in the middle group of four seats.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The ANA seat and Air China (who have scrapped the seat but still paying licencing fees for another couple of years) are both Skycouch seats used under licence.

Joon also offer their own rip off on the middle 4 seats on their A340 but you have to build it yourself with the headrests.
ps107 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.