Points to attain elite

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Posts: 216
Points to attain elite

Currently 200 points away from attaining Elite for the first time. I will be flying Business from LHR to AKL (NZ5/NZ1) in a couple of weeks time which should attain me 484 status points.

My question is, does the excess 284 points count towards renewing Elite for the next year, or do I simply just lose these points. I remember that when renewing Gold these excess points aren't carried over for renewal so I assume this is the same for Elite?

Thanks
BZNZ is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Posts: 424
Gone forever if it is your first time at Elite level. 284 become vapour ware.
kiwicyclo is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:47 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Posts: 216
Hmmm, do the points post separately for NZ1 (LHR to LAX) and then NZ5 (LAX to AKL), or does it post in one transaction?
BZNZ is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 6,183
Originally Posted by BZNZ
Hmmm, do the points post separately for NZ1 (LHR to LAX) and then NZ5 (LAX to AKL), or does it post in one transaction?
Single transaction because it's a journey and ticketed as one.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: Nz*G
Posts: 105
Nothing more to add except man that sucks mate!
Lpmnz is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 148
If you moan via email youll likely get an agreement for some lee way if youre short on retaining next cycle though. One of the biggest jokes of the airpoints systems this farce.
hodi is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ANR / TRG
Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Posts: 1,075
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Gone forever if it is your first time at Elite level. 284 become vapour ware.
Not quite.
They go towards your banked Elite year. The next target after reaching Elite.
WLGNZ is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 148
Pretty sure if you're moving from Gold to Elite they are gone as that rollover is a perk only for elite cycle 2, but I hope I'm wrong!
hodi is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:53 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by hodi
Pretty sure if you're moving from Gold to Elite they are gone as that rollover is a perk only for elite cycle 2, but I hope I'm wrong!
Correct. Roll over points only apply when re-qualifying for Elite. Found that out the hard way as well.

Agree it's a farce, along with losing RU's as you quickly progress through the tiers.
yotty is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Not quite.
They go towards your banked Elite year. The next target after reaching Elite.
Not in your first qualifying year from gold to elite. They are gone. I lost just on 200 in exactly the same way a few years ago.

You have to retain Elite first then any points above 1350 (in 12 months) go towards your banked year and elite gift structure.
kiwicyclo is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 148
On a slightly related note, does anyone know if you can get the breakdown of SP earns for eligible flights etc using IOS or the website? Ive seen it on Android OS when you tap the info sign on the balance bar.
hodi is offline  
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by hodi
On a slightly related note, does anyone know if you can get the breakdown of SP earns for eligible flights etc using IOS or the website? Ive seen it on Android OS when you tap the info sign on the balance bar.
iOS

Qualifying status points:
Airpoints > (i) icon above tier earn bar

Flight earnings:
Flights > Bookings > Options > Potential earnings
yotty is offline  
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:20 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Air NZ*GE
Posts: 148
Thats what Im missing. The (I) above the bar.
hodi is offline  
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:18 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by BZNZ
Currently 200 points away from attaining Elite for the first time. I will be flying Business from LHR to AKL (NZ5/NZ1) in a couple of weeks time which should attain me 484 status points.

My question is, does the excess 284 points count towards renewing Elite for the next year, or do I simply just lose these points. I remember that when renewing Gold these excess points aren't carried over for renewal so I assume this is the same for Elite?

Thanks
have you used up your two gold upgrades as they will be lost when your three elite upgrades arrive ?
Beano is offline  
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:14 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wellington, NZ
Programs: NZ*G
Posts: 25
On a related note, I have about 700 rollover points from last year, I would say I will need some but not all of these to requalify for Elite this year.
If I say need 400, will the remaining 300 rollover again, or will they expire?
i guess another way of framing it is - are rollover points used first or last when calculating qualification eligibility?
Thanks.
MaestroNZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.