Wiki Posts
Search

Good TA in NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some
Good TA in NZ?

Can anyone recommend a good TA in NZ? Mostly for international-to-international travel, the more complicated itineraries. Happy to pay a service fee for bookings.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:03 pm

Been using Tandem Travel for several years, I think they are part of ANZ. Service good and no problems with complicated trips around APAC. Not really "cheap", you're paying for the service
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
We just switched to Orbit here in Auckland. So far they are very good compared to our previous agency. I also travel on union business and we use Tandem Travel: for domestic travel they've been fine, but NZ domestic fares aren't exactly complex.

The sad reality is that the airlines have all gone out of their way to make retail travel agencies unsustainable. In a previous life I worked in corporate travel and we earned more because business travellers--especially high volume travellers--who expected much more, in terms of skills and knowledge. Then commissions on flights were slashed and corporate agencies became more like leisure agencies: staffed by underpaid underskilled persons. All the pressure is downward in retail travel. And we get what the airlines pay for...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:18 pm

How hard is it to set oneself up as a travel agent so you can get command line access to the booking systems opposed to the web UIs which strip out all the functionality.

Particularly when want multistops or want to take a connection other than than the MCT one.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
How hard is it to set oneself up as a travel agent so you can get command line access to the booking systems opposed to the web UIs which strip out all the functionality.

Particularly when want multistops or want to take a connection other than than the MCT one.
Great question - I too would be very interested. I briefly looked at what could be accessed easily a few months back but didn’t get far and didn’t have much time to look into it so haven’t pursued further. I remember >10 years ago there was a way to access SABRE and possibly other systems via internet and a ‘home travel agent’ type account but I can’t remember the details but believe that access method was withdrawn. Perhaps Steve Biddle could provide some info in regards to your question - I’m sure he would be well informed about options in this space if any exist.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
We switched to Orbit. I took over my own bookings.

A friends company switched away from Tandem but she didn't know why. Not sure who they switched to either.

I did try calling flight centre but the phone was answered by people who had been there 2 and 4 months that had to ask others. Also tried House of Travel but they couldn't offer me what I wanted.

Might try an Aussie one. I don't know who to go to in NZ and I'm not really convinced I need to be in the same country.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by drajknox

Great question - I too would be very interested. I briefly looked at what could be accessed easily a few months back but didn’t get far and didn’t have much time to look into it so haven’t pursued further. I remember >10 years ago there was a way to access SABRE and possibly other systems via internet and a ‘home travel agent’ type account but I can’t remember the details but believe that access method was withdrawn. Perhaps Steve Biddle could provide some info in regards to your question - I’m sure he would be well informed about options in this space if any exist.
Google: https://www.indianweekender.co.nz/Pa...-travel-agency
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:52 pm

"I did try calling flight centre but the phone was answered by people who had been there 2 and 4 months that had to ask others."

I use the most wonderful Flight Centre agent, James, the manager of the Kings Meadow branch in Launceston. Yes, I know it is odd to use a random small town in Tasmania but he is so good, so experienced, and just lovely. He has done several complicated international itineraries for me, and I have recommended him to people in Aust, USA and NZ who have all been very happy. This is not a paid announcement! I happened upon him when he was working in Sydney and have followed him since.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
We switched to Orbit. I took over my own bookings.

My work place also uses Orbit - I tend to tell them exactly what I have found and want and challenge them to find a better deal that I can find.

My itineraries are not complicated though.

The thing that really annoys me though is that for accomodation they just go straight to expedia - when often I have found better deals going to the hotel websites.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thanks so much everyone...I had a great one in Germany but he passed away, sadly. If you travel a lot, a good TA is like gold...worth investing time in for a long-term collaboration.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
My work place also uses Orbit - I tend to tell them exactly what I have found and want and challenge them to find a better deal that I can find.

The thing that really annoys me though is that for accomodation they just go straight to expedia - when often I have found better deals going to the hotel websites.
Mine generally aren't but when I get charged for a change and the airline itself has a policy where they don't charge you then I become irate! Among a few other things.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy

That’s my experience too. My work changed to Orbit a few months ago and they’re fine but don’t seem to add any real value. Having them use Expedia as default hotel booking engine is weird.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Interesting thread. I really don't see the point in using a TA these days. There are a myriad of online booking sources available that make things easy, just take a little time. I now do all my travel way putting together complex itineraries that includes flights, surface travel and accommodation. Have put together an itinerary of 9 weeks from NZ through Europe, then to Asia before home. The only rule I really apply in flights is to stay in * A for multi-city and allow at least 3 hours between split PNR bookings.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I am currently in the middle of a very complex trip (a business trip, literally going around the world to every continent, multiple people with multiple accommodations required too). I would never have given it to a TA. I am a control freak when it comes to travel, I love to optimise everything.
​​​​​​
That said, most people I know HATE organising travel. In those cases, having someone do that for you for free is incredible. And it is extremely time consuming. If I didn't enjoy it then the business side of me would wonder why don't I just outsource it to someone else.
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:14 am

I’m a travel agent, I run my business from home on my farm 😊 If anyone needs a complicated itinerary priced I’m happy to help - no obligation. I love organising trips and travelling vicariously through my clients almost as much as actually travelling.

I’m affiliated with House of Travel so I get their hotel rates but am free to go direct if I like 😉

Because I’m an online business I get most of my business from word-of-mouth, which means I actually care that my clients were looked after. My company’s name is Clevedon Travel Limited, you can find me on Facebook and .com 😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.