Wiki Posts
Search

Different ATR Configuration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Different ATR Configuration

Has anyone else had the "pleasure" of flying in the differently configured ATR NZ is currently using? The FA told me it is a single example sourced from a European airline.
It has 17 rows with an extra two seats (18A & 18B) situated next to a lengthened "galley" and storage area. It is similarly configured to the "good old days" of the NZ ATR 500, when there were 16 rows and two seats in row 17 next to the galley, with more comfortable non-reclining seats (the recline was, quite sensibly, disabled).
In this current aircraft they have fitted in an extra row, and it looks and feels like seat pitch has decreased, bringing the ATR pain to a new level.
Does anyone know what the origin of the plane is?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
https://www.caa.govt.nz/script/air-m...?Model_ID=1970

There currently 19x 72-600s registered in New Zealand, all of which look like they we're directly delivered to NZ?

Was it painted as NZ and had an ZK-*** registration? May of been that someone rejected an delivery and NZ was able to get one delivered earlier?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
FA didn't know what they were talking about.

The last 2 (maybe 3?) ATRs that have arrived are all in this config. All new aircraft received going forward will also have 18 rows but only 17 rows (68 seats) will be allocated on seat select.

NZ may look also look at a higher density option for a handful of these aircraft.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:13 pm

So in the past 10 years they have gone from 66 seats, to 68 seats, and now to 70 seats?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:35 pm

This sounds very much like MVO. Built for another operator who then cancelled the order. The completed but undelivered frame was then purchased by Air New Zealand/Mount Cook. It has a small number of differences both up the front and down the back but the slightly different cabin configuration is the give away. It's finally meant to have a cabin reconfiguration next month to match the rest of the fleet.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
FA didn't know what they were talking about.

The last 2 (maybe 3?) ATRs that have arrived are all in this config. All new aircraft received going forward will also have 18 rows but only 17 rows (68 seats) will be allocated on seat select.

NZ may look also look at a higher density option for a handful of these aircraft.
With the greatest of respect, the cabin crew did know what they're talking about. MVO is the only odd one out.
brenrox likes this.

Last edited by waterwingsNZ; Jul 12, 2018 at 11:40 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
This sounds very much like MVO. Built for another operated who then cancelled the order. The completed but undelivered frame was then purchased by Air New Zealand/Mount Cook. It has a small number of differences both up the front and down the back but the slightly different cabin configuration is the give away. It's finally meant to have a cabin reconfiguration next month to match the rest of the fleet.
It comes to mind think it was originally meant to be going to VA
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This sounds very much like MVO. Built for another operator who then cancelled the order. The completed but undelivered frame was then purchased by Air New Zealand/Mount Cook. It has a small number of differences both up the front and down the back but the slightly different cabin configuration is the give away. It's finally meant to have a cabin reconfiguration next month to match the rest of the fleet.

With the greatest of respect, the cabin crew did know what they're talking about. MVO is the only odd one out.
Correct, Waterwings. The seats are navy blue rather than black. I flew on it last Thursday and noticed the differences. I think I have flown all the ATR's and this one is definitely the exception.
I am not sure how they do it but Iberia has 20 rows on their ATR's. I flew TAP ATR last year to Bilbao and they squeezed more than Air NZ on but I couldn't see how as they had similar cabinetry and the leg room seemed similar. I also flew the Czech ATR and they even have a business class at the back, though they only load 16 rows on board.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P

I must say you’ve got a cheek, challenging , sbiddle.... 😉
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
It is quite possible for anybody to be caught out here with posting inaccurate or just plain wrong information, including [MENTION=656651]sbiddle[/MENTION] ...
Eltham likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yip clearly my info was wrong. I was told earlier in the year that all arrivals from 2018 onwards (of which there have now been two in the past couple of months and another due soon) would be in the new 70 seat config. It would seem like that's not the case.

Air NZ have explored a higher density option, and I believe the -600 is rated for a maximum of 78 seats.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
It is quite possible for anybody to be caught out here with posting inaccurate or just plain wrong information, including [MENTION=656651]sbiddle[/MENTION] ...
Therefore best to play down having “inside knowledge”...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yip clearly my info was wrong. I was told earlier in the year that all arrivals from 2018 onwards (of which there have now been two in the past couple of months and another due soon) would be in the new 70 seat config. It would seem like that's not the case.

Air NZ have explored a higher density option, and I believe the -600 is rated for a maximum of 78 seats.
78 seats is achieved at 29" seat pitch, with two rear facing seats in row 1.

AF (HOP) has 74 seats on its 72-600s with 19 rows, that must be very tight on the legroom front.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:53 pm

How do the over heads work in that set up? As they already cant fit anything. And if I remember correctly the seat supports aren't centered so isn't particularly fair when more stuff has to go under seat.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by nzkarit
How do the over heads work in that set up? As they already cant fit anything. And if I remember correctly the seat supports aren't centered so isn't particularly fair when more stuff has to go under seat.
The overheads are removed and pax bunks are installed and sold as 'mandatory lie flat J". You can get up to 6 J pax down each side this way. HTH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.