Wiki Posts
Search

CHC-AKL 789 questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CHC-AKL 789 questions

A search didn’t reveal any obvious answers. I can see a 789 operating CHC - AKl and had a couple of questions

* are the business/PE sears selectable as a *Gold for free, or do they incur a charge like exits on the A320
* any risk of this being swapped out?
* any pitfalls to this flight eg bussing at both ends

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
PE complimentary to *G.

Have booked on on a few of them and have always been cancelled.

Good luck.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long thread here----> Daily AKL to CHC widebody flights during April

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The Business Premier seats become free to select T-2 days before the flight (as per usual for preferred seats on domestic A320 flights)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
* any risk of this being swapped out?
* any pitfalls to this flight eg bussing at both ends
As with Kiwicyclo above, I've also booked these and had them swapped out - I'd suggest it is a fairly high risk of happening, particularly with the current 787 engine issues and if booking a decent period of time in advance.

J seats are now $50 (used to be $30) to reserve, obviously without any service increase. PE, as above, is free for *G

With regard to arrival and departure, for domestic 787/777 flights you must check in an hour beforehand and it is definitely a bus gate in Auckland.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Have booked on on a few of them and have always been cancelled.
Any indication on the reasons for the multiple cancellations?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by codyc1515

Any indication on the reasons for the multiple cancellations?
No idea. Probably need the aircraft somewhere else. I have never actually managed to fly on a 787-9 in all the flying I do. But there is hope. Off to Houston on Thursday so there is a chance!

Business class seat locked in!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have done 2 of these recently (2x CHC-AKL).

First was in PE as *G - free selection of PE seats at booking. Was swapped for 77W. I noted that there was free selection available for J seats at T-48 - but I wanted to tr the PE seat. Found he PE leg rest not that useful/comfortable - I had expected the fold out metal part at the end of the rest to be gently extendable under a spring load - not possible.

Second was in J, paid $30. Stayed as a 789. I found the J seat more narrow than the 77W/772 - and I am a medium sized 1.7m.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The cancellations are because the aircraft are needed elsewhere. When this was announced the new 789 issue didn't exist.

The actual reasons for these aircraft being on the route are complex but ultimately are because of the ATR crew shortages and the affect this would have had on the WLG-CHC route.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The wide-body (I have flown on 787s, 772s and 77Ws - it is a 772 this morning) service to AKL, as correctly stated, provides cover for busier A320 schedules. I prefer the PE seats on the flight rather than the business premier seats - plenty room for the short ride. NZ still unsure whether they have the fleet to operate this from October onwards, but I enjoy the experience and the bussing is not too painful, especially if you are up front as you get off pretty quickly. It always surprises me that NZ don't disembark via forward and rear doors in this instance.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
They should have enough ATR crews again by October to reinstate a full ATR schedule on the WLG-CHC route so that will free up an A320 to go back on the CHC-AKL route.

There are also the 2x TT A320s moving across to domestic once the A321s arrive so that will improve domestic jet capacity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.