Wiki Posts
Search

Seat + Bag Recognition Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Seat + Bag Recognition Upgrade

Hi there,

I am a Gold Elite member and I was about to purchase a fare to Australia on a 777-300.

I have an Elite Short Haul recognition to use, and was wondering if it was possible to use this on a Seat + Bag fare. Or do I need to have "The Works" fare?

Obviously, The Works costs more than the Seat + Bag so if I can upgrade (presuming the upgrade gets approved) I will be saving a few APD (method for paying for the flights).

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by KeenKiwiFlyer
Hi there,

I am a Gold Elite member and I was about to purchase a fare to Australia on a 777-300.

I have an Elite Short Haul recognition to use, and was wondering if it was possible to use this on a Seat + Bag fare. Or do I need to have "The Works" fare?

Obviously, The Works costs more than the Seat + Bag so if I can upgrade (presuming the upgrade gets approved) I will be saving a few APD (method for paying for the flights).

Thanks!
You can also have an Seat Only fare - and if it clears you will get the class of upgrades baggage allowance.

I've done Seat Only to J without any issues.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Ah good point!

Another question though, if I take Seat Only and it does not clear and I fly economy, am I still able to take a bag, given my status and the +1 bag allowance?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Ah good point!

Another question though, if I take Seat Only and it does not clear and I fly economy, am I still able to take a bag, given my status and the +1 bag allowance?
maybe you could ring them and see if you can get a confirmed upgrade before you book
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Ah good point!

No. Your extra bag only applies on airfares that include checked luggage.

On longhaul you get the upgraded baggage allowancenice at checkin providing an upgrade is lodged. This policy excludes all S2S routes.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
You can buy the seat only fare and apply the short haul RU to get to J.

If it doesn't clear you can pay up to a seat + bag fare by just adding on the bag bit.

What I don't know is if you can check at the airport during check-in if your RU has cleared and if not, step away and quickly add a bag to your airfare if it's NZ marketed and ticketed. I know you can do that for a VA booking on Air NZ. Found out the hard way when partner was supposed to fly seat only but turned up with a bag and at check-in the kiosk wanted to charge him $320. To add a bag over the phone with VA was maybe $60 but online $35 but I was in a bit of a fluster as I had to go check-in at a different counter as we were flying in different directions that I just paid the over the phone bag addition. I didn't really know my way around the VA website that well either. But it was a deal in comparison to the $320 the NZ kiosk was charging!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:13 am

You can't change the S2S product type or add a bag online or via the app once the flight switches to airport control. I learned this the hard way after booking a flight without a bag but somehow thinking I had and obviously not checking. Normal airport bag fees applied and NZ wouldn't do anything cheaper. Luckily I had my car at the airport and my gym backpack still there so took a few things out and we ended up taking 3 carry on bags.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can't change the S2S product type or add a bag online or via the app once the flight switches to airport control. I learned this the hard way after booking a flight without a bag but somehow thinking I had and obviously not checking. Normal airport bag fees applied and NZ wouldn't do anything cheaper. Luckily I had my car at the airport and my gym backpack still there so took a few things out and we ended up taking 3 carry on bags.
Is this a recent change?
I have added a bag online while sitting at Wellington airport when I realised the fare I had booked did not include a bag at checkin..
Cancelled out of check in. Sat down with my laptop and added a bag. Back to the checkin machine. No problems.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Is this a recent change?
I have added a bag online while sitting at Wellington airport when I realised the fare I had booked did not include a bag at checkin..
Cancelled out of check in. Sat down with my laptop and added a bag. Back to the checkin machine. No problems.
The one and only time I tried it was about 2 years ago. You can't make any changes to a S2S booking once it goes to airport control, this also includes seat selection from the app. I'm not aware of anything changing in this regard.

Domestic is completely different with changes able to be made right up until you've checked in at the kiosk.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Sorry. I was referencing domestic not short haul international.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, seems like the plane has switched to a A320 so looks like I won't be going BP.

Time to book Works... sigh.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:43 pm

Hi all, seems like the plane has switched to a A320 so looks like I won't be going BP.

Time to book Works... sigh.
Why pay for a meal TT when you can eat in the lounge?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why pay for a meal TT when you can eat in the lounge?
I get food envy.. even TT Economy food envy.. ha!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I Just upgraded my TT seat only to PE using airpoints dollars as I knew that there was no BP on the return.

I stupidly thought I could confirm the return on PE and then lodge the upgrade for BP, as you can go from Y to BP for APD$250, but now cannot request the BP upgrade.

Should I get the call centre to reverse the upgrade and then lodge it all the way though and risk it? or is there a way of winning either way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.