Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance considering new status tiers tiers above gold.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance considering new status tiers tiers above gold.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
LH could cut F class check in and SEN lounge for *G right now and be compliant with *A rules. Priority boarding/baggage probably won't be cut because for every plane with half the plane boarding at priority boarding, there's another like my OS flight during the Christmas holidays with the only priority bags on the belt belonged to me. Perhaps there's tiered priority boarding...alliance wide priority baggage is probably too complicated.

I imagine this is being motivated either by OWs emerald granting F class ground amenities officially and a desire to be competitive or complaints by *A airlines that there are too many *Gs. If it's the former I imagine the new status just be *G with F class check in/lounge/boarding/baggage priority while if it's the latter *G will probably be stripped of most of its meaningful benefits.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It appears to me that because the alliance expansion is over in terms of adding new members, they are doing all these things to fill their time at the *A HQ.

Another one. They are also investigating dynamic award pricing across the alliance. If this happened, it could mean the end of frequent flyer programmes. We all know what happened to Airpoints when it moved to dynamic pricing. Redemption tied to any fares for sale and near zero reward seat availability to partner airlines. All very negative. I have never thought of any reason to switch alliance, but this could be it.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-alliance-keen-on-dynamic-award-pricing-across-all-member-airlines?utm_source=hero
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
The other problem to consider is how this would be uniformly introduced across the Star Alliance seeing as some airlines have multiple levels of lounges and some don't. For example,if I were LH and decided to make the Business lounges for *G and the Senator lounges for *P (with an improvement in F&B offering in Senator lounge to make the differentiation), I'd expect the other member airlines to do the same thing (ie: expect NZ to create another lounge for *P) - and whether those airlines see that as something they would do is another question.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
As a SEN this could potentially be yet another death knell in the already gutted M&M program. LH SEN is already just about the most difficult *G status to get. I see a real danger of getting seriously downgraded by being lumped in together with *G with the likes of Aegean or SAS. If these tiers are revamped, I seriously hope M&M's tier requirements get re-evaluated as well. Yes, fat chance...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: *G, OWS
I don’t know how many *G members there are in the major LH SEN lounges at any moment but I’m not sure if the business lounges can accommodate all of them without becoming overcrowded themselves. Currently FQTs (LHs equivalent of *S) can access the business lounge. Unless that perk was removed there would probably need to be some major work done to accommodate the shift in usage.

Furthermore we’ve got to keep in mind that SEN lounges are not the top lounges – those are the FC lounges in the LH/LX/OS hubs – currently only open to those travelling
I don’t know how many *P (or whatever they would be called) there could be – but I imagine that the access rules could be that *P get access to the “regular” FC lounge but that airlines get to keep something special for their own FC passengers, similar to the concorde room with BA; perhaps together with a new boarding group and some increased luggage benefits.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
As a SEN this could potentially be yet another death knell in the already gutted M&M program. LH SEN is already just about the most difficult *G status to get. I see a real danger of getting seriously downgraded by being lumped in together with *G with the likes of Aegean or SAS. If these tiers are revamped, I seriously hope M&M's tier requirements get re-evaluated as well. Yes, fat chance...
I think the opposite will be the case, the introduction of new levels will make LH SEN more valuable and clearly differentiate it from the "Giveaway" *G status.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djsflynn
It's not a rumour when the CEO of Star Alliance confirms it was discussed at their board meeting the day prior, says they're looking at it and suggests "there can be perhaps one or more levels above the Gold proposition."
I’ve sat in enough board meetings where tons of things were seriously discussed that 97% of people around the table would never see the light of day.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’ve sat in enough board meetings where tons of things were seriously discussed that 97% of people around the table would never see the light of day.
Quite so, but those are still discussions that took place, not just a rumour. Might we see Star Alliance Platinum or Diamond? Maybe, maybe not. Is the possibility of such just a 'rumour'? No.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:23 pm

Quite so, but those are still discussions that took place, not just a rumour. Might we see Star Alliance Platinum or Diamond? Maybe, maybe not. Is the possibility of such just a 'rumour'? No.
Other than "It was discussed" what is there that is tangible?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I think it may depend on what questions get fed to him. His original words were "considering one or two levels above Gold". Adding one level is difficult, in my opinion would never happen, let alone two. I can't imagine he being serious.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Two levels is very complex and would be hard to implement. Even one level would be a challenge, though I suspect you would aim at the HON, PPS, GS level people where you are flying premium cabins, rather than just mileage runners. Unless you are spending a lot of money on airfare, there is no reason to believe this will benefit you.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dschaimz
I think the opposite will be the case, the introduction of new levels will make LH SEN more valuable and clearly differentiate it from the "Giveaway" *G status.
Let's hope your optimism is warranted. For this to work, LH SEN would actually need to become *P, or at least a higher level than those easy-to-get *G. I do think that the current *G would get downgraded somewhat with new tiers, since otherwise *P would just be *G with first class lounge access.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
Let's hope your optimism is warranted. For this to work, LH SEN would actually need to become *P, or at least a higher level than those easy-to-get *G. I do think that the current *G would get downgraded somewhat with new tiers, since otherwise *P would just be *G with first class lounge access.
If you look at the Oneworld Sapphire features what would go from *G? And still be competitive? Emerald only adds FC checking and FC lounge from what I can understand.

Though OW has fast track at Emerald opposed to Sapphire.

And *A for Gold at Hub airports does that speedier transit on tight connections.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Other than "It was discussed" what is there that is tangible?
Everything he's quoted as saying in the article is tangible. It's under discussion, and sufficiently so that more than one above-Gold tier is being considered (and this "might be more than one tier" comment by Goh was something he volunteered, I simply asked about a level above Gold).

Star is obviously aware of the potential 'disconnect' between the top tier of member airline schemes and Gold, and aware obviously that Oneworld has a better-than-Gold tier which could be seen as a competitive advantage.

in other words. I'm just reporting the facts of what he said, not making a judgement on likelihood of it eventuating.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jul 5, 2018 at 12:50 am Reason: missing quote marks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

But think about it a different way. If you're HON or PPS, how much non-premium flying do you do on other *A airlines to really warrant this additional tier? Probably not a huge amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.