Wiki Posts
Search

NZ/AC Missed Connection @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Frequent Flyer
NZ/AC Missed Connection @ LAX

I am booked on NZ2 and will connect in LAX to AC to fly to Calgary on the same PNR. I have been watching NZ2 and on a number of occasions it has been delayed resulting in a late arrival into LAX. If this had been my flight there would be a good chance that I would not make the AC flight due to the transfer from TBIT.

My questions are does NZ give priority to Y passengers at LAX with code-share connections?
Does AC hold flights for connecting code-share NZ passengers from TBIT?
As my AC flight to Calgary is the last direct flight for the night, if NZ2 is delayed would NZ/AC try and reroute me that night or would I stay over in LAX and hopefully get put on the first direct AC flight the next day?

I'm sure the 2hr 40min connection will be fine, but trying to preplan.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
2:40 is plenty of time even in a worse case scenario. If NZ2 is late it's up to the airline to sort you out if you're on a single ticket.

Air NZ has to way to offer Y or any pax for that matter "priority" (whatever you mean by that) to clear CBP.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E
They can give you an orange “express connection” card which allows you to use the crew lane at immigration.

I’ve had one of these before from NZ with a tight connection before I got global entry
Old May 28, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I was on a VA flight and had a 2h 30m connection. We arrived in at least 30 minutes late. All of us with less than 2 hours to go were given an express connection card and it was like magic. Was out of immigration within 15 minutes and had enough time to go through Delta security and visit their lounge for half an hour prior to my flight.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:36 pm

Given reasonable service can be provided it would be nice if the airlines put pressure on security and the border to provide an acceptable level of service to everyone. Rather than making airlines pay more for the express cards, people paying for PreCheck, US airlines getting their own security and saying their terminal has shorter queues etc, by making the service so bad there is no other option but to pay more money.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
2:40 should be enough time. Though you might not have time to visit a lounge.

you could try to go though the connector from TBIT to terminal 4 and use the tunnels to terminal 6 rather than going street side.

I did that at the start of the month and got from walking off NZ 6 to my AC gate in T6 in ~40 min (admittedly in J).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:23 am

Just realized that Air NZ have given me a 2h 20m connection for my LAX to Vegas flight next week. This should be interesting!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Just realized that Air NZ have given me a 2h 20m connection for my LAX to Vegas flight next week. This should be interesting!
Won't give you much time to spend in the United Club (assuming it was a UA connection and you have access) but I certainly wouldn't be at all worried about a connection that long.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:26 am

I would be. I have had some terrible LAX experiences before. However, with so many United flights to Vegas, if we miss out connection, I'll nosey down to the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT and shower while I wait!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Frequent Flyer
Well NZ2 has been late almost everyday for the last couple of weeks. If on arrival at AKL from ADL a delay is anticipated could I ask to be put on NZ6 instead.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by soakadl
Well NZ2 has been late almost everyday for the last couple of weeks. If on arrival at AKL from ADL a delay is anticipated could I ask to be put on NZ6 instead.
Typically no, but you never know your luck. If you're in in PE or BP it'll be unlikely because cabins will very likely be full already.

Looking at the data there looks to be 8 delays of more than 30 mins over the last 31 days with a few of those departure delays being close to 30 mins so I wouldn't really class that as "almost everyday".
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:09 pm

Update on my 2:20 connection. We landed a little late, was given no pass. Was in PE. We breezed through security. The express Lane was chock full and I think we actually got through faster! Was told it would be quicker to walk and then pass security at United terminal so we did that. Made it in with enough time to even visit the lounge briefly before our connection. Did look behind me in the security line though and once Y started to come in it was looking pretty full...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.