Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland Koru Lounge a playground

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Auckland Koru Lounge a playground

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/ne...ectid=12055746

Another not impressed with the zoo in Koru Auckland.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
And some people in this forum were trying to have a go at anyone who suggested the AKL lounge was getting way too crowded. In my opinion, NZ should start by reducing the ability of earning status and lounge vouchers through credit cards. No other airlines do this to this degree, perhaps for a reason.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

Also the lounges are the wrong size for the number of pax. On the domestic side Akl has more pax through the airport yet Wlg has a bigger Domestic and Regional lounge by capacity. Even before doing a per capita thing. Per pax through the airport Wlg domestic and regional is much larger than Akl.

Really all the lounges should be the same per pax through airport size.

A spreadsheet with Pax numbers
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note can't get per carrier numbers so the numbers will be a bit off. But does give an indication that the lounges are undersized

Last edited by nzkarit; May 21, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Anybody know the proportion of Koru numbers vs NZ*G/GE (and I suppose other *G) numbers? I am assuming that paid KC access can be written of as a business expense and so make it relatively easy for access for those who don't fly enough to meet *G thresholds.

I recall QF have separate QANTAS Clubs and Business Lounges (domestically), and that SQ has both Silver Kris Lounge (for Biz) and KrisFlyer Gold (for *G in Y/PE). Could either of these models work for NZ, or is the market too small?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Not only it is a lounge problem but can also cause chaos during boarding widebody ex AU. Priority boarding for Koru is a great perk however almost always no one listens to the boarding call orders. For narrow body, not a chance - anything goes
Old May 22, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Anybody know the proportion of Koru numbers vs NZ*G/GE (and I suppose other *G) numbers? I am assuming that paid KC access can be written of as a business expense and so make it relatively easy for access for those who don't fly enough to meet *G thresholds.

I recall QF have separate QANTAS Clubs and Business Lounges (domestically), and that SQ has both Silver Kris Lounge (for Biz) and KrisFlyer Gold (for *G in Y/PE). Could either of these models work for NZ, or is the market too small?
QF domestically does have business class, and VA also offers a similar level of competition. Domestically NZ has little real pressure to do something, other than it making Koru Club membership low value if you can't use it. There is little doubt the AKL regional lounge is woefully inadequate in size, and the main AKL Koru Club is definitely zoo like at peak times.

Internationally, it would be nice if there were a Business Premier and Elite lounge (which wouldn't be a *A Gold lounge), not available to Koru or Gold or *G. It could be for all Business Premier customers, be offered to other airlines on a contract basis as a first class lounge equivalant.

The other option would be a duplicate lounge, perhaps closer to the gates, without the tended bar (which to be fair, is a bit haphazard in service in my experience when it involves mixing drinks), perhaps better suited to those on short-haul flights.

What's clear though is that the current AKL international lounge is no longer particularly appealling as a premium offering, because of crowding at times. Personally, I find the EK lounge more pleasant, and even the small QF First lounge is just more relaxing and easy enough to get a seat in (the food is a smaller range, but adequate).

It could have premier beverages and even a small al a carte menu (not quite QF First SYD/MEL, but maybe UA Polaris lounges).
Ellice likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
As I said before, I often give the domestic lounges a wide birth nowadays. I spend enough time at airports that queuing for coffee and food in a lounge is far too tedious.

Status boarding the same, and every other bag on the conveyor belt has a priority tag on it.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
And some people in this forum were trying to have a go at anyone who suggested the AKL lounge was getting way too crowded. In my opinion, NZ should start by reducing the ability of earning status and lounge vouchers through credit cards. No other airlines do this to this degree, perhaps for a reason.
Qantas offers double status credits to all but also targeted 50% offers. VA offers family pooling so the whole family can fly but one member earns all the status credits for taking a trip or two. It's the same outcome no matter which way you cut it.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Also the lounges are the wrong size for the number of pax. On the domestic side Akl has more pax through the airport yet Wlg has a bigger Domestic and Regional lounge by capacity. Even before doing a per capita thing. Per pax through the airport Wlg domestic and regional is much larger than Akl.

Really all the lounges should be the same per pax through airport size.

A spreadsheet with Pax numbers
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note can't get per carrier numbers so the numbers will be a bit off. But does give an indication that the lounges are undersized

Nice spreadsheet. Do you know if Auckland Airport were able to lease more space to Air NZ? Or did Air NZ decline it?
Old May 22, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Qantas offers double status credits to all but also targeted 50% offers. VA offers family pooling so the whole family can fly but one member earns all the status credits for taking a trip or two. It's the same outcome no matter which way you cut it.
At least all of above are related to flying. Not everyone would go to do mileage runs but with credit cards, earning status becomes an every day occurrence and way too easy to do.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:24 pm

At least all of above are related to flying. Not everyone would go to do mileage runs but with credit cards, earning status becomes an every day occurrence and way too easy to do.
Air NZ require a minimum amount of SP earn from flying to obtain status so it seems that's been factored in.
I find QF and VA easier to earn status with than Air NZ.

Either way, there are complaints about lounges being crowded on both sides of the ditch.

Have to admit I've never seen the QF F lounge in Auckland overcrowded but there are things I don't like about that lounge as well. Food being one.
The_Flyin_PenQuin likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Air NZ require a minimum amount of SP earn from flying to obtain status so it seems that's been factored in.
I find QF and VA easier to earn status with than Air NZ.

Either way, there are complaints about lounges being crowded on both sides of the ditch.

Have to admit I've never seen the QF F lounge in Auckland overcrowded but there are things I don't like about that lounge as well. Food being one.
The minimum is half of the requirement which is way too generous.

QF lounges can be crowded but if you factor in how many more flights and premium seats QF have on any given day (A380's in particular) than NZ, it almost becomes understandable.

Let's see if things change for the better when NZ shut the door to VA members later in the year.

On a side note, I recently visited the NZ lounge in MEL before my TG flight and found that lounge nearly empty in an early afternoon. I am surprised that the barista there only makes coffee in the morning so it goes back to coffee machine in the afternoon.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:37 pm

The minimum is half of the requirement which is way too generous.

QF lounges can be crowded but if you factor in how many more flights and premium seats QF have on any given day (A380's in particular) than NZ, it almost becomes understandable.

Let's see if things change for the better when NZ shut the door to VA members later in the year.

On a side note, I recently visited the NZ lounge in MEL before my TG flight and found that lounge nearly empty in an early afternoon. I am surprised that the barista there only makes coffee in the morning so it goes back to coffee machine in the afternoon.
I disagree with half the minimum requirement being too easy. The programmes work differently. Lets translate this to dollar value, it's easier comparisons.

$3k on flights eg AKL-LAX return sale PE with Air NZ might get me 254SP with Air NZ which is still only half of the flying requirement to NZ Gold. If I flew AKL-PER return with QF on a DSC offer in J for $2.9k that's ~640sc. It's 700 to attain gold and 600 to retain with QF.

I suppose this might come down to which routes you want to spend your money on but most people are flying predefined routes due to a holiday or work destination, but that's just off the top of my head. Despite the credit card link I still think NZ is tougher to earn status with than other programmes.

Edit: And don't even get me started on VA. A family trip is the equivalent of a quadruple status run! And that's available year round (to those with families). I'm sure there's a domestic return route where 4 people can earn 500 / 400sc to retain gold.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; May 22, 2018 at 7:09 pm Reason: VA
Old May 22, 2018, 7:33 pm

The Wellington international lounge will notice it as will be removing a 1/3 of the flights that use the lounge. Though suspect the 2x daily on VA will drop to <=1 NZ, so depending on when in the day it should be better in there. Likewise BNE in the evening there were 3x VA and 1x NZ. Will drop the 3x VA and get maybe 1 or 2 more NZ so will only end up with 75% of the people.

Though that also assumes VA doesn't pick up the NZ lounge as a contract lounge.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Though that also assumes VA doesn't pick up the NZ lounge as a contract lounge.
Pretty sure this is the most likely outcome, NZ aren't going to turn down that revenue.
KiwiSurfer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.