Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

How will luggage be handled on int'l itinerary requiring customs clearance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints

I'm travelling to Chicago soon on Air NZ, via LAX (the US leg is United Airlines, but all on an air NZ ticket) and home to NZ on Air NZ via Houston.

My question is this: What process would I follow in regards to my luggage at LAX- I assumed it'd all be booked through to my final destination (Chicago) but reading the Air NZ LAX information page, that seems to be incorrect. Can anyone clarify: I arrive at LAX, clear customs, collect my baggage, drop it at the transfers desk, and make my way to the United terminal to board my flight to Chicago - then collect my bags as usual after my arrival there (no further customs/ security clearance)?

The return flight to NZ via Houston I assume the baggage would be checked through to my final destination (AKL) so I simply claim it there and go through security, customs etc?

Please forgive rhe newbie questions. All my previous travel has been domestic/Pacific.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
aubreyjiminez, welcome to FlyerTalk! I edited your thread title to more clearly focus on your topic of interest. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by aubreyjiminez
Can anyone clarify: I arrive at LAX, clear customs, collect my baggage, drop it at the transfers desk, and make my way to the United terminal to board my flight to Chicago - then collect my bags as usual after my arrival there (no further customs/ security clearance)?

The return flight to NZ via Houston I assume the baggage would be checked through to my final destination (AKL) so I simply claim it there and go through security, customs etc?

Please forgive rhe newbie questions. All my previous travel has been domestic/Pacific.
Both of your assumptions there are absolutely correct:
- ​​​​​On the way in, you will need to collect your baggage at LAX and pass through customs, before dropping the bag at the transfer bag point, which is shortly after Customs. It will already be tagged through to your final destination by AirNZ
- On the way home, you’ll check in your luggage in Chicago and not see it again until you collect it in Auckland prior to customs as usual. There is no outbound customs or immigration exiting the US, just the standard TSA security

Safe travels!
KiwiSurfer and B787_YYZ like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That's very helpful information. Makes me feel a lot calmer when it comes to understanding the luggage process.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
You’ll need to clear tsa security ar LAX again, after you leave TBIT and go to terminal 6, which is a bit of a walk.

it can be a bit of a rush if you get held up with immigration.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
You’ll need to clear tsa security ar LAX again, after you leave TBIT and go to terminal 6, which is a bit of a walk.

it can be a bit of a rush if you get held up with immigration.
United is in Terminals 7 & 8
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Right. Thank you. I have read up online about using the shuttles to get from TBIT to the terminal.
I arrive at LAX at 1240 and depart on to Chicago at 1511. If there is some hold up at LAX and I miss the connecting flight- Does Air NZ rebook me on another connecting flight to Chicago?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Right. Thank you. I have read up online about using the shuttles to get from TBIT to the terminal.
Personally, I walk and don't take the bus/shuttle. I find the entire bus/shuttle experience at LAX to be very unpleasant (from figuring out where to wait, the noise, traffic, pollution, and you can end up waiting a fair bit for it to arrive).

Two weeks ago I had roughly 2.5 hours between NZ6 and my United flight. I had enough time to go through security in Terminal 4 (I have TSA pre-check), go back to TBIT to use the lounge (to shower and grab a bite to eat), and then walked 25 minutes to the very end of Terminal 8 to catch my flight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I arrive at LAX at 1240 and depart on to Chicago at 1511. If there is some hold up at LAX and I miss the connecting flight- Does Air NZ rebook me on another connecting flight to Chicago?
IMHO the shuttles are a waste of time unless one is there right when you need it. LAX is shuttle gridlock and you have no idea when the next one will turn up.

As you'll already be land side there is no point in heading back in at TBIT to clear TSA there and use the airside connector as TSA there is always slower than the other terminals. It's only 12-15 mins tops to walk along the footpath from TBIT to T7 for United. The airside connector is slower.

If you're on a single ticket the airlines will sort you out and move you to another flight. You will have no issues with your timings though, clearing CBP and customs is 70 mins tops on a really bad day and realistically averages 45 mins.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by SeaProf
United is in Terminals 7 & 8
Sorry I meant terminal 7, not 6.

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Personally, I walk and don't take the bus/shuttle. I find the entire bus/shuttle experience at LAX to be very unpleasant (from figuring out where to wait, the noise, traffic, pollution, and you can end up waiting a fair bit for it to arrive).

Two weeks ago I had roughly 2.5 hours between NZ6 and my United flight. I had enough time to go through security in Terminal 4 (I have TSA pre-check), go back to TBIT to use the lounge (to shower and grab a bite to eat), and then walked 25 minutes to the very end of Terminal 8 to catch my flight.
I completely agree about not using the shuttle if you're able to briskly walk to the other terminal, much like from international to domestic at Auckland.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks again for the advice, the way it reads online is that you really must take the shuttle or you'll be walking for days. I can easily walk 20-30 min at gold pace. Is it fairly well signposted?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Walk out of TBIT, head right and keep walking. You can't miss it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.