Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Splitsville: Air New Zealand parts company with Virgin Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitsville: Air New Zealand parts company with Virgin Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kyanar
The baggage allowance is normally decided by either the Most Significant Carrier rule or the First Carrier Rule. On a BNE-SYD-IAH flight with United, for example (as NZ*G) the baggage allowance was determined by QANTAS (who aren't even Star Alliance). That was 2 bags. On the return, the baggage allowance changed slightly to 3, determined by United Airlines.
I read the fine print on the e-tix which essentially said my *A benefits for checked and carry-on bags were only applicable to the NZ-operated sectors. I have just stumped up the money to add a bag both ways (covers both NZ and VA flights) - couldn't be bothered 'testing' the system (or my patience).

Additional Information
Checked and carry-on baggage allowances apply to Air New Zealand operated flights only. Refer to the operating carriers' websites for flights on codeshare partners or other airlines. For specific details visit airnewzealand.co.nz or operating airline website.

Airpoints Elite, Gold, Star Alliance Gold with checked baggage are entitled to one additional piece without charge when travelling on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights when Air New Zealand baggage rules apply. Koru members are entitled to one additional piece without charge when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights when Air New Zealand baggage rules apply. These offers are not applicable to fares which do not have a baggage allowance e.g. 'seat only' fares.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I think VAs arrangements are partner specific so no extension to *G pax and you'd be treated like someone without status by VA.
Similar questions arise with QF/EK partnership for Non QF OW status pax.

There's an express path at BNE with the card but don't use it. Kiosks are faster.
There's paid VA lounge access in BNE but terminal food is better. Priority pass restaurants/cafes are available at BNE domestic and international if you have this.
You should be able to get your bags checked through TSV - AKL as it's all on the one PNR. I've done that before. They should give you your boarding pass for BNE-AKL as well at TSV so you won't need to check-in at BNE. Your bags will go straight through to AKL. Yes should have NZ lounge access due to *G. I think buying the extra bag was a wise move.

Edit: There's a transfer desk at BNE International arrivals main hall to the right. Saves lugging baggage on the bus to the domestic terminal.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:41 pm Reason: Added info
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Cheers NZbutterfly. It has been an interesting 'exercise' to try and optimise. The real challenge is linking this trip to my biz return from SEAsian with a 2 checked bags and minimising transit delays despite 2 separate tickets. Biz fares to TSV were all too expensive for 3 days family trip to justify, and I'll confess I was lured into assuming some *A benefits that actually weren't there.

QF with 30kg Y allowance was a viable alternative at similar prices. Unfortunately the AA 30 Admirals Club deal ($99) which would have provided Qantas Club access has ceased, and lowered the 'value' of this option - especially since I have no interest in OW status at present. Other mixed carrier or separate ticket options were just too awkward, especially since the flights are AKL-TSV // TSV-WLG.

In the end I am satisfied to have the flights needed for this journey. Fully flexible ticket so refundable, mileage accruing fare class to TG from try NZ sectors, lounge access in AKL outbound, and BNE and AKL inbound, and some decent seats on the NZ-operated sectors. Indeed, buying an additional bag has removed complications and allowed a potential airside transit at AKL providing TG will check bags through to TSV or BNE.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
QF with 30kg Y allowance was a viable alternative at similar prices. Unfortunately the AA 30 Admirals Club deal ($99) which would have provided Qantas Club access has ceased, and lowered the 'value' of this option - especially since I have no interest in OW status at present. Other mixed carrier or separate ticket options were just too awkward, especially since the flights are AKL-TSV // TSV-WLG.
Not quite as good as the $99 30 day AA pass but Alaska Airlines lounge membership provides access to all QF operated Lounge prior to QF flights (as well as AA and AS operated lounges) for US$450 for the first year then $350 each year after. The AS lounge membership also allows guesting of two people which trumps the QF Clubs guesting of only one.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
So now no more option for business class to earn Air NZ SP out of Christchurch to AU

Wonder if there is any chance they will bring back TT business class....or its just stay on Qantas for me.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So now no more option for business class to earn Air NZ SP out of Christchurch to AU

Wonder if there is any chance they will bring back TT business class....or its just stay on Qantas for me.
Really depends on how much you value status and what you really get out of each program.

To be honest Koru Club would be fine for the majority of my NZ flying. My RUs have cleared but I'm happy to gift the short haul RU to my partner (if he finds another aircraft besides the A320 he keeps landing on!) I don't really use APD for elite upgrades. I don't even use the VA upgrades because I don't want to pay the freedom fare for the same seat as I get on the cheapest fare!

The things I really like about VA I don't actually need status for. I can buy economy X when I do land on VA.

Qantas either Qantas club or gold is ok. I don't need platinum.

What I care about now is the seat I sit in, timing and price. It's a pain in the backside to revisit programs but I just decided to go back to basics. If I end up being close to a drop in status I am yet to put my money where my mouth is but I think that's how I'm going to fly this year and after the changes TT. Too much of a headache.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Need to fly Virgin as a Virgin gold to gain access to the Australian lounges on arrivals
Old May 8, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Beano
Need to fly Virgin as a Virgin gold to gain access to the Australian lounges on arrivals
My biggest issue with Virgin is its not part of any alliance. Wonder why?
Old May 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Looks like NZ want all the DUD-AU traffic to go via AKL with new 6am DUD-AKL flights and 8pm AKL-DUD services.

https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/NZ-Ag...97-08May18.pdf
Old May 8, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Beano
Yeah but for domestic if I'm hungry I use priority pass where available so that takes up a bit of time. Then it's time to board! I don't really like getting to the airport too early so even though sometimes I have gone to the lounge afterwards it can be fairly brief. If I drop to silver I'll consider lounge membership at 300AUD but it might be tough to justify if priority pass working well. I realise it's not everywhere but you don't really want to bother being too early at regional airports either.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
Looks like NZ want all the DUD-AU traffic to go via AKL with new 6am DUD-AKL flights and 8pm AKL-DUD services.

https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/NZ-Ag...97-08May18.pdf
Their hub strategy is not great in terms of service to South Island. And while its inconvenient for locals its also bad for tourism.

I will sometimes fly via Auckland to China but nowadays i usually fly China Eastern, its about half the price, flat beds, and not that much inferior to the sub par BP product on 787
Old May 8, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Their hub strategy is not great in terms of service to South Island. And while its inconvenient for locals its also bad for tourism.

I will sometimes fly via Auckland to China but nowadays i usually fly China Eastern, its about half the price, flat beds, and not that much inferior to the sub par BP product on 787
The most important question is is DUD-Aussie profitable? Can they afford the aircraft on that route vs another?

It’s around 3.5hr drive from ZQN. Similar drive time AKL-ROT/TRG but they don’t have direct flights either. Oz is a vast country and those that do drive in Oz for tourism wont even blink at that length of drive.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly

The most important question is is DUD-Aussie profitable? Can they afford the aircraft on that route vs another?

It’s around 3.5hr drive from ZQN. Similar drive time AKL-ROT/TRG but they don’t have direct flights either. Oz is a vast country and those that do drive in Oz for tourism wont even blink at that length of drive.
heard that DUD/BNE flights were a loss maker, that only kept going due to alliance. Now alliance is ending but flights continue at terrible timings for Australians. Think the route might be passed onto Tiger who have lower costs than Virgin or will be cut to 2/week or seasonal. Time will tell. Similar thing happened years ago. Was booked to fly Freedom BNE/DUD but when got to fly Freedom had done its job of killing off Kiwi & so Air NZ actually flew the route. Must have been early 2000s.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by southpac
heard that DUD/BNE flights were a loss maker, that only kept going due to alliance. Now alliance is ending but flights continue at terrible timings for Australians. Think the route might be passed onto Tiger who have lower costs than Virgin or will be cut to 2/week or seasonal. Time will tell. Similar thing happened years ago. Was booked to fly Freedom BNE/DUD but when got to fly Freedom had done its job of killing off Kiwi & so Air NZ actually flew the route. Must have been early 2000s.
Maybe more an TT OOL-DUD route?
Old May 15, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Flew a VA ticketed trip with an NZ metal TT flight recently. Got an email satisfaction survey from Virgin specifically about the ANZ flight. Coincidence I wonder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.