Wiki Posts
Search

Number on elite card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Number on elite card

Have a 2 on the elite card last renewal, presumable representing the 2nd year in a row. Does this lead to anything after x number of years or just a weird badge on honour for people scanning it at mitre 10...! If you don’t require but then do again a few years later does the count reset? Wonder what the record is!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
It means the number of years continuously at Elite. There is no advantage or special benefits as far as I know. I'm up to 12, there were a couple of years before that but there was a couple of months of Gold at one point.
hodi likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia, Qantas
I'm up to 11 years continuous Gold Elite. The only possible benefit I had was a recent query about changing a flight on the day of travel to another day. I was hopeful of getting some recognition, even though I fully expected to have to pay a penalty (seat + bag fare). The contact centre lady was entirely unhelpful and very brusque to the point of disdain at my failure to change flights the day before. I was offended by her attitude so I complained to Customer service. Got a call two days later from a very nice lady who apologised profusely, said it wasn't how GE with 11 years on that status should be treated and gave me a full refund. Needless to say, I was very happy.
So, yes, being 11 year GE does seem to count.
hodi likes this.

Last edited by robomo; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:24 am Reason: Grammar correction
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robomo
I'm up to 11 years continuous Gold Elite. The only possible benefit I had was a recent query about changing a flight on the day of travel to another day. I was hopeful of getting some recognition, even though I fully expected to have to pay a penalty (seat + bag fare). The contact centre lady was entirely unhelpful and very brusque to the point of disdain at my failure to change flights the day before. I was offended by her attitude so I complained to Customer service. Got a call two days later from a very nice lady who apologised profusely, said it wasn't how GE with 11 years on that status should be treated and gave me a full refund. Needless to say, I was very happy.
So, yes, being 11 year GE does seem to count.
Ha not sure us toddler elites would have go the same!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Up until sometime ?2015? getting the 1350 points would have been less of a feat - an Aussie return would net 60 SP and before SP even existed it was just determined based on APD. Granted, CC earn doesn't exist and I'm not suggesting that it was much easier, rather assessed better based on miles flown rather than the current system that is a combination of revenue, miles and some unknown function. AKL to LHR should net a whole lot of SP with the options available. For "toddler Elites" into the early years, consider lifetime status in other programmes if status is your ultimate goal.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
Up until sometime ?2015? getting the 1350 points would have been less of a feat - an Aussie return would net 60 SP and before SP even existed it was just determined based on APD. Granted, CC earn doesn't exist and I'm not suggesting that it was much easier, rather assessed better based on miles flown rather than the current system that is a combination of revenue, miles and some unknown function. AKL to LHR should net a whole lot of SP with the options available. For "toddler Elites" into the early years, consider lifetime status in other programmes if status is your ultimate goal.
Ive been looking at this, but my major issue is that the vast chunk of my flights were domestic with 1-2 PE international. Just didn't even seem Id make a dent in something lifetime wise given the domestic weighting. This year its 3 East coast US and one Europe but unlikely to do more than that regularly.

Qantas could be an option long term I suppose?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by hodi
Ive been looking at this, but my major issue is that the vast chunk of my flights were domestic with 1-2 PE international. Just didn't even seem Id make a dent in something lifetime wise given the domestic weighting. This year its 3 East coast US and one Europe but unlikely to do more than that regularly.

Qantas could be an option long term I suppose?
If you are clocking domestic and the occasional Intl leg, it is hardly worth being Elite (or Gold for that matter unless you utilise the 10kg carry on benefit) - on the off chance you might get slightly better service on your international leg? Paying for lounge access would be more than enough
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

If you are clocking domestic and the occasional Intl leg, it is hardly worth being Elite (or Gold for that matter unless you utilise the 10kg carry on benefit) - on the off chance you might get slightly better service on your international leg? Paying for lounge access would be more than enough
Ah I agree, its all a load of rubbish domestically, zero benefits you cant get with Koru, 5 guests is useful for family holidays maybe. Not going to turn it down though! Wish there were some extra domestic perks.

Biggest thing for me doing 6-10 LH legs a year though is the confirmable RUs and APD ups.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
More help in domestic irrops due to status has saved me from significantly worse inconvenience several times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.