Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition Upgrades Q

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Recognition Upgrades Q

Hi all,

i retained my gold at some stage last year, and got 2 new recognition upgrades approx Oct 2017.

I am now about to get Elite in a couple of days and presume I will lose these two recognition upgrades, and get the new Elite ones. Is this correct?

If so, is there anyway I can gift this to someone so they are not wasted?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
No. Use them or lose them.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: NZ *G
To clarify, you don’t need to fly and redeem the RUs before reaching Elite, but do need to have lodged them for some future flight.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
No you can't gift them. If you can't lodge them for future travel they will be lost.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I won't have another flight booked to place a request by the time I change to elite, so they will be lost.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
If you want a chance to use those RUs rather than wasting them, and you haven't taken the flights that will bump you over the Elite threshold yet, ask for your Airpoints number to be removed from your booking when you check in at the airport. That will buy you some time to book some flights, lodge your Gold RUs, then retro-claim the SPs from your previous flights to go up to Elite. I do this quite often as I purposely move between Gold and Elite every year to get the extra RUs.
jedesto, Ellice and codyc1515 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by KiwiHighFlyer
If you want a chance to use those RUs rather than wasting them, and you haven't taken the flights that will bump you over the Elite threshold yet, ask for your Airpoints number to be removed from your booking when you check in at the airport. That will buy you some time to book some flights, lodge your Gold RUs, then retro-claim the SPs from your previous flights to go up to Elite. I do this quite often as I purposely move between Gold and Elite every year to get the extra RUs.
Oh that is genius *clap clap*
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by KiwiHighFlyer
Out of interest, what's your RU success percentage? Do you just intentionally not fly NZ much for a year to soft land to Gold?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by samyoull
Out of interest, what's your RU success percentage? Do you just intentionally not fly NZ much for a year to soft land to Gold?
Pretty good actually. But I don't ever lodge them on premium heavy routes like SFO or LAX. I book 1 return trip to Asia a year to use the 4 RUs, exclusively for going from Y to C. Over the last five or so years, I've only had one set not go through to C on a PVG-AKL as C was fully booked, but got into PE instead.

For jumping between Gold and Elite, I don't purposely reduce my travel on NZ, but when I'm close to the Elite re-qualifying threshold, I stop crediting to NZ (by removing my Airpoints number). Wait until the anniversary date to soft land to Gold, lodge my Gold RUs, retro-claim the trips I didn't credit over the previous months, and I'm back up to Elite within a week or two. I am also shifting a lot my travels away from NZ these days as I don't believe they have a competitive C hard product anymore, and soft product is getting less consistent by the day. This also makes holding off on re-qualifying for Elite a bit easier, but it's not a major.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the fantastic tip!

i have removed the airpoints membership number from the second leg and will most likely book another trip next week.

I will then try the RUs and after that, will try to claim the missed status points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.