Wiki Posts
Search

Hi -Fly Downgrade (or Upgrade?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Hi -Fly Downgrade (or Upgrade?)

I am flying to Sydney next month (I am Elite) and have been changed to a Hi-Fly Flight. I am on an Economy Seat (Works) and can upgrade

Short Haul Upgrade to Business
Airpoints Upgrade to Premium Economy 100 AP
Airpoints Upgrade to Business 250 AP
OneUp is Unavailable for these Flight (It gives an Error)

Is its worth upgrading for a 3 Hour Flight on Hi-Fly? or should I just wait for another flight on AirNZ Metal?

How "bad" or "good" is HiFly compared to AirNZ? Food? Seats? Service? (I can't even choose a window Seat so are afraid I will get a stupid aisle seat or worse middle seat at the back of the plane)
Would it be a downgrade on HiFly if I am expecting AirNZ Service?
Has anyone asked for a discount because of this?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
A340-300 | CS-TQY - Fleet | Hi Fly

Air NZ Business gets a Hi-Fly First Seat
Air NZ PE gets a Hi-Fly Business Seat
Economy gets Economy

IFE is not great
Cabin Configuration:12 First 42 Business 213 Economy
Seating Pitch:86'' First 58"/60'' Business 32''/33" Economy

There is no 'discount' but if you get downgraded they will offer you some compensation, otherwise you can change FOC to an Air NZ operated flight within 7 days of your original flight, pretty useless if you are flying on a first flight or last flight of the day back (NZ101 and NZ108) and don't have flexibility.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm curious to know whether the food and wine service ex-AKL on the Hi-Fly A343 is the same as on usual NZ-operated services or inferior. The seat looks nice and I can live with the poor IFE (now that I'm forewarned) but crap food and beverage would really make me regret paying for PE...

On the other hand I'm looking forward to another flight on a classic A340, as they are pretty rare these days. I always rather liked them, anaemic rate of climb notwithstanding.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Hi-fly website gives you a good look at their seating arrangements. Their former Emirates pedigree is pretty apparent. I am booked Y to SYD connecting to J on UA and the ticket booked me into Y with no seating choice available. I will be pleased if I get bumped into J as an Elite as well as fly on one of the dwindling hair dryers.
A340-300 | CS-TQY - Fleet | Hi Fly
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I'm curious to know whether the food and wine service ex-AKL on the Hi-Fly A343 is the same as on usual NZ-operated services or inferior. The seat looks nice and I can live with the poor IFE (now that I'm forewarned) but crap food and beverage would really make me regret paying for PE...

On the other hand I'm looking forward to another flight on a classic A340, as they are pretty rare these days. I always rather liked them, anaemic rate of climb notwithstanding.
I'm interested in the food and wine offerings too. We are flying in J SYD-AKL in a couple of weeks on the A340.
I'm looking forward to flying the A340 again, I like them as a plane and it will be a step back in history to sit in those seats.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
AKL-PER on HiFly. AirNZ is now implying a more comfortable experience due to a different aircrft being used - any insights into what this new level of comfort entails :-)

From email to custoner: "Your upcoming flight will be operated by one of these Hi Fly aircraft. Please note if you have already travelled on a Hi Fly operated service between Auckland and Perth recently, the aircraft you are currently booked to travel on is a different aircraft to the one you would have flown on previously and we believe it will provide a more comfortable experience for customers."
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
AKL-PER on HiFly. AirNZ is now implying a more comfortable experience due to a different aircrft being used - any insights into what this new level of comfort entails :-)

From email to custoner: "Your upcoming flight will be operated by one of these Hi Fly aircraft. Please note if you have already travelled on a Hi Fly operated service between Auckland and Perth recently, the aircraft you are currently booked to travel on is a different aircraft to the one you would have flown on previously and we believe it will provide a more comfortable experience for customers."
AKL-PER is now operated by 9H-SUN A340-313 | 9H-SUN - Fleet | Hi Fly

Which apparently has working AVOD, and lie flat J class.

The A332 has now left.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
AKL-PER is now operated by 9H-SUN A340-313 9H-SUN - Fleet Hi Fly

Which apparently has working AVOD, and lie flat J class.

The A332 has now left.
Thanks for that.

It does, but is limited: "Seat-back entertainment will be available on board for all customers, however, this will be different from the entertainment system offered on Air New Zealand aircraft. The content selection is limited therefore you may wish to bring your own reading material and/or fully charged personal electronic device."

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Jan 23, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
AKL-PER is now operated by 9H-SUN A340-313 9H-SUN - Fleet Hi Fly

Which apparently has working AVOD, and lie flat J class.......
Although window seats in business class are without direct aisle access, so good luck jumping over your neighbour in the night, that might not be particularly comfortable.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ottiehund
Although window seats in business class are without direct aisle access, so good luck jumping over your neighbour in the night, that might not be particularly comfortable.
Which is really no different to flying business class on many airlines still.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Which is really no different to flying business class on many airlines still.
and better than some (eg: BA) .... however the point I was intending to make is that it is a 'downgrade' in that respect from NZ with aisle access for everyone in J (and as an aside presumably fares haven't changed?).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:23 pm

for the Hi-Fly operated flights do online check in work and is seat slection available at online check in?

thanks
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
for the Hi-Fly operated flights do online check in work and is seat slection available at online check in?

thanks
​​​​​​
All explained on the NZ website https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts?eventid=n3BmxDuEv2ZSZsjKRMa0
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
I can't really change my flights and I have stuff already organized. I'm taking the 1st flight on Saturday (NZ101 at 7am) and the last flight on sunday (NZ108 at 6:55pm) so I'll have to see how good (or bad) HiFly are..
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:43 am

Engineering Ground Staff - some HiFly (saw a few wearing old tatty HiFly hi-viz vest, some NZ near gate)
Flight Crew - HiFly
Cabin Crew mostly HiFly (with some T-shirt attired NZ ones, I guess they are only there for CS since they not rated for A340 ops, I usually get a "welcome back" on NZ metal, but no recognition from NZ crew for FF status, not important to me anyway).
Toiletries - sames as NZ (you can see below, barf bag in the background also from NZ) NZ inflight magazine also in seat pocket.

CATERING (no menu provided)
Basically J Wines & Champagne
Choice of
J Fish (Salmon)
J Chicken (thigh single piece)
or
Y Beef (any beef that is not fillet = Y)
plated Y (inc plastic cutlery) in a single Y style tray including J entree and Y/PE dessert (Choc brownie)
+ 2nd extra Y dessert (Kapiti Ice Cream not pictured)
+ Works Deluxe Cheese
- missing was warm nuts before meal.

IFE

Decade+ ish old 4:3 low res / not VOD (no pause/stop etc)
Basically 8 channels of movies (not new but recent releases). They all start at the same time (options are not announced, so you channel surf to guess what is playing on what channel)
Listed below for your convenience.
1. King Arthur
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3. Going in Style
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Wonder Woman
6. Hidden Figures
7. Lego Batman Movie
8. Chips
(the last time I flew TT J with this old IFE, there was only a choice of about 3 or 4 movies)

SEATS

F Seats (for J) pictured.
Lots of leg room.

Glad to have flown the A340, not many around these days. The rate of climb of this old 'hairdryer' is hardly anaemic.
As the only Emirates I've been is on their A380, it was interesting to see what an Emirates plane from the old days. Not keen on the Tawa coloured veneer though.

Hi Fly crew was not bad (most NZ ones are still better), though they were exotic looking and very easy on the eye. I did actually pay attention to the safety demo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.