Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Should i get an Air New Zealand Airpoints card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am planning on going from Auckland to LAX via air new zealand and i was wondering if it was even worth getting an Airpoints card.
I may not go travelling for 2-3 years after that trip and wont get much points (I wouldnt think)

Is it worth it or not?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
No harm in it. It's free to join.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by Nathan Catton
No harm in it. It's free to join.
You can always use your points earned in the shopping mall .....
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:27 am

Don’t waste your time, it’s a dreadful ff programme. Get a UA ff card instead...as long as you aren’t travelling on a very low fare, you should be able to credit the miles to your UA programme. There are usually plenty of good cc deals to spice up your choices.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Bub001
Don’t waste your time, it’s a dreadful ff programme. Get a UA ff card instead...as long as you aren’t travelling on a very low fare, you should be able to credit the miles to your UA programme. There are usually plenty of good cc deals to spice up your choices.
Er - lots of credit card deals???? I assume you’re US based as there is very few if any NZ credit cards that give points to UA (I’m not aware of any, but maybe some of the Amex ones might go to UA?).

Either way, it’s not as practical as you suggest to use UA - assuming Riley is an NZ based flyer then NZ is an okay programme for an infrequent flyer to start off with...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
You haven’t said what class you’re flying.

if in economy then Air Points will only be worth 25-40 NZD. If in business from about 250 dollar to 400 NZD depending on booking class bucket/ fare paid.

if in business you could joint just to use the points for a small gift to treat your self.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Airpoints (anything) is better than nothing- but not much. Better off with UA Mileage Plus and use NZ Airpoints for those fare basis which do not get UA miles.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
You haven’t said what class you’re flying.

if in economy then Air Points will only be worth 25-40 NZD. If in business from about 250 dollar to 400 NZD depending on booking class bucket/ fare paid.

if in business you could joint just to use the points for a small gift to treat your self.
That would pay for grabaseat AKL-WLG $35!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by KiwiJC
Er - lots of credit card deals???? I assume you’re US based as there is very few if any NZ credit cards that give points to UA (I’m not aware of any, but maybe some of the Amex ones might go to UA?).

Either way, it’s not as practical as you suggest to use UA - assuming Riley is an NZ based flyer then NZ is an okay programme for an infrequent flyer to start off with...
No, Amex does not allow you to transfer MR to UA. You say there are few if any cards that credit MP in NZ, I'm not aware of any.

That said. if you can meet the requirements, US banks are happy to issue you credit cards even as a foreigner. I hold a USD bank account with Citi and they were quite happy to offer a ThankYou card during account opening (though I really didn't want a credit card that requires too much effort just to pay the bill, so declined to apply).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.