Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 not that great...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
787 not that great...

Granted, this isn't purely an Air NZ point, but posting here as it's to do with my recent flight on a 787.

This was the first time on the Dreamliner for me. And while I usually fly about 100k miles a year, this was the first chance I'd had to try out the 787. So I was quite excited about trying out a "new" plane.

I was seated in the last row of PE in window seat A.

I don't know if it was the close proximity to the engine or what, but I was surprised by how noisy this plane is. I use a pair of Bose QC25 noise-cancelling earphones. But even with their usually good noise-cancellation, the engine noise was significantly more than what I'm used to.

To make matters more annoying, the FA kept forgetting to unlock the window dimmers. So they were set to fully open.

I've flown the a350 a few times, and while it's a different class of aircraft, I found that a much nicer cabin to fly.

So was it just me? Or is the 787 over-rated?

Service itself was pretty good. One of the FA's in the safety video was actually working in the PE cabin, so that was a nice little touch. Pretty funny actually...she was standing up the front when the safety video started. Then almost everyone in the cabin looked up at her when she appeared on the video, and she gave a "yes-that's-me-in-the-video" smile.

Last edited by sol95; Sep 28, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
FWIW I think PE on the current 787 config is one of the best experiences you'll get on NZ $ wise. Small cabin and great service as a result.
jdavido, jawnbc and azdsgnr like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:24 pm

Interesting thread. There is not a lot of hard data out their either.
I might bring along a dB meter next time and start taking measurements.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Up on pointy end there is less noise, more humidity compared to 773/772 long haul.

Trade off for that is less privacy (unless on on seat A) and less space due to the oddly positioned storage compartment and seat angle. Don't bother trying to use the ottoman for shared dining unless you are a tiny person on the 789

Last edited by dadig; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
And as discussed seats very narrow. After this was pointed out by another poster Ive noticed this since last week when I flew the 777 again (I have been almost exclusively flying the 787 on the AKL-PVG route).

Now I know why the mattress doesnt fit on the 787! its annoying cos your feet are always just off the mattress...first world problems I know but its not a cheap seat!

I much prefer the CX seat to HKG
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by sol95
I don't know if it was the close proximity to the engine or what, but I was surprised by how noisy this plane is. I use a pair of Bose QC25 noise-cancelling earphones. But even with their usually good noise-cancellation, the engine noise was significantly more than what I'm used to.
I wonder if something was different than usual about your particular flight, or if the points at which you were aware of the volume just happened to be when the engines were in overdrive or something. I'm pretty sure the 787 is generally far quieter than the 777 and other more traditional flights; I do auditory cognitive science for a living and noise is the first thing I notice when I fly. I haven't flown NZ on a 787 but have done on UA and AC. I found both to be super comfortable and convenient in this regard.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
FWIW I had my first A350 flight a month or so ago, and it is easily quieter than the 787 and better humidity as well. I was in Business (SQ), and of course the cabin is wider, but airlines tend to add another seat in each row except in economy. Still the 787 is quiet (as is the A380, forward of the wing and upstairs). 777's noticeably noisier, but on ALL of them, there is a much bigger difference between being behind and in front of the engines. The back of an A350 is noisier than the front of a 787.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
I wonder if something was different than usual about your particular flight, or if the points at which you were aware of the volume just happened to be when the engines were in overdrive or something. I'm pretty sure the 787 is generally far quieter than the 777 and other more traditional flights; I do auditory cognitive science for a living and noise is the first thing I notice when I fly. I haven't flown NZ on a 787 but have done on UA and AC. I found both to be super comfortable and convenient in this regard.
It's something I noticed all the way through. I've flown the various iterations of the 777 the most, and I was expecting the 787 to be noticeably quieter. As a point of reference, this flight was SYD-AKL (25A) and on the return AKL-SYD (23A) leg, I was in the PE cabin on a 772. The seats on both flights were roughly in the same place...just forward of the leading edge of the wing. I found the 772 quieter, which I thought was weird.

Originally Posted by libertyuk
FWIW I had my first A350 flight a month or so ago, and it is easily quieter than the 787 and better humidity as well. I was in Business (SQ), and of course the cabin is wider, but airlines tend to add another seat in each row except in economy. Still the 787 is quiet (as is the A380, forward of the wing and upstairs). 777's noticeably noisier, but on ALL of them, there is a much bigger difference between being behind and in front of the engines. The back of an A350 is noisier than the front of a 787.
Yes, I've flown the A350 a few times, and was expecting something similar in the 787. Hence my surprise when the 787 was quite noisy.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

What I think it might have been is that the 787 engine noise might be a bit higher in pitch, meaning my NC earphones weren't cancelling it out as effectively as the other lower sounds.

Anyways, I found it odd and surprising. Definitely, next 787 flight, I'll be choosing a middle aisle seat.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
One of the FA's in the safety video was actually working in the PE cabin, so that was a nice little touch. Pretty funny actually...she was standing up the front when the safety video started. Then almost everyone in the cabin looked up at her when she appeared on the video, and she gave a "yes-that's-me-in-the-video" smile.
That's hilarious! At least the passengers were paying attention
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

One of the FA's in the safety video was actually working in the PE cabin, so that was a nice little touch. Pretty funny actually...she was standing up the front when the safety video started. Then almost everyone in the cabin looked up at her when she appeared on the video, and she gave a "yes-that's-me-in-the-video" smile.
Kobi Bracken
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=11905382
http://www.redeleven.net.nz/portfoli...7/kobi-bracken
https://www.instagram.com/kobibracke...elakers/?hl=en
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

yep. that's the one.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:16 pm

Flight attendants locking the window dimmers in one configuration is not unusual. Not sure why they do this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Flight attendants locking the window dimmers in one configuration is not unusual. Not sure why they do this.

Example TT flight and the side which the sun hits are usually dimmed, I don't believe they are locked tho and you can still adjust further
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Likewise they're locked out most of the way to KIX and NRT due to these being day flights. The one downside of the tint is it doesn't block the heat like shades do.

The new 789's will come with the new glass which is significantly darker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.