Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Streamlined Travel Trial"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Top of climb
For those of you curious about how this trial turned out, from Biosecurity New Zealand:
Wonder independent the report was done? e.g. if it was Internal you can see why it was against the trail.

At the end of the day New Zealand is one of the hardest non-third world country (although AKL could be classed as third world).

Ideally if they should be pushing AKL for an arrivals area for prosessing passengers that have arrived from Australia, and drop half of the restrictions.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I'm curious why it is that people arriving from countries with exit screening (e.g. Australia, United States) are treated the same as those from countries who let any man, their dogs, and associated pests board a plane without a glance.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
I'm curious why it is that people arriving from countries with exit screening (e.g. Australia, United States) are treated the same as those from countries who let any man, their dogs, and associated pests board a plane without a glance.
??? I'm not aware of any countries that do bio security on exit. Other than trade in illegal animals what are you protecting with bio security on exit?

What exit screening does the US do? International departures is not sterile in the US and international and domestic can intermingle.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by nzkarit
??? I'm not aware of any countries that do bio security on exit. Other than trade in illegal animals what are you protecting with bio security on exit?

What exit screening does the US do? International departures is not sterile in the US and international and domestic can intermingle.
I may have been a bit vague there. I'm mostly referring to transit where there's seemingly unnecessary rescreening (you're screened three times going from Australia to the US for example) - even though at no stage do you actually exit the sterile areas.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by kyanar
I may have been a bit vague there. I'm mostly referring to transit where there's seemingly unnecessary rescreening (you're screened three times going from Australia to the US for example) - even though at no stage do you actually exit the sterile areas.
Are you confusing Security and Customs screening - two very different things?

As others have said above, outbound neither Australia nor the US have any form of customs screening, nor is there any customs screening when you transit either location. TSA or any form of aviation security is not going to care about that apple you might be carrying for an in flight snack, but as per Top of climb's post not far above - NZ customs most definitely will!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by KiwiJC
Are you confusing Security and Customs screening - two very different things?

As others have said above, outbound neither Australia nor the US have any form of customs screening, nor is there any customs screening when you transit either location. TSA or any form of aviation security is not going to care about that apple you might be carrying for an in flight snack, but as per Top of climb's post not far above - NZ customs most definitely will!
Just to correct that slightly.. Customs won't care about your apple either - but MPI well as they're responsible for biosecurity screening,
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
If the trial is extended I beleive it would be more of a customs risk than an MPI risk - people could bring in too many smokes (or bottles of spritis) that the sniffer dogs can't detect.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by c3rn
If the trial is extended I beleive it would be more of a customs risk than an MPI risk - people could bring in too many smokes (or bottles of spritis) that the sniffer dogs can't detect.
Don’t see how that would be any different to now - you would still be subject to chance of random search and would be prosecuted or fined etc if had made an incorrect declaration - that is no different to someone making incorrect declaration that nil to declare and using existing Green Lane - there is already the chance of random search, fine/prosecution/ seizure etc if incorrect declaration. Slightly off topic I’m staggered to see the number of elderly (of whom by statistics many of which are likely to be on at least some medication) using the Green Lane and not declaring medications.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Deleted wrong info. Thought referring to the lane bypassing xray.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: NZ*S, IHG D
Originally Posted by drajknox

Don’t see how that would be any different to now - you would still be subject to chance of random search and would be prosecuted or fined etc if had made an incorrect declaration - that is no different to someone making incorrect declaration that nil to declare and using existing Green Lane - there is already the chance of random search, fine/prosecution/ seizure etc if incorrect declaration. Slightly off topic I’m staggered to see the number of elderly (of whom by statistics many of which are likely to be on at least some medication) using the Green Lane and not declaring medications.
Perhaps I misunderstood but this trial mean you go straight to the green exit lane where the sniffer dogs are operating? At the moment, the NZ/AU passport lane goes to a person who makes the decision to xray or send out via the green lane?

I feel like if there's no human interaction there would be less 'sweaty palm' situations so people might be more willing to be opportunist.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by c3rn
Perhaps I misunderstood but this trial mean you go straight to the green exit lane where the sniffer dogs are operating? At the moment, the NZ/AU passport lane goes to a person who makes the decision to xray or send out via the green lane?

I feel like if there's no human interaction there would be less 'sweaty palm' situations so people might be more willing to be opportunist.
This was MPI right? So just biosecurity? Not Customs?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:54 pm

Correct; the trial was to bypass risk assessment (the MPI officer who asks you about your declaration and stamps your arrival card). Under the trial you still had to walk through Green (Exit, not Queue) Lane with the sniffer dogs.

TBH I don’t really see any difference in allowing most frequent NZ/AU travellers to use some sort of e-mechanism to bypass risk assessment. If you forget you have an apple stashed in your bag then you are probably not going to twig to that at risk assessment either. A combination of beefed up detector dog screening along the Green Exit Lane or an e-gate which randomly diverts users to x-ray instead of Green Exit Lane (like what they do in Mexico for Customs inspection, for example) would I have thought capture most “forgotten item” cases, with perhaps the added disincentive of requiring anyone who is caught with any undeclared items to have to use manned risk assessment in future.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Quite likely the problem is MPI (not sure about customs) doesn't have enough dogs. I haven't seen an MPI dog in Wellington in years and see a Customs dog more often than not (but not every time). Other airports are also short dogged.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:43 am

I've actually had an apple/orange/mandarin left in my bag on many occasions and forgotten about it until about 20m from the lanes.... would suck to get a $400 fine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.