Wiki Posts
Search

Strict on Domestic Cabin Baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Strict on Domestic Cabin Baggage?

How strict are Air NZ on cabin baggage on domestic flights? If I travel with two bags (both cabin size approved) and the second would fit under the seat am I going to get any issues?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Depends on the route and times I suppose. I always pay for checked bags and decide to use on the day.

If your smaller bag is laptop sized then it would be fine, make sure it is not heavy.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Air NZ is way tougher than North America.
It cost $10 more to add a check in bag to your booking.
Also if you are flying on Prop planes the lockers can be very tight for bags that would carry on okay on A320's.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:58 am
Original Poster

I'm on the flexiplus ticket (not that it should make any difference)

It's AKL to CHC, which I think is a A320 plane?

It's not a matter of cost and I don't mind air-bridge bag drop like in the USA but it's always nice to go straight from plane to landside without a wait.

Last edited by Leaping_Deere; Jul 3, 2017 at 2:15 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere

It's not a matter of cost and I don't mind air-bridge bag drop like in the USA but it's always nice to go straight from plane to landside without a wait.
There is no air bridge back drop in NZ (is there anywhere outside US which does this?)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I think i saw it on a flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap before but yes mostly a USA, but I digress.

What's the consensus on two bags on a NZ A320?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think i saw it on a flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap before but yes mostly a USA, but I digress.

What's the consensus on two bags on a NZ A320?
If it looks heavy or bulky, be prepared to have to check a bag. The limit is 7kg plus a small personal item.But you may get away with more, you may not....

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/carry-on-baggage
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you @Thai-Kiwi
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
I've never seen NZ gate staff milling through the crowd handing out gate check tags like I've seen in the US. That being said, the gate announcements and the website make the policy pretty clear, but my n=1 belief is that enforcement is based wholly on staff perception. If you're struggling with your two A320-bin-sized suitcases tugged behind you on either side, I'd suggest being prepared for one of them to be checked. However, if you're floating about smoothly, one of them is reasonably "personal item-sized," and you're not acting as though they're filled with rocks, you'll probably be fine.

tl;dr policy =/= enforcement, so if you're askew of the policy, don't be angry if you get pulled up on it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fast6
I've never seen NZ gate staff milling through the crowd handing out gate check tags like I've seen in the US. That being said, the gate announcements and the website make the policy pretty clear, but my n=1 belief is that enforcement is based wholly on staff perception. If you're struggling with your two A320-bin-sized suitcases tugged behind you on either side, I'd suggest being prepared for one of them to be checked. However, if you're floating about smoothly, one of them is reasonably "personal item-sized," and you're not acting as though they're filled with rocks, you'll probably be fine.

tl;dr policy =/= enforcement, so if you're askew of the policy, don't be angry if you get pulled up on it.
This is kind of what I expected but sometime you can end of taking BA fairly laissez-faire attitude towards cabin baggage for granted sometimes.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:12 pm

And of course, if you read the website, you'll see different carryon criteria for Economy vs. PE/Biz/Status.

The gate announcements certainly don't advertise those higher allowances for some pax as it would only get the wheels turning for those looking to take advantage. The flip side of the different criteria is that it probably makes the staff less likely to confront as there's a decent chance that the customer with the obviously-bigger-than-7kg-bag would turn out to have status or be connecting to/from a business class ticket etc etc etc.

I don't think I've ever exceeded the higher limit, but I can say with certainty that I'm rarely under the standard limit, and I've never been questioned or asked to show status card etc. But of course I always smile and am always polite and never act like my bag has 2 laptops, a big DSLR, and 5 lenses in it
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

There is next to zero wait to drop bags with NZ domestic, its all done within 60seconds.

At AKL
1. Walk up to the kiosk.
2. Print Bag.
3. Drop bag on baggage belt.

NZ's system is all automated for domestic at does the weighing at the back of house, none of the line up to have you bag weight checked at the bag drop etc. The staff there are simply to help you to place you bag on the belt.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree it depends on if the bags look big/heavy. You are more likely to get away with 2nd (small) carry on bag if you have Air NZ elite status.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You are more likely to get away with 2nd (small) carry on bag if you have Air NZ elite status.
But at that point, you're not getting away with anything, right?

Premium Economy, Business and connecting Business passengers, plus Airpoints™ Gold, Elite and Star Alliance Gold members - two bags plus one small item, such as a handbag or laptop
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Qantas Gold Vietnam Airlines Platinum Air NZ Koru
I have been asked to weigh my bag several times at check in.
On one boarding a FA said too heavy and weighed it. It was under the 7 K limit.
Probably asked to weigh my bag 75 percent of the time on international flights. When I had Gold E it made no difference. Also the FA did not know I was entitled to two carry on bags and I had to show her the policy on my air nz app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.