Wiki Posts
Search

Newly Opened Melbourne Air NZ Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, One World
Newly Opened Melbourne Air NZ Lounge

In Melbourne, was very much looking forward to heading to the new lounge...

5.30 pm Melbourne time, no seating available. Yes for one person, not for two work colleagues.

Lounge looks very good, very similar to other lounges. Crockery was clean, huge improvement on the temporary lounge.

No curry on the menu tonight, don't see that often. Chicken pieces

Back in Melbourne again next week, will check it out again.

No disrespect Air NZ, but I thought the numbers of people would have been worked out more. You have the data these days, you know the members details.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Whafe
In Melbourne, was very much looking forward to heading to the new lounge...

5.30 pm Melbourne time, no seating available. Yes for one person, not for two work colleagues.

Lounge looks very good, very similar to other lounges. Crockery was clean, huge improvement on the temporary lounge.

No curry on the menu tonight, don't see that often. Chicken pieces

Back in Melbourne again next week, will check it out again.

No disrespect Air NZ, but I thought the numbers of people would have been worked out more. You have the data these days, you know the members details.
I guess one of the problems might be that it is also a Star Alliance lounge and it wouldn't take much to be superior to the SQ lounge. One would expect most *G would use it instead at least for the first few months after opening - just like many NZ passengers used SQ while NZ had temporary facility. I am looking forward to trying the new lounge next week
Old May 11, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by drajknox
I guess one of the problems might be that it is also a Star Alliance lounge and it wouldn't take much to be superior to the SQ lounge. One would expect most *G would use it instead at least for the first few months after opening - just like many NZ passengers used SQ while NZ had temporary facility. I am looking forward to trying the new lounge next week
I agree that this explains crowding in opening week. However, airlines have the perfect dataset to model lounge usage and capacity. That should include data on flyers who use other lounges, e.g. SQ in this case.

If it is still overcrowded once things settle to steady state then the airline has made a decision to allow that to happen, probably based on how often they will allow the place to be full.

Flight disruptions are another matter but I expect options to model. I certainly value the lounge more when flights are delayed.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by macdo
I agree that this explains crowding in opening week. However, airlines have the perfect dataset to model lounge usage and capacity. That should include data on flyers who use other lounges, e.g. SQ in this case.

If it is still overcrowded once things settle to steady state then the airline has made a decision to allow that to happen, probably based on how often they will allow the place to be full.

Flight disruptions are another matter but I expect options to model. I certainly value the lounge more when flights are delayed.
is there a flaw in this logic? - yes agree they should have the data and know what the demand might be - but that does not necessarily mean they will provide sufficient space/resource to meet that demand
Old May 11, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
is there a flaw in this logic? - yes agree they should have the data and know what the demand might be - but that does not necessarily mean they will provide sufficient space/resource to meet that demand
That's my point, it is their choice for the lounge to be overcrowded from time to time. .
Old May 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
That's my point, it is their choice for the lounge to be overcrowded from time to time. .
Of course that assumes that they would have been able to obtain more even more space if they wanted to. Melbourne international terminal is frankly a bit of a mess. Is it possible that the new lounge space was all NZ could negotiate?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:23 pm

The AirNZ page says 50% more seats for a total of 249 seats. Which is 50 seat less than Sydney.

Mel at peak has 2 Busses and a Widebody leaving within an hourish, which is similar to Syd.

Wellington only has 98 though has 2 Busses and a Virgin 738.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inte...tion#melbourne

Last edited by nzkarit; May 11, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
That's pretty grim. I wonder if there is a case for NZ to have separate Business/Elite lounges at at least AKL, SYD and MEL. Had I paid to go BP MEL-AKL-USA, and not been able to sit I wouldn't think highly of the product. Yes, NZ ditched first class long ago, but if you are a high-value customer flying TT and beyond, the simple point is that QF does offer (SYD and MEL) its first class lounges which are a leap above anything NZ has. Of course at AKL QF's lounges are subpar, but once they are replaced with a HKG/SIN style one, it will make a difference.

I'm in the new lounge now, and it is pleasant, very similar to SYD and AKL, although being late morning there is only one flight to AKL until the afternoon. However, I find the AKL lounge almost always a bit of a zoo, seats can be found, but it is noisy and busy (and I have yet to do an evening flight to the States from there).

It's a shame, because a lot of thought has gone into them, but is simply a combination of growth of demand and growth of people with status/KC membership just overwhelmed forecasts?
Old May 11, 2017, 7:55 pm

At airports like Melbourne where there are only two Star Alliance Lounges but a number of Star Alliance carriers the operators presumably make money from use by customers of other carriers and so you would think that they wouldn't voluntarily have an area which is too small for demand - customers who are turned away either get annoyed with their own brand or a loss of revenue if from another carrier. I guess it's a compromise involving available space and cost of space leasing but if they perceived it as a huge problem you'd think they'd initially lower the Elite 5 guest benefit.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Thing being too that now the lounge as delayed, since then the evening AKL service has been upgraded to an 772/789 pretty much daily from the A320.

They should of kept the temporary lounge, and re-branded it as contract / pay per entry lounge.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:42 am
Original Poster

I am back in Melbourne next week, so will try the lounge again naturally..

I do miss the options that one had with QANTAS in Sydney and Auckland with the First Class Lounges... It was a great relax pre a long haul flight...

Am very surprised that Air NZ has not looked at separating lounges perhaps. Indeed it would be costly, and am sure has been looked at. However feel it needs to be done in order to keep their faithful customers...

Bottom line is I need to suck it up and get used to the fact lounges are noisy and packed to the gunnels ^

Originally Posted by libertyuk
That's pretty grim. I wonder if there is a case for NZ to have separate Business/Elite lounges at at least AKL, SYD and MEL. Had I paid to go BP MEL-AKL-USA, and not been able to sit I wouldn't think highly of the product. Yes, NZ ditched first class long ago, but if you are a high-value customer flying TT and beyond, the simple point is that QF does offer (SYD and MEL) its first class lounges which are a leap above anything NZ has. Of course at AKL QF's lounges are subpar, but once they are replaced with a HKG/SIN style one, it will make a difference.

I'm in the new lounge now, and it is pleasant, very similar to SYD and AKL, although being late morning there is only one flight to AKL until the afternoon. However, I find the AKL lounge almost always a bit of a zoo, seats can be found, but it is noisy and busy (and I have yet to do an evening flight to the States from there).

It's a shame, because a lot of thought has gone into them, but is simply a combination of growth of demand and growth of people with status/KC membership just overwhelmed forecasts?
Old May 12, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
They really need to do something about it, both the AKL international and SYD lounges were very overcrowded the times I was there this week, and it is sad to hear that the MEL lounge is already that way. It is the norm rather than the exception in NZ lounges. They are usually much too crowded and noisy to do any work in. Maybe part of the answer is cutting guests, maybe 5 is too many for Elites (but it is one of the few distinguishing features from Gold/Koru), but I doubt it would make any real difference. Business class lounges in AKL, MEL, SYD are the only real answer, but NZ won't be willing to spend the money.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Agree, I doubt it occurs that often in that Elites take in 5 guests. In saying that if 4 Elites did have 5 guests, the numbers jump real quick...

Totally agree that Air NZ will not spend the money on a separated Business Class lounge...

What it does do is force those Elites etc, once another banked year is made in a cycle, change airlines @:-)

Originally Posted by edmm
They really need to do something about it, both the AKL international and SYD lounges were very overcrowded the times I was there this week, and it is sad to hear that the MEL lounge is already that way. It is the norm rather than the exception in NZ lounges. They are usually much too crowded and noisy to do any work in. Maybe part of the answer is cutting guests, maybe 5 is too many for Elites (but it is one of the few distinguishing features from Gold/Koru), but I doubt it would make any real difference. Business class lounges in AKL, MEL, SYD are the only real answer, but NZ won't be willing to spend the money.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Whafe
Agree, I doubt it occurs that often in that Elites take in 5 guests. In saying that if 4 Elites did have 5 guests, the numbers jump real quick...

Totally agree that Air NZ will not spend the money on a separated Business Class lounge...

What it does do is force those Elites etc, once another banked year is made in a cycle, change airlines @:-)
n=1 but..... I can recall using the Elite privilege of taking in five guests only once out of 500 or so flights. Maybe five times I have taken more than two. All domestic.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Same for me, once took 4 mountain bike buddies in when heading off on a mountain biking trip....

n=1 but..... I can recall using the Elite privilege of taking in five guests only once out of 500 or so flights. Maybe five times I have taken more than two. All domestic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.