Wiki Posts
Search

Flying EY with first leg NZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Flying EY with first leg NZ

Hi team. Forgive the ignorance as this is a new situation compared to my normal flight patterns. I'm guessing it's an FQTV/FQTS situation, but I've never had to get stuck into that. 2 part question...

I'm flying EY to Europe next month and my first leg is ZQN-MEL on NZ. Was unable to select a seat on the NZ flight at time of booking, no surprises there. Assuming I can call EY and get the NZ PNR so I can then call NZ and sort a seat.

1st part (cut and dry):
However, to have access to FF seating on that flight, will I have to give EY my Airpoints number when I ring them? Or will EY not care about that and NZ will seat me according to my status when I ring NZ? Further, will I have lounge access in ZQN on the EY-ticketed itinerary?

2nd part (more ambiguous):
What the heck should I (or can I) credit this flight to? It's likely a one-off for me to fly EY so I'm not really interested in their scheme.

I know I should know this stuff off, but my normal patterns give me no reason to stray from NZ. Thanks in advance for insight.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ZQN-MEL (Air NZ operated) then MEL-AUH-?? (EY operated)
Do you have EY and/or NZ flight numbers?
Fare booking class? (very unlikely to be full Y:= that is expensive)

Q2 www.wheretocredit.com/ey A guide only
But check the airline ffp web sites to be sure
The ffp result can be different due to the marketed(flight number) & operating airline
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

ZQN-MEL-AUH-DUB

All EY flight numbers, first leg is EY4407 operated by NZ.

Fare is JB on all 3 legs (biz saver).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As it's an EY ticket rather than NZ086 ticket stock you'll have no FF benefits incl no lounge access or FF seating and no FF earn.

If you were on a NZ086 issues ticket that included EY flights to/from Aussie and Abu Dhabi and London you would get NZ FF earn as per the NZ website and their partnership.

Last edited by sbiddle; Apr 15, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
As it's an EY ticket rather than NZ086 ticket stock you'll have no FF benefits incl no lounge access or FF seating and no FF earn.

If you were on a NZ086 issues ticket that included EY flights to/from Aussie and Abu Dhabi and London you would get NZ FF earn as per the NZ website and their partnership.
I doubt that. Operating carriers determine earn with Star Alliance. When you present your NZ boarding pass (even with Sold as EYxxxx underneath) at the lounge, they will not deny you access.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Fast6
Hi team. Forgive the ignorance as this is a new situation compared to my normal flight patterns. I'm guessing it's an FQTV/FQTS situation, but I've never had to get stuck into that. 2 part question...

I'm flying EY to Europe next month and my first leg is ZQN-MEL on NZ. Was unable to select a seat on the NZ flight at time of booking, no surprises there. Assuming I can call EY and get the NZ PNR so I can then call NZ and sort a seat.

1st part (cut and dry):
However, to have access to FF seating on that flight, will I have to give EY my Airpoints number when I ring them? Or will EY not care about that and NZ will seat me according to my status when I ring NZ? Further, will I have lounge access in ZQN on the EY-ticketed itinerary?

2nd part (more ambiguous):
What the heck should I (or can I) credit this flight to? It's likely a one-off for me to fly EY so I'm not really interested in their scheme.

I know I should know this stuff off, but my normal patterns give me no reason to stray from NZ. Thanks in advance for insight.
I would still call EY for the NZ PNR then call NZ. No harm in asking. Airpoints number not needed, just your EY reference so they can access your booking. I imagine this works similar to VA/NZ where I would give the VA booking ref asking for the NZ equivalent then call NZ.

I would have thought a business class ticket should give you lounge access but have never flown your situation. Tend to catch the middle eastern carriers out of Oz rather than ticketed the whole way from NZ. Either way I'd show your card at the lounge and chance it.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...etihad-airways

It says you can earn APD regardless of EY/NZ flight number if flying J. I've only flown 2 trips with EY. I just looked back at an old ticket and JB = Z booking class which air nz's site says is eligible for APD earn. Actually all the J revenue tickets are eligible for earn. Not sure how much but something might be better than nothing.

You could credit the flight to VA also and then use VA points for NZ redemption or convert them to SQ at a loss of 1.35. If you can top up SQ via SPG point conversion or AMEX or other NZ/SQ credited flights you could get yourself a redemption. Pity SQ just got rid of their 15% online discount on redemptions so more points are needed.
https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...tsEarn/#etihad

You would earn 1.75 velocity points per mile. Check the mileage via the VA mileage earn calculator. I think you'll need to check it per sector. https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...ge-calculator/

You could also see if you could bid to upgrade to F if flying the A380 for a sector for far less than the usual going rate. Would be fun if it came through!!

Edit: Just thought of another option - you could look at crediting to AA as well and then buy AA miles when on sale to make up the difference to a one world or AA partner redemption? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ad-airways.jsp

The point hacks website is good at telling you what's a good price point for promo's and what's not. http://www.pointhacks.co.nz/aadvanta...e-miles-guide/

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Apr 16, 2017 at 1:44 am Reason: AA option
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...etihad-airways

It says you can earn APD regardless of EY/NZ flight number if flying J. I've only flown 2 trips with EY. I just looked back at an old ticket and JB = Z booking class which air nz's site says is eligible for APD earn. Actually all the J revenue tickets are eligible for earn. Not sure how much but something might be better than nothing.
I'm pretty sure the rules (and earn) on that page only apply when booking on 086 ticket stock and not when booking on an EY ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'm pretty sure the rules (and earn) on that page only apply when booking on 086 ticket stock and not when booking on an EY ticket.
Why does it say either EY or NZ flight number though for an EY flight which I take to mean EY operated. I thought NZ would sell the EY operated flight as an NZ flight number and EY as an EY flight number?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Pretty sure unless you are on J, non NZ ticketed flights have very limited benefits. It's probably the carriers way of punishing people for taking the cheaper option.

In this case I believe only EY lounges can be used if you are ticketed as EYxxxx
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:18 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Originally Posted by dadig
Pretty sure unless you are on J, non NZ ticketed flights have very limited benefits. It's probably the carriers way of punishing people for taking the cheaper option.

In this case I believe only EY lounges can be used if you are ticketed as EYxxxx
Incorrect The ticketing airline only matters for upgrades and does not of itself affect frequent flyer earning or benefits.

OP - you will need to contact EY to obtain the NZ PNR, and then call NZ quoting this to select seats. Your NZ status will help with seat selection and lounge access in ZQN.

Earning rates on codeshares can be tricky. Don't forget ZQN-MEL has no business class so will be on an economy booking class.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Cheers to all for your input. We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
You could also see if you could bid to upgrade to F if flying the A380 for a sector for far less than the usual going rate. Would be fun if it came through!!
That would be fun Thanks for all your crediting ideas too!

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Incorrect The ticketing airline only matters for upgrades and does not of itself affect frequent flyer earning or benefits.

OP - you will need to contact EY to obtain the NZ PNR, and then call NZ quoting this to select seats. Your NZ status will help with seat selection and lounge access in ZQN.

Earning rates on codeshares can be tricky. Don't forget ZQN-MEL has no business class so will be on an economy booking class.
Yip, had not forgotten that ZQN-MEL was all economy, and we all have our favorite seats on the A320

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.