Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ANZ or SQ for SIN-AKL-SIN? (Business class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANZ or SQ for SIN-AKL-SIN? (Business class)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold (EuroBonus)
Question ANZ or SQ for SIN-AKL-SIN? (Business class)

I'm trying to make travel plans for October 2017.

Seems to make most sence to buy a GOT-AKL roundtrip and ad my TT rt seperatly. Since travelling alone and time is limited I decided to buy a business class ticket.

I now need helt to figure out if I should choose Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines for the SIN-AKL and rt segments.
I have no status with either carrier so there are no loyalty program issues involved. Just would like to know what would offer the best overall service and comfort.

My choices are SQ 285/286 or ANZ 281/282 or any combination of those. Please help me.

The past midnight departure on ANZ 282 somewhat concerns me , is there a proper meal served or is it a sleeper service?

As does the close to midnight arrival of the 281, I've ben to New Zealand twice before once arriving at AKL and once WLG, remember long lines at immigration. Will it be the same at midnight? Is it easy to get to CBD at that hour? Public transport? Taxis?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:08 pm
Suspended

There is no competition. SQ beats NZ in every aspect. However, you say time is limited, so this may affect your decision due to connection efficiency. You may wish to fall back to NZ for that reason.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I have a preference for NZ departure from AKL and SQ return just due to timings. 10.5hrs is long enough where you just want to sleep.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of NZ doing any 'sleeper services'. Another poster on another thread asked about sleeper services also. Even TT you get full service 2.5-3hr. So you can stay up for the service then hit the hay. If you like NZ wines then I'd go NZ also.

SQ is operating the 777, not the A380 during that time of year. I've not flown their 777 J long haul so can't comment. I like the look of their pics though and it seems to offer a bit more privacy than NZ's layout if that's what you're after. SQ I guess are known for providing a more service orientated flight with finer touches. They also offer book the cook if you want to look at that menu. I had problems ordering it online so had to call - small hassle.

If you want to try an array of NZ wines I'd probably go NZ. If you tell them during ordering that you want to dine later you can select what you want and they can put it aside. Not a formal dine on demand but they pretty much will offer that. I personally like the food on NZ also so, food isn't a deal breaker for me.

Also your decision may depend on your connections in SIN.

Do you have an e-passport? I find this type of entry really fast. Otherwise ask for an express card before you land if not offered. Unless you're flying labour weekend I can't see you having any major issues through immigration.

I think the NZ departure suits a TT arrival better than the SQ AKL departure, and the SQ arrival suits an AKL TT departure better. Although it seems you're staying overnight?

To get to the CBD take either skybus $18 one way I think https://www.skybus.co.nz/, or you can organize a taxi via NZ website, or you can take Uber. I get them to pick me up at the Novotel entrance which is just across the way from the arrivals area. Follow the signs. Maybe 100m walk if that. There are super shuttles as well which you could google. Also try cheap cabs http://www.cheaptaxi.co.nz/pricing/

I would either go cheap cabs or Uber personally.

You can stay at the Novotel, ibis, Jet Park as well if you don't need to travel all the way to the CBD. I've seen skycity picking up customers from the airport if you choose there.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Soph
As does the close to midnight arrival of the 281, I've ben to New Zealand twice before once arriving at AKL and once WLG, remember long lines at immigration. Will it be the same at midnight? Is it easy to get to CBD at that hour? Public transport? Taxis?
Midnight is Tasman/Pacific Island Peak, most of these passengers are on an NZ/AU Passport. Which has an seperate line for Screening after you're collected your bags.

Usually at this time of the day the que for NZ/AU passport holders is massive, and the other passport holders line is near empty.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
The only issue with 2300- midnight arrival and queues are only long if there is a Pacific Island flights coming in - often passengers with lots of luggage.

Uber to AKL city should be around $49-55 from memory. If there are two of you with luggage it makes sense to skip the bus altogether.

There should really be no difference in SQ or NZ flights with service slightly leaning toward SQ. Comfort on 787 service would be better I would imagine from lower jet engine noise and cabin pressure to be better.

Ultimately I think your decision will be driven with arrival and departure times
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for replying, lots of useful information and just what I needed.
I wrote the original post from my phone, sorry about the massive typos.

I do, however, have a few follow up questions if you dont mind. I

I'm concidering the late arrival NZ flight, and then, on a separate itinerary fly to SYD on a morning flight the day after. Arrival, customs and immigration and then just take a walk from arrivals to departures. Read that AKL is 24h service, does that mean there is something open?
Arriving late, after travelling for about 30hrs, I will be tired from travelling but I come frome GMT+1 Timezone so I'm not even sure I will want to go to sleep.
Is that a crazy idea? I'm thinking lengthy delays from SIN might make me mis an early moring connection?

Same question, only reversed. If I arrive spenda a few days in Auckland and then fly to SYD and back to AKL for my return flight. Will an early evening arrival at AKL be OK and still manage to make it o time to the midnight departure? How are the TT flights for delays? Would be a nightmare stuck in SYD and mis the entire flight back to Europe.

I'm semi flexible with dates, I need to be in SYD for 12th of October.
Any good advice?
Thank you very much,
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:17 pm

I've done plenty of overnight from long haul SIN-AKL then to SYD for work the next day - weather is unlikely a factor in AKL although always possible. Travelling from GMT+1 and not adjusting sleep patterns a few days prior is risky but is your choice.

TT delays are usually minimal - and if there are any it is always leads to cancellations. My main cancellations happen during Jan-Feb period and Oct-Nov where the weather in NZ is usually like a rubbish bin. Given this coincides with your travel period. Check your insurance policy
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
I've done plenty of overnight from long haul SIN-AKL then to SYD for work the next day - weather is unlikely a factor in AKL although always possible. Travelling from GMT+1 and not adjusting sleep patterns a few days prior is risky but is your choice.

TT delays are usually minimal - and if there are any it is always leads to cancellations. My main cancellations happen during Jan-Feb period and Oct-Nov where the weather in NZ is usually like a rubbish bin. Given this coincides with your travel period. Check your insurance policy

Thank you for sharing! Most helpful, and If I understand correctly a late night arrival to AKL and and early flight out to SYD is a safer bet than a afternoon/early evening arrival back into AKL from SYD and then the midnight departur to SIN?

Maybe I should book it all in on a single booking...

Regarding sleep, I have three kids under 5. I have no "sleeping patterns" and have involuntarily mastered the "up all night" part .

And also, please elaborate the "rubbish bin like weather". Only been to NZ during january. Of course I realise Oct is spring an Jan is summer but are we talking snow? thunder? heavy rainfall?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:27 am

If you had to risk your trip, risk it on the TT leg. Rebookings are easier that way.

Fog and wind are the two that likely put international arrivals at risk.

In NZ the only good weather period is about 2 weeks around February. The rest of the year is unpredictable in many respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.