Wiki Posts
Search

YOW to AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, Bonvoy E Gold
YOW to AKL

Flying to AKL from YOW this March for business. Flying J or C. Note that Air New Zealand only accumulates 125% in business class vs 150% for AC or UA. AC flights are longer (transit through Australia) and prefer to avoid US altogether. Is NZ significantly good enough to warrant losing 25% on such a long haul? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That for you to decide. But remember that it's not just miles.

It's double connection vs single connecting (SFO/LAX or YVR)
Transiting SYD vs poossibly US immigration (twice if return) vs connecting in YVR.
150% miles vs 125% miles
Possibility of 2 shorthaul planes vs 1 shorthaul.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by Rujbkk
Flying to AKL from YOW this March for business. Flying J or C. Note that Air New Zealand only accumulates 125% in business class vs 150% for AC or UA. AC flights are longer (transit through Australia) and prefer to avoid US altogether. Is NZ significantly good enough to warrant losing 25% on such a long haul? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
NZ flys a 772 - BOEING 777/200 from YVR to AKL. Check reviews on SeatGuru
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G
How much do you value how you feel when you arrive...? Flight from YVR is well timed for lots of sleep and whole day of light on arrival, with no aircraft change at challenging hours. Same goes for the way back up from AKL. IMHO, you'd have to really love points to sacrifice that level of convenience and comfort.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgieNZ
How much do you value how you feel when you arrive...? Flight from YVR is well timed for lots of sleep and whole day of light on arrival, with no aircraft change at challenging hours. Same goes for the way back up from AKL. IMHO, you'd have to really love points to sacrifice that level of convenience and comfort.
Unfortunately, there is a 9 hr layover in YVR on the way out and almost 6 on the way back. Another consideration is about 10,000 miles difference in Altitude accumulation.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Going via Australia you will basically lose a whole day connecting back to NZ.
Is there a pricing difference?
NZ J is a better sleeping product that AC.

Last edited by WLGNZ; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Rujbkk
Unfortunately, there is a 9 hr layover in YVR on the way out and almost 6 on the way back. Another consideration is about 10,000 miles difference in Altitude accumulation.
what are the layovers in YVR on your via Aus option?

If you go via Aus the 6 hours (and most of the 9 hours) would be used up with the extra flight time YVR-AUS and AUS-NZ and associated transit time in Australia.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
What is the price differential? I suspect you will be paying a premium for less points (and it sounds as if they are important to you), myself I would go for convenience first, unless it costs a lot more.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ottiehund
What is the price differential? I suspect you will be paying a premium for less points (and it sounds as if they are important to you), myself I would go for convenience first, unless it costs a lot more.
They are roughly the same cost. Jeffrocowboy made a good point that even with the long layover in Vancouver, it is still shorter than transiting through Australia.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Ex YOW via LAX/SFO you would need to clear US customs at some point and perhaps change planes twice. AC to NZ via YVR could be a single connection and no US customs. Regardless you'll arrive in AKL early morning--lunchtime for your YOW body clock.

AC all the way would add 6 hours to the journey to go via BNE or SYD on AC metal. You arrive early in SYD, but since that's 2 hours behind AKL you'll be arriving in AKL in the afternoon--dinnertime for your YOW body clock.

Ex-pat hoser here (take off, eh?) and I would sacrifice the 25% points premium for NZ's vastly superior hard product. Best sleep in the sky in J thanks to the mattress cover.

PS HABS
Old May 22, 2017, 4:34 pm

Anyone have experiences with paid last minute upgrades on the non-stop AKL-YVR route?
Old May 23, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
My only experience on YVR-AKL was booked in Y, and then a few days before the flight, BP was somehow inexplicably cheaper than PE. Paid ~1300CAD to upgrade to BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.