Search

Unlikely Connection?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Unlikely Connection?

Hi All,

On February 16th I will be arriving into AKL with the recently opened Qatar flight from Doha. It will arrive at 5.50 AM.

I'm looking into catching an onward domestic AIR NZ flight to Taupo which departs at 8.05 AM.

Considering they'd be two separate tickets, how likely am I to make the connection provided that the QR flight arrives on time? would it be a safe bet to book such domestic flight or better opt for a later one?

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Air NZ's domestic flight counter closes "30 or 20" minutes before departure depending on whether you have checked baggage or not, so it would depend more out clearing the immigrations and grabbing your baggage. Does't look like there're holidays near your travel date, so should work.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Under normal circumstances you would have no issue. You can be from the plane to domestic terminal within 30-40 mins incl the 8 min walk.

The unknown is delays at AKL as they can't cope with pax and flights at present. Some aircraft in the morning peak (when your arrive) are using remote stands and I'm aware of multiple pax lately who have taken between 60-90 mins to clear arrivals.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While early morning is a busy time of day for arrivals, it should be okay.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Thank you all !
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
It sounds as though you have allowed plenty of time, but I would recommend you read your travel insurance policy just in case a delay occurs, then at least you will know whether you are covered, and if so, what for.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Transfer your luggage to domestic at the international terminal. Use the airnz area. Can only do this if you get through customs etc with at least an hr before flight departs, otherwise you need to walk it over to domestic (or bus if it's raining).

As an added level of safety you could opt for a flexitime fare on nz so if for some reason QR are running late you can switch to the next flight for free. Changes can only be made on the day. I suppose you'll be in the air and no wifi on the 777. It's maybe $10 extra over seat + bag. A flexiplus fare is cancellable and refundable as well as being able to change time of flying.

If all runs well you should have loads of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.