Wiki Posts
Search

Errors in myairnz balance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Errors in myairnz balance

Has anybody ever though there could be (or have proof) or errors in the SP earn calculations in the qualifying status points box inside myairnz?

I've just got back from Japan today and logged in to look at booking some flights. I noticed that I need 49 SP before my Elite anniversary in Jan. I found this a little strange as I'd scribbled some notes before I went away on my desk working out how many points over I was going to be when I factored in planned flights.

While I don't have screenshots I have 169 written down as the number of SP I needed prior to the trip, and 135 as the number of SP that myairnz showed I would earn for the trip.

Looking at the earn for the trip I've actually earned 150 SP for the trip and now have a required balance of 49 to get to 1350.

This didn't make sense so I actually did spend some time adding up all flights for the year from my anniversary date and that adds up to 1301 which ties in with the 49 still required.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? I'm pretty certain the 169 number I had written down from prior to the trip was correct.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Has anybody ever though there could be (or have proof) or errors in the SP earn calculations in the qualifying status points box inside myairnz?

I've just got back from Japan today and logged in to look at booking some flights. I noticed that I need 49 SP before my Elite anniversary in Jan. I found this a little strange as I'd scribbled some notes before I went away on my desk working out how many points over I was going to be when I factored in planned flights.

While I don't have screenshots I have 169 written down as the number of SP I needed prior to the trip, and 135 as the number of SP that myairnz showed I would earn for the trip.

Looking at the earn for the trip I've actually earned 150 SP for the trip and now have a required balance of 49 to get to 1350.

This didn't make sense so I actually did spend some time adding up all flights for the year from my anniversary date and that adds up to 1301 which ties in with the 49 still required.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? I'm pretty certain the 169 number I had written down from prior to the trip was correct.
I assume you have factored in any expiring points?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
No changes to flights to change the SP earn?

Have all the flights posted?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I thought these were just estimates rather than guaranteed SP. Although the potential SP earn is generally what I see show up in the statements or at least "seems about right". So you'd be out maybe 7 SP one direction and 8 the other? Assuming all NZ flying.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I thought these were just estimates rather than guaranteed SP. Although the potential SP earn is generally what I see show up in the statements or at least "seems about right". So you'd be out maybe 7 SP one direction and 8 the other? Assuming all NZ flying.
How can it be estimated though? This is downright scammy and frankly, not a good enough reason. This is not just "AKL-LAX-AKL" ... "Oh, you might get between 150-400 SP". NZ has all of the info there: Fare basis / class / promo codes, etc. No reason to estimate.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
How can it be estimated though? This is downright scammy and frankly, not a good enough reason. This is not just "AKL-LAX-AKL" ... "Oh, you might get between 150-400 SP". NZ has all of the info there: Fare basis / class / promo codes, etc. No reason to estimate.
Log into your account and a booking. You'll see it says "potential earnings" for SP etc and you can click on icons for more info. This is not a scam. They are upfront about it. Booking with QF It says you can earn up to a certain amount of points etc. I don't know how many airlines make it a guarantee. As you know they can move the goal posts when they choose (ideally with some warning).

As to the why's etc you'll need to direct that question to Air NZ. I don't work for them but I'm happy to play by the stated rules. After all they're giving me things for free that had I not joined the programme and still kept flying, I would otherwise not receive.

Sbiddle can always make enquiries with Air NZ to see if it's a mistake but they can fall back on the "it's an estimate/ potential earning" policy.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Sbiddle can always make enquiries with Air NZ to see if it's a mistake but they can fall back on the "it's an estimate/ potential earning" policy.
My issue isn't the earn from this trip - it was higher than the estimate, but my point was that before the trip I'm positive it said I needed 169 SP and now I still need 49 despite earning 150. I didn't write down how many SP it was showing as my balance before the trip so can't actually pinpoint where the issue actually is.

I have major issues with the inaccuracies in SP earn calculations particularly when they're wrong even when flying only on NZ metal. I've made my thoughts known to NZ on this in the past and find it rather poor that the official response is that they don't know if this can even be fixed... I guess that's what happens when you create a FPP that's so complex with so many different SP and APD earn rates that you can't even accurately model it.

IMHO there are simply no excuses have simple errors such as the mixed fare SP/APD earn bug in the booking engine which simply displays totally random values. I'm sure most of the general public would expect to earn what the website tells them, which can easily be 100% more SP and APD that you will actually get for the flights (yes this is an extreme example, but a combination some people could book which is simply a TT flight for this weekend for 2 people)

I know if I saw that I was going to earn 132 SP and APD $26 for a trip and actually only got 65 SP and APD $13 I'd be annoyed, and that's exactly what it shows when I did a dummy booking now to get some sample figures.

If I challanged Air NZ for every mixed fare I'd purchased this year that had incorrect earn displayed they'd probably owe me another 200 SP and maybe another APD $100
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:21 pm

From an IT perspective what is going?

Can't they have a centralised calculate APD and SP function? And then have the booking engine and the post flight allocation call the one centralised function?

If they have implemented the calculator function twice in two different places and most probably with two different teams, no wonder they can't get the same number. To me from the outside it is showing a bad enterprise architecture that getting duplication like this. In a good design this should only be implemented the once.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by nzkarit
From an IT perspective what is going?

Can't they have a centralised calculate APD and SP function? And then have the booking engine and the post flight allocation call the one centralised function?

If they have implemented the calculator function twice in two different places and most probably with two different teams, no wonder they can't get the same number. To me from the outside it is showing a bad enterprise architecture that getting duplication like this. In a good design this should only be implemented the once.
I just continue to assume the following:

- It's an old, and poorly architected system that hasn't scaled well;
- The product team know it sucks;
- They know it should be its own service; but
- It's a high cost, low priority item to fix.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
I have had the same problem as the OP describes, again only a memory that they were wrong without screenshots.
I tend to be obsessive about screenshots these days, just to make sure things 'come right' with time.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:58 am

Um, can someone actually point me to a place that on Air NZ's website during the booking process where it says that these are just estimates or is this just another rumour? I was able to find *one* page deep within NZ's website but you would never know this without specifically searching the page. Indeed, I can't see it mentioned anywhere during booking.

The page very clearly says when booking underneath the price "Earn 78APD / 120 SP". There is no mention of an estimate. I suspect the only reason for a reference to an estimate may be when there are changes made to the fare later in the booking. Such as when selecting the flexibility option on your flight on page three (in which case, you should generally get more earn as the fare class changes).

If anyone here is able to get definitive proof of this being a regular occurrence I suspect the ComCom may be interested to investigate. Until then, all we have is rumours and nothing definitive. For what it's worth, I don't think I can ever recall a time where this has happened to me. More-so, contacting NZ via. Facebook Messages has usually lead to a resolution within 20 minutes or so (which is quicker than they seem to answer the phone these days).

If you want to look for an actual Airpoints scam look no further than the Skycouch. Pay an extra $2800 return and get no extra APD / SP, not even a dollar.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Um, can someone actually point me to a place that on Air NZ's website during the booking process where it says that these are just estimates or is this just another rumour?

During the booking process:

( Link if the image decides to not work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Q...ew?usp=sharing )

Once booked and under your account:

( Link if the image decides to not work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Q...ew?usp=sharing )

Note the highlighted/underlined texts in the above screenshots.

Last edited by Kamadan; Nov 22, 2016 at 4:07 am
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:44 am
Suspended

Um, can someone actually point me to a place that on Air NZ's website during the booking process where it says that these are just estimates or is this just another rumour? I was able to find *one* page deep within NZ's website but you would never know this without specifically searching the page. Indeed, I can't see it mentioned anywhere during booking.

The page very clearly says when booking underneath the price "Earn 78APD / 120 SP". There is no mention of an estimate. I suspect the only reason for a reference to an estimate may be when there are changes made to the fare later in the booking. Such as when selecting the flexibility option on your flight on page three (in which case, you should generally get more earn as the fare class changes).

If anyone here is able to get definitive proof of this being a regular occurrence I suspect the ComCom may be interested to investigate. Until then, all we have is rumours and nothing definitive. For what it's worth, I don't think I can ever recall a time where this has happened to me. More-so, contacting NZ via. Facebook Messages has usually lead to a resolution within 20 minutes or so (which is quicker than they seem to answer the phone these days).

If you want to look for an actual Airpoints scam look no further than the Skycouch. Pay an extra $2800 return and get no extra APD / SP, not even a dollar.
What is your preoccupation with Air NZ and scams? They are open about the AP earn in all cases. The fact that you don't like it is irrelevant. You have the choice to fly with others, but no doubt you will find they are scamming you too
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Just to add to this I just got the Nov Airpoints update email. It tells me my Status Points balance is 1325 as of today but that I still need 49 to requalify.

Both the app and myairnz show a balance of 1301 and 49 required. Something is definitely screwed up!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Just to add to this I just got the Nov Airpoints update email. It tells me my Status Points balance is 1325 as of today but that I still need 49 to requalify.

Both the app and myairnz show a balance of 1301 and 49 required. Something is definitely screwed up!
Are you going to call the airpoints team? Or email the discrepancy in?

I hope you've got 50 SP planned (or a bit more). Personally I'd go by what the statement tally was.

No chance it's credit card related? Eg cancelled booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.