Wiki Posts
Search

Gold roll over

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E
Gold roll over

I have to get less than 30 SP for my *G to rollover for another year, and bookings in the next fortnight to cover them. My renewal date is late April, so I should make it easily.
There are a couple of things I'm uncertain about.
1. I have one RU left. Does it expire when I requalify in a couple of weeks, or on my renewal date next year?
2. What happens to all the SP I get between now and my renewal date? I suspect they are wasted unless I get to *E, but if anyone can confirm.
3. My normal travel will see me hovering in the 1300 to 1400 range. Are there any ways of getting up to the magic 1500 mark through flying only?
4. As an alternative to getting to 1500, and assuming the SPs will otherwise be lost, is there something else I can do with them? Put them to another program or gift them to someone, perhaps?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
1) For requalification unused RU won't expire until the end of the current membership year, but for qualification of a higher status unused RU expire on attainment of the higher status. Unused does not include any requested upgrades supported by RU for future flights that have not yet cleared.

2) Yes extra SP are wasted unless you qualify for a higher tier.

3) Paying for more expensive fare types that earn more SP.

4) SP can't be gifted. If most of your flying is on NZ (especially if it is domestic and/or cheap fares), then little or no earning on other schemes so not much point in crediting excess flights somewhere else. If most of your flying is on *A and/or business class, then it may be worth crediting to another program - but probably not for this level of flying (fragmented balances get wasted easily).
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E
just need to take note that you only need 1350 to get another year after your initial 1500. So if you can get 1350, then it is ok. You should also consider having a AP CC to get you some points should you do not fly as much as you would otherwise expected to
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kiwi Flyer and mmonster. I think I'll go for *E and try to hold it, because that seems better than the alternatives.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Singapore lounge

So I solved the dilemma. Barring disaster I'll be *E after a trip through Singapore and back in the week of 9 January.
It seems that I can get into the KF Gold lounge, but it's not as good as the Silverkris lounge and maybe doesn't have showers?
Is it worthwhile trying at the Silverkris lounge as a *G?
I'll be at 1450 on the way back through and at 1600ish when I return. Would Air NZ consider bumping me up to *E early, so I can have a shower? Though the connection times are tight, one hour outbound and 90 minutes inbound. Will I even have time to go to the lounge?
I requested my last RU on my current *G year on the way out to Singapore, for PE to business.
If it is declined I'd like a last shot on the Singapore to Auckland leg. I guess it would be better to get the upgrade and go to the KF Gold lounge. Can anyone advise?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
How many points away from Elite? It's very unlikely you will be admitted into SilverKris as they do check for Elite and Elite Partner
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
How many points away from Elite? It's very unlikely you will be admitted into SilverKris as they do check for Elite and Elite Partner
About 1280 now, 1440 at the end of the outwards leg and 1620 once I'm back.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
60 SP might be too big a gap to get Air NZ to bump you to the required 1500. Call them up anyway given you have a return booking. Once upgraded then you might need an email or something to confirm for SilverKris. Showers are pretty average and tired in SilverKris at SIN. Separate toilets as well

Change in status tiers take about a month to propagate across *A
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:46 pm

Sign up for a Diners card before you go, free access to plenty of lounges with your card - are SIN there are a few SATS lounges which have showers, in my opinion better than the Gold KF lounge (which is as busy as Akl Dom Koru but worse food)
Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: NZ*E
I'd agree with others that it's exceptionally unlikely that you will be let in to the SilverKris lounge without having qualified as an elite, regardless of how close you are. They are typically quite strict (eg. They do rigidly enforce no guests) and I would assume that this is because NZ will only pay for someone who fits the criteria.

On my way out last week I tried the NZ contract lounge (SATS) and I'd say it was significantly better than the KrisFlyer gold lounge, it also has showers unlike KF Gold. The KF one is rubbish, SQ should really be embarrassed given its their main terminal in their home port but I guess unless you're flying J or above with them they don't care.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
A slightly related question: I currently am 60SP away from qualifying for gold, the rollover date is on Jan 7th, this Saturday. However I intend to fly to Queenstown tomorrow and return on Friday.

I haven't booked this flight yet bus according to the calculator on the booking site, I can expect to earn between 40 and 70 status points depending on the particular fare I book.

Should I pay more to ensure that I get 60 points or will Air NZ be willing to gift me 10-20 points to make up the difference?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
A slightly related question: I currently am 60SP away from qualifying for gold, the rollover date is on Jan 7th, this Saturday. However I intend to fly to Queenstown tomorrow and return on Friday.

I haven't booked this flight yet bus according to the calculator on the booking site, I can expect to earn between 40 and 70 status points depending on the particular fare I book.

Should I pay more to ensure that I get 60 points or will Air NZ be willing to gift me 10-20 points to make up the difference?
While NZ has been known to requalify some people who fell just short this is never guaranteed, may only be for a few short, and doesn't apply to first qualification of a status level.

If you want to be sure of gold status then book a fare that earns 60SP.

If you book on airnz.co.nz you should see exactly how many status points you will earn (unless based in Australia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.