Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand OneUp Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

One up question

I will be flying AKL/LAX on NZ6 Sept 15th. I have put in a one-up bid for $580 from economy to PE - spaceseat as that was the first step above weak in average.
Current Expertflyer basic is showing 5 empty in PE, 2 blocked and 1 red, and 19 in B.
Anyone know what chance I would have? Do they move PE to B on upgrades if it means they can move more from Y to PE?
Also - back of the plane is looking ok at the moment - if I do pay to upgrade to preferred seat is that taken into account at all for the one-up bid?
Many thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by NYkiwi
I will be flying AKL/LAX on NZ6 Sept 15th. I have put in a one-up bid for $580 from economy to PE - spaceseat as that was the first step above weak in average.
Current Expertflyer basic is showing 5 empty in PE, 2 blocked and 1 red, and 19 in B.
Anyone know what chance I would have? Do they move PE to B on upgrades if it means they can move more from Y to PE?
Also - back of the plane is looking ok at the moment - if I do pay to upgrade to preferred seat is that taken into account at all for the one-up bid?
Many thanks.
Empty seats doesn't necessarily mean it's an unsold/free seat. It could mean it's unassigned.

Also, keep in mind that all NZ's own HVCs using Recognition upgrades will come ahead of you of the queue, that's Silver, Gold, Elites before they will even consider OneUps.

Chances are if you don't get an e-mail saying your OneUp clears by T-3/4 days out, you will probably only find out on the day of travel during check-in.

Yes, they will clear some PE -> J requests thus freeing up the PE cabin for Y -> PE requests, however I doubt it will have any correlation to how successful your bid will be.

Paying for a preferred seat in Y prior to placing a OneUp has no effect on the bid outcome, only status (with NZ) and $ amount bidded will determine your place in the queue.

As your travel date is before NZ school holidays (and school will have already started in the Northern Hemisphere), you might have an above average chance of it clearing.

FYI I travelled on NZ3 on Monday (24th Aug), and the J cabin went out with 9 empty seats (out of 26 on a refit 777-200ER). Travelling on days where NZ runs 3 services (NZ1/2, 5/6 and 3/4) would increase your chance as there are lots more available seats in the pool, and avoid NZ1/2 as that's usually full of traffic to/from LHR if you want a better than average chance for an upgrade.

Last edited by Kamadan; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Thats awesome information.

I will keep my fingers crossed then - its a tuesday night with the 2 and 6 so im hoping I have a slighter better than usual chance.

Thanks for the great info!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

So with 8 days out I have just recd the email of "we are reviewing your upgrade requests and notice you have made a low offer..."
Is that just a way to try and get me to jump up the price anyway? Is it a marketing/promo thing by them or is it really I need to increase it??
Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
So with 8 days out I have just recd the email of "we are reviewing your upgrade requests and notice you have made a low offer..."
Is that just a way to try and get me to jump up the price anyway? Is it a marketing/promo thing by them or is it really I need to increase it??
Thanks
Yes, it's a game of chicken.

Your offer might be too low to be realistically be considered, based upon your offer, destination, loading, other requests etc.

or...

They are trying to squeeze more out of you.

As the process is not transparent, you will never know.

You just need to decide how much you want the upgrade, decide your budget and what will be will be.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

So its still the waiting game.
Recd the email yesterday that they are unable to confirm at this time and will be reviewed 7-9 hours prior to departure. They really are holding on until the last minute.
Expert flyer today has gone from 3 open in PE and 11 in J to now showing 12 in PE and 13 in J.
Fingers are crossed - will update once I hear more!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Expert flyer today has gone from 3 open in PE and 11 in J to now showing 12 in PE and 13 in J.
What does this mean?

Did you read the first sentence of the first reply?

It is impossible to rely on EF seat maps as to your upgrade chances - either seats aren't allocated yet or changes take place prior to check-in (last-minute bookings/cancellations).

I hope it comes through for you, but you are better off not expecting it and being very happily surprised if it does work out.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Yes I did read the first sentence of the first reply.

All I was doing was commenting how it has weirdly changed. And no I'm not expecting it.

But thanks for your super friendly reply.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:49 am

Question Air New Zealand OneUp Upgrade Question

Hello,

I have a flight booked for August from Heathrow to LAX on Air New Zealand for myself and my daughter. I have just received an email from them saying I was eligible for their "OneUp" upgrade where I can tell them how much I'm willing to pay to be upgraded.

Has anybody ever done this before and if so, what do you think a good price range to put is?

Thanks for the insight!

Cheers,

Dave
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Welcome to FT, we have an Air New Zealand forum here which I've asked a MOD to move this to for more accurate answers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Lengthy and current thread of interest:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...neup-bids.html

Benefits: cheaper entry into a better cabin than paying full whack
Drawbacks: absolute bottom of the heap in upgrade priority, and the $ you pay doesn't benefit any frequent flyer status you may have
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
RU's hard to clear from PE to J. There is better chance going from Y to PE on a RU. For Oneup's I'd say the chance is slim on NZ1/2/5/6 given I've enquirer about a range of dates
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:21 pm

I flew last Friday night SIN-AKL in J my parents were booked in PE and made a $700 bid each to oneup to PE which showed a a Strong bid on the meter. They were informed 3 days out bid unsucessful. On board in J there were 3 empty J seats for that flight.

I personally in the past have tried 3x using OneUp to upgrade from PE to J on same route with Strong & Very Strong Bids + status and still unsuccessful. Have tried twice unsuccessfully PE to J on AKL-LAX route.

So would agree PE to J on OneUp longhaul very difficult. Trans-tasman though? A different story, many times upgraded to J with very low OneUp bids
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Will an X fare (economy award) be eligible for a oneup bid?

Asked NZ service center but seems it’s to big a secret to get a reply

Anyone know if you can apply for a OneUp on an X booking code?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
X is economy award, so no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.