Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Domestic: Using Flexitime to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is possible but I don't see why not. I want to fly out from Auckland on a Thursday evening flight at 7:30 p.m. but they are about $179 just for the seat. On that same Thursday, a 7:10 a.m. flight is for $99 for the Seat and ~$129 for flexitime.

So my question is, Can i buy the earlier flight on flexitime and just before that flight takes off, change it to the evening one or one of the other evening ones depending how quick we can get off work. Is this possible?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes.

It's something myself (and a lot of others I know) do very frequently.

You just need to be fully aware of the risks and consequences. If you gamble you don't always win..
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Flexitime conditions on Air New Zealand's website are:

flexitime includes the flexibility of being able to change your flight to an earlier or later flight that same day of travel when available*
*Subject to availability on the day and please be aware that for domestic routes where we operate only 2-3 flight times per day, the ability to change to an earlier flight or later flight will be reduced.
So if you book the earlier flight and the later flights fill up, you would be stuck with the 7:10 am flight.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
That is a gamble - certainly don't do it if you have client meetings or for work.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Are you taking check in, if so add at least $10?
My advice is for $50 you will have a guaranteed seat on the flight you want rather than risk not being on the flight you want.
Would I do it on regional flight? No due to lack of schedule.
Remember you must make the change before the flight closes or you will be further out of pocket as the change cannot be made after the flight has closed.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by HellraiserNZ

So my question is, Can i buy the earlier flight on flexitime and just before that flight takes off, change it to the evening one or one of the other evening ones depending how quick we can get off work. Is this possible?
If you really want to be playing this game I'd highly recommend checking availability the day before and it possible changing your flight at midnight when the change option becomes available.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by sbiddle
If you really want to be playing this game I'd highly recommend checking availability the day before and it possible changing your flight at midnight when the change option becomes available.
+1.

I always set my alarm and change at 12.01am.

Never failed - would have saved a fair bit of cash using this method.

But as others have said - it is all down to (bad) luck - you may miss out as sometimes flights are sold out.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by robbau

But as others have said - it is all down to (bad) luck - you may miss out as sometimes flights are sold out.
And that's exactly it. I buy these regularly and have never had an issue.

The day will come however when I get stuck somewhere, but I am prepared for this.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'll chime in and say I do this to save a few bob. Haven't had it fall through yet. I also change it just after midnight, too scared I'll forget otherwise.

Taking the gamble depends on if I can afford it time wise, the likelihood of a flight selling out eg peak season, popular flight times and routes, and whether the back up plan is acceptable.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Evening flights can sometimes be 100% full. E.g. if there were flight cancellations earlier in the day. There have been times when I've been booked flexi on the last flight of the day and unable to switch to any of 3 earlier flights as they were all full.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Evening flights can sometimes be 100% full. E.g. if there were flight cancellations earlier in the day. There have been times when I've been booked flexi on the last flight of the day and unable to switch to any of 3 earlier flights as they were all full.
Changing at midnight should negate any flight cancellations throughout the day though as they wont have occurred yet.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:54 am

Woah! I just read that flexitime + flexiplus both include no fare difference when making changes to the departure time on the day. Definitely the opportunity to save money here.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:10 pm

It's only an opportunity to save money if you're fully aware the time will come where you do get burnt. I've been lucky it hasn't happened to me yet, but it's safe to say it will happen. I would never do it for $50 because I see no point.

It's like buying flexiplus tickets to get free date changes to the same class. You can save by doing this and then changing flights on the day to the one you want. But like all exploits the day will come when it comes unstuck.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Changing at midnight should negate any flight cancellations throughout the day though as they wont have occurred yet.
Yes for the OP but not for me. The recent instances I refer to were all when I was arriving on separate tickets on other airlines. No point in switching to an earlier flight only to miss it if the flight into AKL is running late or get held up at immigration/customs.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
I've must have done it 10 times last year and all 10 were fine...saved a load of money. As people have mentioned, I got up at midnight and made the change then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.