Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for Air NZ ticket - AKL to DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
Ideas for Air NZ ticket - AKL to DXB

I am planning a (Economy/Premium Economy) business trip from AKL to DXB in October and looking at getting the best benefit from my NZ Elite status. I would prefer to book an Air NZ ticket rather than direct with a Star Alliance partner. Looking for ideas that maximize SP, lounge access and potential upgrades - I have a completely open mind on the route, long layovers and partner metal etc... curious if anyone has some one has looked at this type of thing in the past??
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Have you rung Air NZ to see what they can do? Since it's not an option on the website you'll probably have to speak to the holidays team.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller
I am planning a (Economy/Premium Economy) business trip from AKL to DXB in October and looking at getting the best benefit from my NZ Elite status. I would prefer to book an Air NZ ticket rather than direct with a Star Alliance partner. Looking for ideas that maximize SP, lounge access and potential upgrades - I have a completely open mind on the route, long layovers and partner metal etc... curious if anyone has some one has looked at this type of thing in the past??

The only route that I can think of, that's "direct" and with NZ/*A would be routing via Singapore with NZ/SQ:

NZ282 AKL-SIN 23:50 (NZST) 06:21+1 (SGT)
SQ494 SIN-DXB 15:10 (SGT) 18:25 (GST)

That will give you NZ metal for maximum NZ Elite benefits, ~9 hours layover in Singapore and access to the "better" SQ SilverKris Business Lounge with Elite status.

On the return, it'd look like:

SQ495 DXB-SIN 20:00 (GST) 07:30+1 (SGT)
NZ281 SIN-AKL 8:40 (SGT) 22:00 (NZST)

So only a 1h10min connect time, of course you can choose to connect to a NZ codeshare/SQ operated service instead to extend your transit at Singapore...

SQ285 (NZ3285) SIN-AKL 21:10 (SGT) 10:50 (NZST) which will give you ~14 hours of transit time.

Last edited by Kamadan; Jun 23, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You could go via BKK and connect onwards on TG, though not sure what product you'd get on the BKK-DXB route.

If you're happy with additional stops, there are multiple other options, including some non-*A with NZ's other alliance partners (CX via HKG, EY via PER or other Australian or Asian ports).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
You could go via BKK and connect onwards on TG, though not sure what product you'd get on the BKK-DXB route.

If you're happy with additional stops, there are multiple other options, including some non-*A with NZ's other alliance partners (CX via HKG, EY via PER or other Australian or Asian ports).

OP's NZ Elite and would prefer flying on NZ (086) ticket stock, and able to lodge Elite APD upgrades, or *A for benefits/status points earn.

Hence the suggestion of routing through SIN with NZ/SQ.

Of course if he isn't concerned about *A benefits, the most "logical" choice would be the direct EK AKL-DXB service... no point in non-*A stops/connection options at this point.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mad_atta
It's the crap angle flat seating at about 160 degrees incline on their A330's a while ago. Probably among the worst offering amongst the competition- but maybe not amongst Star Alliance given the limited competition on these routes.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints and United Mileageplus
From experience, it's cheaper to buy an SQ ticket than an NZ ticket even if you're flying on the same metal. This has been the case for me for the last two years when I've bought flights from AKL-BLR: the SQ quotes have been several hundred dollars cheaper than the NZ ones.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
OP's NZ Elite and would prefer flying on NZ (086) ticket stock, and able to lodge Elite APD upgrades, or *A for benefits/status points earn.

Hence the suggestion of routing through SIN with NZ/SQ.
Oops, had a bit of a brain fart re AKL-BKK-DXB - it is at least *A, but I forgot NZ didn't fly to BKK.

Seems amazing that via SIN is the only option that allows you to fly NZ to a partner gateway and then get a nonstop *A flight to DXB.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
I fly this route regularly and the best option is AKL-SIN-DXB with SQ..
SQ tickets are typically several hundreds cheaper than NZ tickets sadly.

On the outbound it's impossible to get NZ metal without a long lay-over. On the way back you can make a fairly swift connection with NZ metal for SIN-AKL leg
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
FYI - I ended up booking AKL-SIN-DXB with SQ direct [Thanks Mart81 & shivNZ]

This was considerably cheaper than the exact same flights via Air NZ - including some that were NZ Metal.

Thank you to all who commented and suggested ideas (I explored them all) it was a most interesting exercise.

Last edited by Biz_Traveller; Jun 27, 2016 at 10:06 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller
FYI - I ended up booking AKL-SIN-DXB with SQ direct [Thanks Mart81 & shivNZ]

This was considerably cheaper than the exact same flights via Air NZ - including some that were NZ Metal.

Thank you to all who commented and suggested ideas (I explored them all) it was a most interesting exercise.

Happy to see that it worked out for you in the end.

Just a note that because your ticket is issued with SQ, even if some of the flights are flown/operated on NZ Metal, you won't be able to lodge Elite APD or OneUp upgrades for them.

Glad to be corrected if you somehow managed to get upgrades working.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nope - there is no way to apply or get NZ upgrades applied unless you're on an 086 ticket on NZ metal.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Yea, this is the thing on this route if you are keen to upgrade then the only way is to shell out more $$ and book NZ ticket stock.

Glad you found a solution, I can recommend to book exit row seats if they're available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.