Search

Using NZ issued APEC card to enter US

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
Using NZ issued APEC card to enter US

Greetings, fellow travellers
Heading to the US on Thu for the first time since getting my APEC I know we still need ESTA etc as US is only a provisional member.

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer, have tried googling to no avail

- if US is not listed on the back of our cards, can we still use fast lane immigration? All I seem to be able to find out is that US doesn't print anything even on the back of its own cards. So is this normal? Or has US turned us down?

- husband and I each have our own APEC card; travelling with teenage kids (husband and me heading to conference). If we can use APEC lanes, can we take kids with us?

Thanks in anticipation
Old May 30, 2016, 3:22 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
APEC Business Travel Card

All your questions are answered on the APEC website

The United States is a transitional member of the scheme. In the United States, legislation has been passed authorizing the issuance of ABTCs to eligible persons. U.S. Customs and Border Protection is in the process of commencing card issuance.

APEC Business Travel Card

United States
APEC Cardholders are entitled to use ’fast-track’ immigration lanes (which in most instances is the air-crew lane) upon entry at all international airports.

Valid visas must be obtained if required by existing United States law.

ABTC Summary

Frequently Asked Questions
8. A bona fide business person is taken to mean a person who is engaged in the trade of goods, the provision of services or the conduct of investment activities. It specifically does not include:
8.1. the business person’s dependent spouse and children;
Old May 30, 2016, 4:53 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
You can use the fast lanes which are the very first ones (as you arrive on the left) when you reach Passport Control.

Most of the airport ground staff have no idea about this, even the ones standing in front of the lanes marked APEC.

Now the bad news. You absolutely are not entitled to take anyone through with you who hasn't got their own APEC card. Even your kids.

But fortunately so few people know what an APEC card is that you sometimes can get away with it anyway.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Have used APEC multiple times entering the US, saves time for sure, but sometimes you just end up waiting for baggage anyway.
Copped a bollocking once at LAX when in transit to a Lufthansa flight, said I shouldn't be using it unless entering. He was absolutely right, but luckily didn't kick me to the general queue.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DCF
You can use the fast lanes which are the very first ones (as you arrive on the left) when you reach Passport Control.
Which airport are you talking about? LAX?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - we're arriving into Houston.

Not for this time with the kids, then. But for future reference, even without US printed in the back of the card is it eligible there? That was the thing I couldn't find anywhere.

Though it sounds a bit hit & miss there anyway...
Old May 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Arrivals into IAH are really quick anyway. Was under 20 mins from plane to Supershuttle kiosk for me when I flew at the end of last year and I've heard plenty of others who have experienced similar quick entry.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, sbiddle. That certainly would be good
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I use the APEC card at LAX regularly. It saves me time. When busy at LAX you can also use the "express" side at customs, where the normal lines are sometimes very long.
At YUL entering the US the other day they knew about APEC cards, but had not seen one before.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:07 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Which airport are you talking about? LAX?
Sorry, yes, I meant LAX.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:29 pm

Somewhat off topic but out of interest how often are the people here flying that they need an APEC card? I was considering applying for one myself.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Somewhat off topic but out of interest how often are the people here flying that they need an APEC card? I was considering applying for one myself.
Well worth it if doing business in China. Saves a lot on visas and also the best is that it gets thru immigration and security a lot faster- usually to the front of the queue. I actually used my APEC card last time thru Ningbo airport as the security queues were long due to the May day holidays- not sure they had seen one before but they let me thru the VIP security line!

Last edited by brucelee; Jun 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm Reason: added more information
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Qantas Gold, Accor Gold
I have an APEC card and use it a lot for work, and generally I travel alone. I'm interested to know if there are any places where you can use it to take your family through?
I have a colleague who says he has used it to take his family through in Hong Kong - but not sure if this was a one-off/mistake, or whether it's ok.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:58 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by magnummike
I have an APEC card and use it a lot for work, and generally I travel alone. I'm interested to know if there are any places where you can use it to take your family through?
I have a colleague who says he has used it to take his family through in Hong Kong - but not sure if this was a one-off/mistake, or whether it's ok.
Refer to Post #2 above. The card does not cover family members.

The card replaces the need to apply for individual visa's therefore it is linked to your passport for your own use.

With the queues at HKG I could imagine the Immigration Officer would have said it was ok to bring the family through - New Zealand Passport holders do not need a visa to enter HKG.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I travel to Japan often. "Wife is ok" to accompany me with the APEC card. (It just let's us jump the line).

Best destination to speed up access for me has been coming into ZQN from Australia... frustratingly there are no lines for NZ Passport holders, and with all of the holidaymakers and kids, it can be a slow process if you arrive when there are a lot of flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.