Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ check-in at YVR

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
NZ check-in at YVR

I was told by NZ that I can only check-in up to 3 hrs ahead of my departure.
I was thinking about coming a few hours earlier so I can get some work done at the AC lounge. Will I be able to check-in like 4-5 hours prior to the departure?
Also does NZ have any self-serve kiosks at YVR that I can use in case there's a long line?
Old May 17, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You will only be able to check-in when the counters open which is the standard 3 hours before a flight. There were no kiosks there when I flew through in Nov, but if you have *G you can use the premium check-in.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
TT you can check in 3 hours before departure. I got pinged by the domestic lounges having got dropped off 4 hours before my flight and the system beeped red. Have not tired it on Intl yet
Old May 17, 2016, 3:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Contract staff are used at YVR so no chance of checking in early.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Also, for what it's worth, the AC lounge is a dump compared to the "general population" areas of the terminal.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Fast6
Also, for what it's worth, the AC lounge is a dump compared to the "general population" areas of the terminal.
it certainly is not great for food
Old May 18, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
The Maple Leaf Lounge in the international section of YVR is a "dump"?

Not my experience at all. Go through it every year, in fact. It's relatively small, but has good showers, a light buffet (it's not much of an international transit airport) and good range of beverages for a self-serve lounge.

Old May 18, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: NZ elite partner
I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was nice. The bar is self-service, I enjoyed that a little too much.

Later, when I was standing at the gate, I realised my wallet was missing! A great relief to find it at the front desk when I ran back to the lounge looking for it.

Last edited by pandai; May 18, 2016 at 3:45 am Reason: freudian slip
Old May 18, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I had no issues with it when I last used it in Nov. Wasn't quite up to the new Koru food standards but the food and booze selection were both good.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by jawnbc
The Maple Leaf Lounge in the international section of YVR is a "dump"?

Not my experience at all. Go through it every year, in fact. It's relatively small, but has good showers, a light buffet (it's not much of an international transit airport) and good range of beverages for a self-serve lounge.
I always thought there was no shower in the international Maple Leaf Lounge, which has always put me off flying LHR-YVR-AKL, as I always like to have one between the two long sectors. If there is one, I'll reconsider it
Old May 18, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by libertyuk
I always thought there was no shower in the international Maple Leaf Lounge, which has always put me off flying LHR-YVR-AKL, as I always like to have one between the two long sectors. If there is one, I'll reconsider it
I did too - I had a number of transits through YVR international a few years ago now, all on late night departures when a shower would be welcome, and there were definitely no showers then. The MLL lounge listing on the AC website doesn't show it as having showers either.

The transborder lounge at YVR was much nicer and more modern, and had showers. Is there any chance you're thinking of that one, jawnbc?
Old May 18, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
I stand by my comment. The international terminal is really nice, and it feels a lot like the lobby of a fancy hotel. In comparison, the AC lounge, while functional, feels like a drab conference room in some forgotten corner of said fancy hotel.

All of the standard benefits of a lounge apply: free food and drink, no worrying about your possessions when you go to the bathroom, etc. But, compared to the terminal itself, yes, it's kind of a dump.

Next time I'm through YVR, I'll make sure I'm well-fed, probably thanks to the lounge, but I'll be hanging out with the proletariat out amongst the plants and nice architecture
Old May 18, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I stand by my comment. The international terminal is really nice, and it feels a lot like the lobby of a fancy hotel. In comparison, the AC lounge, while functional, feels like a drab conference room in some forgotten corner of said fancy hotel.

All of the standard benefits of a lounge apply: free food and drink, no worrying about your possessions when you go to the bathroom, etc. But, compared to the terminal itself, yes, it's kind of a dump.

Next time I'm through YVR, I'll make sure I'm well-fed, probably thanks to the lounge, but I'll be hanging out with the proletariat out amongst the plants and nice architecture
I felt the same way about it too, though admittedly it's been a few years since I passed through it last and I wondered whether it had been freshened up. But I agree it felt like it belonged to a different (ie older and frumpier) era from the rest of the terminal.

It was a bit like the CHC International Koru Lounge used to be: you walked through the shiny new terminal but then the NZ lounge was through a door into the old part of the terminal, and the difference was jarring!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.