Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best Credit Card for AIRNZ Koru/Gold/Elite traveller

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond

Looking at the various cards (Mastercard and Visa)
The Westpac World Card seems to be the best
1: Highest earning card 50-65 dollars to earn one airpoint
2: Equal highest SP earn at $225 +1 SP
3: with the lowest fees (they said they rebate 100% of the fee but in 6 mths in arrears on achieving the required spend in the previous 6 mths)
4: The lounge passes on the KiwiBank Card have no value (speaking to KiwiBank they are not transferrable)
5: Two free Koru Valet carparks
6:Unlimited airport lounge access on Priority Pass to airport lounges where I can't use the *A card
7: Hotel upgrade ..Starwood

ps this is based on a $50k spend each 6mth
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Beano
2: Equal highest SP earn at $225 +1 SP
No. Kiwibank Airpoints Platinum MasterCard has the best SP earn at $200/1 SP
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpo...mparison-table
https://www.kiwibank.co.nz/personal-...um-mastercard/

For your $50k churn/6 months, that's 28 SP difference (250 Vs ~222)... which makes it not a lot really on the grand scheme of things (if you need 1350SP/yr to re-qualify for Elite anyways)

If you are churning that much and will get your annual fee waived, then the Westpac World MC is the one to get.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'd go the Westpac world card also. The SPG is only for 1 yr and ticks over I think within the wk to gold. I ended up calling SPG and there was some code they entered. I wondered if this allowed gold to come through earlier than their advertised 6-8 wk with Westpac (I think it's that long).

I use the valet parking passes and your EP can too.

At your spend and the earn rate you'll either get the $395 waived or accumulate enough APD where it will pay for itself so sounds like a win win.

And yes kiwibank plat is $200/SP but irrelevant in grand scheme.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
I am about to switch form the Westpac airpoints platinum to the World one, in my case it was because no daily limit on the world card (its set to $20k on the other one) which for larger business purchases is not ideal. I wasn't even aware of the other benefits so good to hear that!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:30 pm

American Express is offering 800 bonus Airpoints on their Platinum card for new applicants who spend $2000 in 3 months. Any feedback on that card and whether that's a good bonus?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wes2225
American Express is offering 800 bonus Airpoints on their Platinum card for new applicants who spend $2000 in 3 months. Any feedback on that card and whether that's a good bonus?
I'd had enough of cc changes last yr so got the partner to sign up. We've met the spend so just waiting for 800 APD to come through and take the domestic flight at some point. I think you have to be careful about when you cancel the card which I'll need to re read and remind myself but I think it's something along the lines of if you cancel early (can't recall the exact definition but I guess it's there to stop people churning), that you will lose the APD you just gained. I'm planning on trying to book a flight with the 800 APD then cancel the card but I'll have to check the rules again. I'm not a fan of the extra charge amex attracts or the limited places it's accepted. If I can find some other benefit it's useful for that I don't already get with my other 2 cc then we may keep it but it's not needed.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:41 am

The Amex Platinum offers domestic travel insurance as well, afaik all the others only offer overseas insurance.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I'd had enough of cc changes last yr so got the partner to sign up. We've met the spend so just waiting for 800 APD to come through and take the domestic flight at some point. I think you have to be careful about when you cancel the card which I'll need to re read and remind myself but I think it's something along the lines of if you cancel early (can't recall the exact definition but I guess it's there to stop people churning), that you will lose the APD you just gained. I'm planning on trying to book a flight with the 800 APD then cancel the card but I'll have to check the rules again. I'm not a fan of the extra charge amex attracts or the limited places it's accepted. If I can find some other benefit it's useful for that I don't already get with my other 2 cc then we may keep it but it's not needed.
If I remember from when I had a look at the T&Cs, I think they also have quite a wait period for the bonus APD to appear in your account.

Can't quite remember if it was in-line with other cards though, but seemed excessive.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If you do not need domestic insurance then the World card would be good value given SPG Gold and Priority Pass
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I think you have to be careful about when you cancel the card which I'll need to re read and remind myself but I think it's something along the lines of if you cancel early (can't recall the exact definition but I guess it's there to stop people churning), that you will lose the APD you just gained. I'm planning on trying to book a flight with the 800 APD then cancel the card but I'll have to check the rules again.
Good point. Will have to have a close look to see what the T&Cs say.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by yotty
If I remember from when I had a look at the T&Cs, I think they also have quite a wait period for the bonus APD to appear in your account.

Can't quite remember if it was in-line with other cards though, but seemed excessive.
Yeah, it does take a while. From the T&Cs:

Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online by 2 February 2016, are approved and spend $2000 on their new Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express International (NZ), Inc in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. 800 bonus Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
I have the AMEX Platinum and am really pleased with it

Also gives non-status holders lounge access to the Sydney AMEX lounge (Handy for me as I still haven't made Gold just yet)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Mart81
I have the AMEX Platinum and am really pleased with it

Also gives non-status holders lounge access to the Sydney AMEX lounge (Handy for me as I still haven't made Gold just yet)
We were talking about the AMEX AirNZ Platinum Credit Card, which is not the same as an AMEX Platinum charge card.

Actually benefit is quite different too, you don't get free/complimentary lounge access with the AirNZ Platinum Amex CC.

Annual fee for the AirNZ Plat Amex is $395
Annual fee for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card is $1250
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
best airpoints credit card for a koru/gold/elite

The waiving of the fees is done in arrears but charging is done in advance hence you will always be outlaying one $195 fee.(at all times)
This is for the Westpac world card

Last edited by Beano; Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 pm Reason: more info
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
We were talking about the AMEX AirNZ Platinum Credit Card, which is not the same as an AMEX Platinum charge card.

Actually benefit is quite different too, you don't get free/complimentary lounge access with the AirNZ Platinum Amex CC.

Annual fee for the AirNZ Plat Amex is $395
Annual fee for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card is $1250

The Australian Platinum Charge Card represents amazing value compared to NZ version

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.