Wiki Posts
Search

Koru Lounge and United MileagePlus Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Koru Lounge and United MileagePlus Club

There was a small incident at the SYD lounge today where a couple insisted their $395 United MileagePlus club granted them access to Koru (Y class, no status, flying back to states on United)

What should be the verdict?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
The simple answer is no - the following is direct from the rules...

Who is entitled to use Koru or International Lounges?

Answer:
Koru members and business class ticket holders who are travelling on an Air New Zealand ticketed and departing flight the same day.
Gold or Elite Airpoints member have access to all Air New Zealand owned and operated lounges. You also have access to these lounges
Star Alliance Gold Lounges worldwide
United Red Carpet Clubs
US Airways Clubs and US Airways Envoy Lounges in the USA. Please note - only available when presenting a boarding pass in conjunction with international travel.
Silver Airpoints & Air New Zealand credit cardholders & Above & Beyond members may use complimentary single entry lounge passes for all Koru lounges in New Zealand and all Air New Zealand operated International Lounges when travelling on an Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flight the same day.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
UA paid club members get access to NZ lounges as long as flying same day on *A from that airport.

Refer *A reference guide for airline employees, page 148
https://portal.staralliance.com/star...eference-guide

Code:
                          Intl Dom Cards
                          F C  F C *G AC UA
                                      club

NZ International Lounge   ✔ ✔ - - ✔ ✔ ✔
NZ Koru Lounge            ✔ ✔ - - ✔ ✔ ✔

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 13, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller

Answer:
Koru members and business class ticket holders who are travelling on an Air New Zealand ticketed and departing flight the same day.
Gold or Elite Airpoints member have access to all Air New Zealand owned and operated lounges. You also have access to these lounges
United Red Carpet Clubs
US Airways Clubs and US Airways Envoy Lounges in the USA. Please note - only available when presenting a boarding pass in conjunction with international travel.
Silver Airpoints & Air New Zealand credit cardholders & Above & Beyond members may use complimentary single entry lounge passes for all Koru lounges in New Zealand and all Air New Zealand operated International Lounges when travelling on an Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flight the same day.
Don't believe everything NZ website says. Firstly US Airways no longer exists. Also NZ Gold/Elite's do have access to UA lounges even on purely domestic itinerary.

From Star Alliance website:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

PAID LOUNGE MEMBERSHIP CUSTOMERS
As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge2. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. 2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller

Answer:
United Red Carpet Clubs
As others have implied, IMHO Air NZ Koru 'rules' are not well written (or articlulated on the website) to make it clear about entitlements for *A non Airpoints members - status/paid.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
If they actually bothered to check United's OWN website regarding United Club lounges and partner lounges location: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx

You will find that there actually is no lounge listed for Sydney, and Auckland isn't listed either.

Other curious observations too if you click on the "Other Partner Lounges" tab:
In Melbourne AU (MEL), they choose to send people to the CX lounge, instead of either SQ or NZ
In Singapore, they choose to send people to the SATS lounge, instead of the numerous SQ lounges (even if it meant the sub-par KrisFlyer Gold lounge)

So I assume United have "enhanced" away a lot of other international locations for United Club members' lounge access.

Of course if they hold *G or travelling in J or F, *A rules apply and they could use an *G branded lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Kamadan
If they actually bothered to check United's OWN website regarding United Club lounges and partner lounges location: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx

You will find that there actually is no lounge listed for Sydney, and Auckland isn't listed either.

Other curious observations too if you click on the "Other Partner Lounges" tab:
In Melbourne AU (MEL), they choose to send people to the CX lounge, instead of either SQ or NZ
In Singapore, they choose to send people to the SATS lounge, instead of the numerous SQ lounges (even if it meant the sub-par KrisFlyer Gold lounge)

So I assume United have "enhanced" away a lot of other international locations for United Club members' lounge access.

Of course if they hold *G or travelling in J or F, *A rules apply and they could use an *G branded lounge.
Your UA link is not a good indication at all because all these lounges listed are owned by third parties. I assume these lounges are for their eligible members in addition to any lounges owned by Star carriers.

Again, Star website indicates that Star Alliance Lounge members do have access to any Star carrier owned lounges which would include all NZ owned lounges.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Again, Star website indicates that Star Alliance Lounge members do have access to any Star carrier owned lounges which would include all NZ owned lounges.
But the key word on the star alliance website is 'Business Class Lounges', could it be NZ doesn't class AKL/SYD as 'Business Class Lounges'? Then technically UA Club wold have no access.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by dadig
There was a small incident at the SYD lounge today where a couple insisted their $395 United MileagePlus club granted them access to Koru (Y class, no status, flying back to states on United)

What should be the verdict?
It does grant access.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ajnz
It does grant access.
Could it be that NZ has recently hiked the price to UA, therefore UA is refusing to pay the hiked cost?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, the varied nature of interpretation is the source of confusion. That leads me to question that Koru paid membership should also be reciprocated by other Star Alliance "Business" lounges?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by dadig
Thanks for the responses, the varied nature of interpretation is the source of confusion. That leads me to question that Koru paid membership should also be reciprocated by other Star Alliance "Business" lounges?
Probably not as NZ get charged back based on who uses another Star Alliance lounge- in Hong Kong I always use the Thai lounge and they always photocopy boarding pass so they can charge back to NZ.

If they allowed KORU same rights then I guess they may lift the cost of KORU to cover these costs?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Ignoring domestic, TT lounge access, the cost of Koru is higher than AC/UA paid memberships?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:06 pm

So I have done this several times before

Cause I have one of those United Club memberships

Its not US$395 instead its US$550 so NZ$848 which more expensive then a Koru Club Membership at NZ$580

It does not come with and priority benefits and the only thing it does is Lounge Access.

Yes the United Club membership gets you access to EVERY *A Gold Lounge when traveling before a Star Alliance Flight and Air New Zealand don't seem to understand this.

The only Air NZ Lounges I ever accessed with it were Brisbane and Christchurch and I only ever had major issues in Christchurch and in the end she pulled out a massive book with a picture of every frequent flyer card in it and found the United Club card and I was let in.

If thats the card the couple had then the should have been let in and I have had to kind of push for it at Air NZ lounges before.

Meanwhile Singapore Airlines, United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Thai and ANA have never had one problem with the card.

Its called Training Air NZ
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
But the key word on the star alliance website is 'Business Class Lounges', could it be NZ doesn't class AKL/SYD as 'Business Class Lounges'? Then technically UA Club wold have no access.
No, it is all lounges. Refer the star alliance reference guide for *A airline employees, which I linked above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.