Search

SQ to launch CBR-WLG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
SQ to launch CBR-WLG

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window...0160111-gm3dju

Looks like this is happening. SQ will launch SIN-CBR-WLG pending an announcement soon. This will be the first time a Star carrier flies across the Tasman since TG exited years ago. Hopefully there won't be any restriction with Airpoints earning like what they did to TG before (no accrual on discount economy). It will be interesting to see if NZ/VA will codeshare.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jan 11, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ*E
Here's an article that isn't behind a paywall:

AusBT Article

Great to see some potential new options out of Wellington, it could make it interesting as I'm currently based in Singapore - hopping via CBR could be an option rather than Auckland.

I'll be interested to see what the cost and connection times are like.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by KiwiJC
Here's an article that isn't behind a paywall:

AusBT Article

Great to see some potential new options out of Wellington, it could make it interesting as I'm currently based in Singapore - hopping via CBR could be an option rather than Auckland.

I'll be interested to see what the cost and connection times are like.
I would think SIN-CBR-WLG would be better than SIN-AKL-WLG. Good new announcement to see from SQ, and smart as EK would not be able to realistically serve WLG anytime soon.

I think I just want to be on the A330 as it rockets off the WLG runway now .
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Positives:
- SQ A330 will be better trans-tasman than any NZ or QF aircraft in economy, and better than NZ 777 or 787 AKL-SIN.
- Good to have direct WLG-CBR service regardless.
- Good to get immigration control completed at the SIN (or beyond) and WLG ends, compared to having to go through AKL or CHC.
- CBR transit is certainly going to be shorter than at AKL or CHC.

Negatives:
- Transit/fuel stop at CBR is unlikely to be much fun. CBR unlikely to have airside post-immigration premium lounges or many facilities, so perhaps the transit will be a rather tedious hour +.
- WLG immigration will struggle to handle an inbound A330 quickly.
- SQ A330 Business Class hard product is the regional angled-lie flat seats, which are inferior to the 77E/77W/A380 products used to CHC/AKL and the NZ 777/787 product.
- AKL or CHC departures (both the international outbounds on NZ/SQ and the domestic back to WLG) offer decent lounge access. CBR doesn't and WLG international NZ lounge will struggle to cope with a decent A330 business class load and selection of NZ/SQ/VA Golds+.

Hopefully NZ might treat at least the Trans-Tasman sector with NZ codeshare as if it is a NZ flight for airpoints dollars and status credits earning purposes.

More curiously, if this works it could arguably put paid to the idea that WLG needs a runway extension for longer haul flights.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by libertyuk
- AKL or CHC departures (both the international outbounds on NZ/SQ and the domestic back to WLG) offer decent lounge access. CBR doesn't and WLG international NZ lounge will struggle to cope with a decent A330 business class load and selection of NZ/SQ/VA Golds+.
Ex CBR you'll be able to use the Virgin Australia lounge (most likely) if you starting your trip in CBR e.g CBR-WLG. When going OOL-AKL you can use the VA Lounge in Domestic, then go to customs right before boarding.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I feel Ex WLG in any case is inferior compared to CHC/AKL regardless. If I have time I always transit via AKL/CHC almost to avoid being spotted in the WLG lounge.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
There is another limiting factor, as WLG airport is only 2,081m long. An A330-300 requires 1750m to land but is likely to be payload limited on departure as it usually requires between 2,200m & 2,500m for safe takeoff fully laden. All the same good news for our respective nations capitals.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller
There is another limiting factor, as WLG airport is only 2,081m long. An A330-300 requires 1750m to land but is likely to be payload limited on departure as it usually requires between 2,200m & 2,500m for safe takeoff fully laden. All the same good news for our respective nations capitals.
Shouldn't be an issue for the relatively short flight to CBR though.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
All the scheming plot by government employees to abuse travel expenses
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: Motionsick Planespotters, Inc.
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This will be the first time a Star carrier flies across the Tasman since TG exited years ago.
Last I checked NZ were still very much part of Star Alliance...?

Nitpicking aside, though, I am so stoked to hear SQ are coming to CBR. I will definitely choose a direct flight to SIN and/or WLG over a connection in SYD (3-4 hours away by bus or car).

I can only hope the service is sustainable long-term - I would absolutely hate for low loads to force its cancellation.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by peachtea

I can only hope the service is sustainable long-term - I would absolutely hate for low loads to force its cancellation.
See the post above by dadig...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Ex CBR you'll be able to use the Virgin Australia lounge (most likely) if you starting your trip in CBR e.g CBR-WLG. When going OOL-AKL you can use the VA Lounge in Domestic, then go to customs right before boarding.
Yes, this is true. Not available for SIN-WLG transit customers though.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
SIN-CBR-WLG confirmed today

Pretty much it's confirmed today (article via AUSBT):

Singapore Airlines will begin direct flights between Canberra and Singapore from September 20, with an initial schedule of four flights per week on a Boeing 777.
So it's going to be on a SG regionally configured 777-200 instead of an A330. Wonder how that's going to work at Wellington...

The first leg of flight SQ292 will depart Wellington at 8.15pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, to arrive into Canberra at 10.05pm. After a brief refuelling stop, SQ292 will be wheels-up again at 11.30pm for a 5.50am arrival into Singapore the following day.

The SQ291 return journey will leave Singapore at 11pm on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, to reach Canberra at 8.35am the next day, continuing to Wellington for a 3.05pm arrival.
Timing isn't too bad in/outbound from WLG, domestic connections will work OK.

Singapore Airlines CEO Goh Choon Phong indicated that its Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand would add its own NZ codeshare onto the flights before their launch.
So there will be a codeshare, logical given then NZ-SQ alliance agreement already in place.

Tickets for the new Capital Express service will go on sale from January 25 with business class fares starting from $3,166 return for Canberra-Singapore and $1,450 return for the Canberra-Wellington leg, with economy pricing at $650 and $469 respectively.
Not sure if that's in AU$ or NZ$, but seemed fair, although J between CBR-WLG seems a bit steep, then again, if you want to go direct there is no competition.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
[QUOTE=Kamadan;26046228

So it's going to be on a SG regionally configured 777-200 instead of an A330. Wonder how that's going to work at Wellington...
[/QUOTE]

Surely its going to have an bit of an impact on the Jetstar gate allocations at WLG.

Would the 772 have to park across a couple of gates?

Wonder if NZ will peal the *G logo off the WLG lounge, no way it could handle an 772 worth of status passengers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:50 pm

Times from https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/...press-service/

The afternoon rush at Wellington through Immigration, baggage claim and bio security is going to a real mess now that have a 772 arriving at the same time as the other flights pretty much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.