Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Koru & baggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Koru & baggage

I ambooked SYD/LAX next weekend in Y. I was planning on crediting to United, but the booking class G gives e NO miles (which I a pi**ed off about).
Anyway, my baggage allowance is 1 X 23kg (plus carry-on). Is it correct that if I join Koru I get an additional 23kg piece of checked baggage at no charge? Might as well credit to a program I will never use again, and get something from it.
TIA
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yes on NZ metal SYD/AKL/LAX for members of the Koru Club.

However, you do not get any extra allowance just for joining the Air NZ programme. In actual fact, it will probably save you a few bob by just paying for excess luggage rather then the few hundred dollars ++ for Koru Club membership...
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Auscal
I ambooked SYD/LAX next weekend in Y. I was planning on crediting to United, but the booking class G gives e NO miles (which I a pi**ed off about).
Anyway, my baggage allowance is 1 X 23kg (plus carry-on). Is it correct that if I join Koru I get an additional 23kg piece of checked baggage at no charge? Might as well credit to a program I will never use again, and get something from it.
TIA
Are you already a Star Alliance Gold member (seeing as you mentioned crediting to UA)? I assume not as you wanted to join Koru just for the benefit of the extra bag (as *G members would already know they can carry +1 23kg piece with NZ SYD-AKL-LAX).

If not, then yes, joining Koru would give you +1 23kg piece ONLY WHEN travelling on Air NZ ticketed/numbered/operated flights above what your original allowance is in your case.

Koru will also give you lounge access in SYD (in the new lounge) and during transit at AKL (the new lounge MIGHT be opened by the time of your travel next weekend), and if that's a return trip, access to the "award winning" LAX TBIT *A lounge as well on the flight back.
You'll also get priority baggage, priority check-in and priority boarding as well.

Whether all of those are worth NZ$835 (NZ$255 one-off joining fee & NZ$580 1 year membership fee) for just 1 flight... is up to you.

Personally I'd just pay the extra AU$150 (AU$55 SYD-AKL & AU$95 AKL-LAX, one way) for 1 extra "pre-paid" 23kg piece for your ticket, if extra space/weight is all you're after.
Note: if you do this at the airport, it'll jump to AU$320 instead, so definitely do it beforehand!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Auscal
TIA
I think you're confusing two very different things.

Airpoints is the Air New Zealand frequent flyer programme, which is (effectively) free to join. When you join you start off at Jade level, which doesn't give you any benefits in terms of additional baggage allowance. By crediting flights to this programme you can earn Silver, Gold and Elite status. Each status level gives a range of benefits, with Gold and Elite being equivalent to Star Alliance Gold.

Koru is a paid scheme that gives members access to Air NZ (and some partner) lounges, but is not Star Alliance Gold status. You still have to earn that through the Airpoints progamme. Koru membership (in addition to lounge access) also gives members additional baggage allowance, and access to some additional preferred seating.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
I think you're confusing two very different things.

Airpoints is the Air New Zealand frequent flyer programme, which is (effectively) free to join. When you join you start off at Jade level, which doesn't give you any benefits in terms of additional baggage allowance. By crediting flights to this programme you can earn Silver, Gold and Elite status. Each status level gives a range of benefits, with Gold and Elite being equivalent to Star Alliance Gold.

Koru is a paid scheme that gives members access to Air NZ (and some partner) lounges, but is not Star Alliance Gold status. You still have to earn that through the Airpoints progamme. Koru membership (in addition to lounge access) also gives members additional baggage allowance, and access to some additional preferred seating.
Thanks all for the responses. I have realised I am an idiot as I was I indeed confusing Airpoints & Koru.
Note to self - do not post late at night whilst tired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.