Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Any point in crediting those excess status points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any point in crediting those excess status points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Flygirlnz
I hate that the prem transfer counter is gone on arrival at AKl and I have to often run my bags over to domestic, soaking wet to make a connecting flight, after a business class long haul.
There is still bag drop in the AKL Intl terminal which saves you the soggy schlep to Domestic. Not premium transfer, but still better than the alternative.

As for the rest of your post, I can't say a whole lot aside from that I empathize with your situation, and I'd personally look to keep my AirNZ spend right at 2400SP and see what I could get on other airlines with the balance of my travel budget. I guess at 100k/yr, you're not a big fish in their eyes, but you're not exactly a small fish, either!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Domestic at least weekly return, sometimes more. 3-4 TT return (J where poss), 12-15 Pacific return (J. 50 pct paid, 50pct upgrades with APD), 1 x LAX and 1 x PVG or HKG or somewhere up that way (all PE plus UGs) and we'll add a South America this year with the new service.
Oneworld will probably suit better than skyteam or a second *A program. Direct flights from NZ to SCL, HKG, Australia, South Pacific (through partners) and AA rumoured to be flying to AKL next year.

F RTW awards are really expensive on the NZ airpoints programme, and also on QF. Cheaper on AA or UA programmes.

However J RTW awards are more achievable, or paid J and upgrade to F for 2 or 3 longhaul flights.

It's really puzzling to me that they treat the relationship as a long term, loyalty based one, but transact it in such an episodic way. Makes no sense on either side. Or maybe 100k pa just isn't enough to scratch the sides for them?
Those days are long gone, which is why I've switched from 100% NZ Airpoints (typically requalifying within a few weeks each year) to these days mainly using NZ for domestic and other programs for international & longhaul. Of course it isn't just the rubbish airpoints programme that has pushed me in that direction.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
And the lounges are quiet, and have excellent food and booze (e.g. real champagne, not the cheap bubbles NZ pour).
Usually two French Champagne being offered at EK operated lounges worldwide. Veuve Clicquot is usually there and waiting to be drunk

All CX lounges in HKG also have French Champagne, but it is poured by the bar staff rather than self-service.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
Thanks, all. As it turns out I have a TT right off the back of this current trip..J class Flexi same as NZ AKl-SYD, so have bought one for week after next. That'll get me 4/4 QF flight numbers by the end of the month and more than a third of the SP to maintain Gold with them for the year in the space of 3 weeks...I guess all I need is a QF earning credit card and life is compete.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Kiwi Flyer;25002355]Oneworld will probably suit better than skyteam or a second *A program. Direct flights from NZ to SCL, HKG, Australia, South Pacific (through partners) and AA rumoured to be flying to AKL next year.

Kiwi Flyer, because I am totally dense in FFP matters...so should I continue to earn with QF to get the OW status...or is there another option I should look at? I need easy as well as smart...already tearing my hair out managing 4 x NZ FF requals at different times of the year.

However J RTW awards are more achievable, or paid J and upgrade to F for 2 or 3 longhaul flights.

Yes, that makes good sense...
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zqsn5678

All CX lounges in HKG also have French Champagne, but it is poured by the bar staff rather than self-service.
Cool! Will make sure to enjoy that in Hong Kong during my connection!

I guess you have to be EP1 to get champagne with Air NZ (surely they get the good stuff in their little conference room?)
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:41 pm

My Suggestion?

Write to the NZ Head of loyalty and ask him that question - it seems a very valid question for you to ask...
Then, post his answer here
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by NZSportsTech
My Suggestion?

Write to the NZ Head of loyalty and ask him that question - it seems a very valid question for you to ask...
Then, post his answer here
Nothing secret as this info is available everywhere:
Mark Street, Head of Customer Loyalty : [email protected]

Sad to read statements like French Champagne and we have a lounge that is desperately trying to be recognised but yet is so out of touch. In true NZ approach, a pat on the back should do.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:54 am

Thanks, all. As it turns out I have a TT right off the back of this current trip..J class Flexi same as NZ AKl-SYD, so have bought one for week after next. That'll get me 4/4 QF flight numbers by the end of the month and more than a third of the SP to maintain Gold with them for the year in the space of 3 weeks...I guess all I need is a QF earning credit card and life is compete.
If you fly that much, consider QF Platinum.
OneWorld Emerald gives you + guest access to First Lounges around the world.

QF Lifetime Gold is another milestone.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: NZG,QF S
My suggestion is give QF ( EK alliance) a go for a year to see how you like it -A longer term test.
My own preference has been to maintain NZ E & then requalify QF G. This has served me well with a choice to fly the best time/availability/price. It gives me access to OW lounges which I prefer in SYD, HKG ,SIN & EK lounges everywhere.
Prior to the QF/EK alliance ,I had not been a fan of EK.Timings of flights & somewhat "clunky" service as you say. My views have somewhat changed mainly due to access to & the quality of their lounges. Quiet, quality of food & drinks. When they 'showcase' in AKL , NZ vension ,lamb & beef, Snapper,John Dory & tuna-while Koru C persists with bean casserole ,I rest my case...
EK have upgraded me 3x ,even though on QF codeshares. Clever marketing.

I still fly NZ ,love their staff, but find my loyalty is beginning to wane as well.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
There's no question in my mind that QFF is better to go for. I find maintaining WP pretty easy and you get the chance to fly EK out of AKL (and CHC). Yesterday, they upgraded me to F on a MEL-SIN EK flight! Also, the Flounges in SYD and MEL are too good to pass up.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

[QUOTE=Flygirlnz;25002561]
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Oneworld will probably suit better than skyteam or a second *A program. Direct flights from NZ to SCL, HKG, Australia, South Pacific (through partners) and AA rumoured to be flying to AKL next year.

Kiwi Flyer, because I am totally dense in FFP matters...so should I continue to earn with QF to get the OW status...or is there another option I should look at? I need easy as well as smart...already tearing my hair out managing 4 x NZ FF requals at different times of the year.

Yes, that makes good sense...
For your travel patterns QF status is likely easier to achieve than other OW programs (such as AA). However, QF awards are expensive.

I qualify QF platinum despite having lifetime gold status with QF and use my points on upgrades.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful responses, all, and sorry it has taken me some days to get here - after a pretty gruelling month of both travel and fighting a bug, the bug has won.

My Flygirliness has come to a grinding halt in picturesque Suva, where I am presently holed up in a hotel with an IV cannula hanging out of the top of my hand and 12-hourly treks up to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Totally grounded until I can actually move air through my lungs properly. Don't know how long it will be.

Advice: never, ever, ever, ever fly with a bad chest infection. Ever. I have never been so frightened in all my life as I was between top of climb/descent on the flight over here. Will not be stepping foot in an airport terminal, let alone an aircraft, until every wheeze, crackle, rumble and rattle is gone. And if you ever find yourself under the weather in Suva, head for the Private Hospital. They are absolutely stellar.

Anyways, regarding the first-world status issues that remain so pressing to me: my conclusions are:

1) I will throw some business class fares the way of QF/EK over the next couple of months to maintain at least Gold status there. I'm way over the line for NZ re-qualification this year, and just bought a PVG return in J that will also be a throw-away, from a status perspective. If nothing else, the variety will be good (I get very, very tired of the same meals over and over and over..), I will enjoy some nice, quiet lounge time, and will have a bit more flexibility re times, flights etc.

2) I *will* as suggested, once I am back on my feet, email Mark Street and ask the questions a one-to one-basis, and also suggest he might want to post here. It sounds like I am not the only one with frustrations in this area, and it sounds like others are interested in a response.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:18 am

2) I *will* as suggested, once I am back on my feet, email Mark Street and ask the questions a one-to one-basis, and also suggest he might want to post here. It sounds like I am not the only one with frustrations in this area, and it sounds like others are interested in a response.
I could be wrong, but I thought he or one of his minions started a thread here some years back. It was very gutsy of them to engage here. I think it became too much for him (or them) and then silence followed.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Thanks for all the helpful responses, all, and sorry it has taken me some days to get here - after a pretty gruelling month of both travel and fighting a bug, the bug has won.

My Flygirliness has come to a grinding halt in picturesque Suva, where I am presently holed up in a hotel with an IV cannula hanging out of the top of my hand and 12-hourly treks up to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Totally grounded until I can actually move air through my lungs properly. Don't know how long it will be.

Advice: never, ever, ever, ever fly with a bad chest infection. Ever. I have never been so frightened in all my life as I was between top of climb/descent on the flight over here. Will not be stepping foot in an airport terminal, let alone an aircraft, until every wheeze, crackle, rumble and rattle is gone. And if you ever find yourself under the weather in Suva, head for the Private Hospital. They are absolutely stellar.

Anyways, regarding the first-world status issues that remain so pressing to me: my conclusions are:

1) I will throw some business class fares the way of QF/EK over the next couple of months to maintain at least Gold status there. I'm way over the line for NZ re-qualification this year, and just bought a PVG return in J that will also be a throw-away, from a status perspective. If nothing else, the variety will be good (I get very, very tired of the same meals over and over and over..), I will enjoy some nice, quiet lounge time, and will have a bit more flexibility re times, flights etc.

Get better soon.

Don't expect anything to come out from contacting Mark Street. Air NZ doesn't care. They know they miss out with some uber-frequent flyers but have enough monopoly routes to get most without any need to offer generous benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.