Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ Budget increases departure and arrival taxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ Budget increases departure and arrival taxes

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Cheers; added to my vocabulary of TLAs
Old May 24, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SilverTP
Can't see anything yet about reinstating 10 year passports - any ideas on whether this would be announced today or later this year?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11454438

Only a few days out!
Old May 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
good questions

Originally Posted by ZaphB
. But then there's the core question; do we actually need to improve biosecurity?

This move might just be a shift to user-pays, allowing central government to lower funding of biosecurity services and therefore not amounting to any improvement at all. We shall wait and see, I guess!
Good question!

I watched a TV program where Bio Security busted a German national and fined her $400 for not declaring her dream catcher! Is that really the threat?

I also have a query for Kiwis: What assurances do we have that the additional funding will, in fact, be dedicated to biosecurity? Is this a dedicated tax?

(In Canada, we have all sorts of 9/11 and security fees which go straight into gov't coffers i.e. they have nothing to do with improving security!)
Old May 27, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I also have a query for Kiwis: What assurances do we have that the additional funding will, in fact, be dedicated to biosecurity? Is this a dedicated tax?

(In Canada, we have all sorts of 9/11 and security fees which go straight into gov't coffers i.e. they have nothing to do with improving security!)
My understanding from reading the Budget press releases is that it will; which is why we don't know exactly how much it will be yet. They're reviewing entry/exit border costs, then releasing possible levy rates for public consultation.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Looking at the Treasury Budget 2015 (Primary Sector), covering 2015-16 year, you will see that the appropriations for Border and Biosecurity Risk Management has increased to 179 million from 96.4 million (for Border only) and 74.9 million (for Domestic only) for the current year. It seems these categories have been merged.
You then have to add Policy Advice, static at around 2.5 million, development and implementation
Government accounting is complicated, but money goes into the Crown Consolidated fund then allocated out via appropriations.
There is a line for new Capital Injections across the whole of the Vote for Primary Industires but you cannot track it down to a specific project.
You will see that the combined appropriation for biosecurity has only increased by 7.6 million (171.3 to 178.9) p 70 or 40 on the pdf. So either the increased revenue and expense have not been recognised (possible as Cabinet approvals not yet given) or that this is in fact a revenue substitution from general taxation to a user fee revenue (probable allowing general revenue to be allocated elsewhere or make up funding shortfall eg deficit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.