Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ to begin IAH flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

NZ to begin IAH flights

Per the New Zealand Herald, NZ will be starting flights to IAH near the end of the year. Congrats to NZ and IAH! It's about time this happened!

I wonder what Smisek must be thinking now after he had decided to "punish" IAH for allowing WN international flights out of HOU.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum and SPG - Platinum
I really happy about this. I now live in New Zealand and can fly home to Houston non-stop. I am also glad that it is with Air New Zealand because they have really good service and with Koru membership I am sure there will be lounge access at IAH. We will have a 2 yr old an a 3 month old when this service starts so it beats having to stop in LAX or SFO with little ones. I just hope we can get good fares.

I was gutted when Smisek cancelled the IAH-AUK flight proposal. I was platinum with UA at the time. Now that I have switched Airpoints it works out better for me.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by NastyNoble357
I was gutted when Smisek cancelled the IAH-AUK flight proposal.
AUK is in Alaska. AKL is what you are after.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by pbl22
If you search the NZ forum, you'll be amazed by how many passengers are looking to fly to AUK.
Edit: "AUK" is in 45 threads in this forum.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Apr 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pbl22
Back in 2011 for the RWC my accreditation said valid for AUK, OTA, CAN, and WGN. These are Auckland, Dunedin, Christchurch, and Wellington respectively. These codes are part of the UN Locode system.

As we are talking aviation, the IATA codes are the right ones.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Back in 2011 for the RWC my accreditation said valid for AUK, OTA, CAN, and WGN. These are Auckland, Dunedin, Christchurch, and Wellington respectively. These codes are part of the UN Locode system.

As we are talking aviation, the IATA codes are the right ones.
In Locode, AUK includes the entire region around Auckland rather than the airport. OTA and CAN are the regions of Otago and Canterbury respectively, not just the cities.

They also use the codes AKL, WLG, CHC and DUD for the airports, distinct from the region names.

So everybody is correct - just don't accidentally book a flight online to AUK
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by stewardo
In Locode, AUK includes the entire region around Auckland rather than the airport. OTA and CAN are the regions of Otago and Canterbury respectively, not just the cities.

They also use the codes AKL, WLG, CHC and DUD for the airports, distinct from the region names.

So everybody is correct - just don't accidentally book a flight online to AUK
Correct - they are codes for the old provinces and usually include more than one airport.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:10 pm

Too bad they are in the 772. Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the 772 v2/retrofit do not have the 789 PE seating, correct? I looked it up on Seatguru and it appears to be less space and worse seating compared to the 773 PE configuration.

Last edited by evanaggie; Apr 19, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by evanaggie
Too bad they are in the 772. Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the 772 v2/retrofit do not have the 789 PE seating, correct? I looked it up on Seatguru and it appears to be less space and worse seating compared to the 773 PE configuration.
Half correct.

The 789 and refitted 772 share the same product across all three classes. The PE is the same and is seven abreast in the 789 and eight in the 772 (which is an improvement over the old configuration at nine abreast).

This does differ to the Spaceseats on the 77W (six abreast) but it is still a competitive and (IMO at least) pretty decent PE product comparable to other carriers.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The 777 refit has the identical PE seats as the 789.

The Spaceseat is a highly polarising product with a pretty even split between those who hate it and those who love it - there is no in-between. I know a couple of people who have flown lately who hate the Spaceseat, but love the new PE seat.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
Half correct.

The 789 and refitted 772 share the same product across all three classes. The PE is the same and is seven abreast in the 789 and eight in the 772 (which is an improvement over the old configuration at nine abreast).

This does differ to the Spaceseats on the 77W (six abreast) but it is still a competitive and (IMO at least) pretty decent PE product comparable to other carriers.

If they are the same seats, then perhaps Seatguru is wrong then in the description or maybe spacing is different. They are showing 41-19 vs 41-18.5 (77W). I assumed the 1/2" difference indicates that the seat would be different.

When I was shopping for tickets for my most recent trip, I found that the pricing of the 772 was identical for the 773 Space Seat. I avoided the 772 for that reason. Even if they put in the 789 PE seats, I'd still hope they'd charge less than the 773 PE.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Perhaps AUK is a backwards UA 1K?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
When I was shopping for tickets for my most recent trip, I found that the pricing of the 772 was identical for the 773 Space Seat. I avoided the 772 for that reason. Even if they put in the 789 PE seats, I'd still hope they'd charge less than the 773 PE.
The new 772/789 PE seat probably takes an similar amount of space, just its in 2-4-2/2-3-2

Seat Guru is pretty much wrong for most NZ aircraft. Best to checkout NZ's own website, which has the ability to see what rows have what pitch etc.

787-900
777-300ER

777-200ER (Refit)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The new 772/789 PE seat probably takes an similar amount of space, just its in 2-4-2/2-3-2

Seat Guru is pretty much wrong for most NZ aircraft. Best to checkout NZ's own website, which has the ability to see what rows have what pitch etc.

787-900
777-300ER

777-200ER (Refit)

Actually, NZ's website neglects to mention seat width. They talk about pitch and recline, but not width.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ (like pretty much every airline) don't differentiate between product type between aircraft type.

I'm also surprised why you'd think they would charge less for a 789/77R PE seat, when it's a product that some people in here will deem to be superior to the Spaceseat which I explained above in a very polarizing product and disliked by many (but also loved by many).

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Spaceseat eventually dumped on the 77W and replaced with the new PE seat due to the fact it's disliked by so many people, and the economics of it. The economics of the Spaceseat changed literally the week after the first 77W sent into service and they had to rip an entire row out because the seats were so tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.